What advice would you give your 15 year old self?

"Become a serial killer. You know you want to."

Despite my previous quotation of Mr Larkin, we have procreated and have one of each: boy 12yo and girl 9yo. Both are in boarding school and the boy has just moved up to a boarding house with older boys (up to 16) so Memsaheb insisted I had "the talk" with him before he started back so that he would not be freaked out by the older boys' banter and personal habits.
A longish drive with just him and me to get some privacy from the womenfolk proved to be a decent environment for the birds and bees nonsense and a quick overview of teenage personal time. Slightly awkward but seemed to work out. I told him to ask me any questions rather than his mother (we have a deal that she will do all the girly stuff with Tiny Temper when the time comes). Alongside the "facts" I gave him the rules:

Rule 1 - don't be a dick. This applies to family, friends and strangers equally. Twats get what they deserve.
Rule 2 - be good to your mother. I know boys are twats as I used to be one, so I can ignore stuff that will send his mother into orbit.
Rule 3 - everybody fights, nobody quits. Effort scores more than results.

As an aside, the only advice I give my airpersons is "Never say no to an offer without good reason, it might not get made again."

"You will not be a rock star!"

Yokel

LE
As an aside, the only advice I give my airpersons is "Never say no to an offer without good reason, it might not get made again."
Excellent advice for everyone of whatever age. I would add three things:

1. Make sure it takes to in the direction you want to go.
2. You never know what it might lead to.
3. Learn to say NO to things that do not offer and value to you.

Excellent advice for everyone of whatever age. I would add three things:

1. Make sure it takes to in the direction you want to go.
2. You never know what it might lead to.
3. Learn to say NO to things that do not offer and value to you.
2 is counterdicted by 1 and 3.

Yokel

LE
2 is counterdicted by 1 and 3.
Not at all - everyone knows the things they like or are likely to gain value from, but saying yes to something just for the sake of it or because it is expected leads to becoming a doormat - for life.

Mrsheeny

Old-Salt
Despite my previous quotation of Mr Larkin, we have procreated and have one of each: boy 12yo and girl 9yo. Both are in boarding school and the boy has just moved up to a boarding house with older boys (up to 16) so Memsaheb insisted I had "the talk" with him before he started back so that he would not be freaked out by the older boys' banter and personal habits.
A longish drive with just him and me to get some privacy from the womenfolk proved to be a decent environment for the birds and bees nonsense and a quick overview of teenage personal time. Slightly awkward but seemed to work out. I told him to ask me any questions rather than his mother (we have a deal that she will do all the girly stuff with Tiny Temper when the time comes). Alongside the "facts" I gave him the rules:

Rule 1 - don't be a dick. This applies to family, friends and strangers equally. Twats get what they deserve.
Rule 2 - be good to your mother. I know boys are twats as I used to be one, so I can ignore stuff that will send his mother into orbit.
Rule 3 - everybody fights, nobody quits. Effort scores more than results.

I got the birds and the bees talk, it went like this.

“You’re a bee, shag as many birds as you can”

Seriously.

Latest Threads