What advice would you give to the next Prime Minister?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
An article in the Spectator linked below gives "Ten Rules for the Next Tory Leader to Live By", and as it doesn't really fit into the "Who'll replace Boris" thread I thought I'd avoid the smiting of the ban hammer and stick it here.

Two of the "rules" particularly caught my imagination:

It’s a bottom-up world. Civil servants think in top-down ways, as if the world was a chess game and they are moving the pieces. But it’s not like that. From the English language to the internet, the world is full of things that are, in the words of the 18th century philosopher Adam Ferguson, ‘the result of human action but not the execution of human design’. Even an aeroplane is adapted from previous designs, not designed from scratch: in that sense it is a product of evolution as much as intelligent design. Ten million people eat lunch in London on most days, choosing what to have at the last minute and never going hungry, yet there is no London lunch commissioner and it would be a disaster if there were. Politicians cannot create prosperity; they can only create the circumstances in which ideas have sex.

The pessimists are usually wrong. When I was young, the adults said the future was bleak, just as they do today: the population explosion was unstoppable, famine was inevitable and pollution was going to shorten average lifespan. No adult said anything optimistic in my hearing. ‘The outlook for man is painful, desperate, and the hope that can be held out for his future seems to be very slim indeed,’ wrote Robert Heilbroner in a 1970 best-seller. Yet over the next half-century average human lifespan grew by five hours a day, extreme poverty collapsed from 50 per cent of the world to 8 per cent and child mortality fell by three quarters. Pessimism is the handmaid of statism. ‘The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary,’ said H.L. Mencken, presaging the pandemic.

I would add my own advice, hardly original, but it seems often forgotten or ignored by the lodgers in No10:

• Remember that you are in the post at the pleasure of the people, so do your best to keep promises when events allow you to (and if they don't, tell the electorate).
  • If something isn't working, stop doing it, and try something else (IF you can).
  • Always try to do what you believe is the right thing, but if that's not possible do the thing which is least wrong for the Nation. Not the Government or the Party, the Nation.
  • Defence is incredibly expensive and wasteful, until you need it. So pay as much as you can afford.

Any thoughts?

My advice would be, don't be a twat, practice what you preach, forget this woke nonsense, call a spade a spade, be honest with people. Stop enriching your friends and think of the people you are supposed to be serving - after all they put you where you are for a reason.

TamH70

MIA
Get rid of the BBC Charter, the Licence Fee, the BBC's manifold headquarters building, the Crapita contract for collecting the Licence Fee, any cooperation with the BBC, and anything else that would get rid of that organization's treacherous and insidious sabotaging of the instruments of state.

Lest they do to Truss what they were allowed to do to Johnson.

Yokel

LE
DO NOT GIVE AN OFFICIAL POSITION TO MICHAEL GOVE

My advice would be, don't be a twat, practice what you preach, forget this woke nonsense, call a spade a spade, be honest with people. Stop enriching your friends and think of the people you are supposed to be serving - after all they put you where you are for a reason.

So did their friends and that is part of the problem! That said, what happens in UK pales into insignificance compared to what goes on in many countries of the world, including the US (where pork-barrel politics is the base currency of government)..

No matter what advice you give them here, they will just go and do the exact opposite i.e. same as before.

Do not at any time appear on a TV panel game show.
Observe your own dictates and rules.
Be truthful,
Do not use 74 words, when 12 will suffice.
listen to the electorate, its they you serve, not the square mile.
Delegate to competent people, not sycophants.
Do not patronize, smirk, talk down or otherwise be condescending when giving media interviews.

NB:-Wear clean underwear, you might not hear or see that oncoming bus.

Celebrate the win with a big party in No 10 within easy view for the snapping cameras of Fleet Street.... serve some birthday cake...

Man Pig

Old-Salt
Sort illegal immigration & you'll buy yourself at least one more term. Clamp down on wokery in our public service as well, two terms. Sort the NHS into something resembling a health service your legacy will be set.

I'm surprised anyone wants the job given the state of the country. That said, my advice would be to ignore the mood of Twitter (hardly anyone uses it, and it is not representative of public opinion) and actually try to do the things the government was elected to do. After 12 years of talk and not action, excuses and 'we'll sort this out' is wearing thin.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
The slithy Gove is the most talented veteran statesman in Parliament. Not using his talents would be foolish (albeit with a sword of Damocles above his head)

Listen to your staff: the collective knowledge and experience of the ”junior” civil service is far superior to the knowledge of the “senior” civil service, SPADs, think tanks and politicians.

Plant your begonias early.

Anything else you tell them will be ignored anyway.
I no longer have any faith in them whatsoever, irrespective of party.

Social/Mainstream Media are not who you were elected by.

Social/Mainstream Media are not who you are answerable to.

Play to your voter base. 45-50% of the electorate will NEVER vote for you so stop pandering to them.
Cut taxes, income, corporation and fuel.
Suspend the net zero targets and drill for oil, gas in the North Sea. At 1% of global carbon emissions what we do or don’t do makes no difference.
Control our borders
Cut international aid. Charity begins at home and we have plenty of our own citizens to look after before we start worrying about other countries’.
Instruct police to prevent and solve actual crimes, not hurty feelings on Twitter.
Take proper control of cabinet. As PRIME minister you don’t take no from your chancellor.

Edited to add - increase defence spending. Your prime function above all is to keep us safe.

Last edited:

Mbongwe

War Hero
Prime Minister, treat with disdain the vocal minorities and pressure groups that dominate most of the news agenda; don't ever forget that it was the average man and woman, not activitists and Twitter mouthpieces, that got your party into power.