Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What about moving too ummm.....South Africa?

The oddest thing between SA and the UK is the mental adjustment regarding security. There are two windows in our SA house I regard as weakest and I place a 1/4 inch wood board down, with about 50 spaced out inverted 1" nails hammered in, every night before bed so if anyone comes in you hear a scream. I sleep with two knives and something else by the bed aside from my wife. The bedroom door is especially strengthened (as are the window bars). I may have a couple of CS grenades and do have x6 S10 gasmasks for us all. When I visit a friend's house I'm always thinking how someone gets in. All of this is in Vredehoek, Cape Town one of the safest parts.

That said SA has some great Michelin restaurants for £20 a meal and great views.

In the UK we don't have bars and I don't sleep with anything but a baseball bat near by but we are alarmed.

What a hell of a way to live.

It was, for 12 years of my life. Glass embedded in the garden wall tops, two dobermans patrolling the house (RIP the two K's), burglar guards on and pea gravel below the windows, knives and throwing stars by the bedside, oh and a .44 special under the pillow.

Having to teach my 8 year old daughter to use a handgun was.....thought provoking as well.

Admittedly Japan has more Michelin starred restaurants per head but the FX makes the dining establishments less appealing. One of the derisory recent lows was entering the Cape Town Club to be told they'd gone bankrupt after c. 120 years the day before.... Alas I went to the Nelli and paid about £8 for 3 rounds of proper drinkage.

One of my mates is relocating now (he was born and grew up there but heritage UK passport) said how 4 blacks tried to rape his neighbour as she was out running last week but they were too drunk.

It was, for 12 years of my life. Glass embedded in the garden wall tops, two dobermans patrolling the house (RIP the two K's), burglar guards on and pea gravel below the windows, knives and throwing stars by the bedside, oh and a .44 special under the pillow.
Thank you, I'll not take it personally. :)
Out of interest, which 44 Spl ?

Having to teach my 8 year old daughter to use a handgun was.....thought provoking as well.
I shoot for enjoyment as well as keeping skills in, and my laaitjie wasn't even five and he'd shot, (with little help,) things overseas shooters would kak to see let alone shoot.

This is what was wished on the country by many useful idiots who couldn't even point it out on a map but had strong opinions nonetheless (fed into their witless melons by the usual suspects).

Beautiful country.

Its got everything - the weather, the views, the wildlife, the food, raw minerals, coast, cheap land and property prices ......but the security situation turned me off.

Attacks are just too random. Taking of life is just too cheap, easy and common.

Good luck if you do take the option.

Thank you, I'll not take it personally. :)
Out of interest, which 44 Spl ?

I shoot for enjoyment as well as keeping skills in, and my laaitjie wasn't even five and he'd shot, (with little help,) things overseas shooters would kak to see let alone shoot.

Charter Arms Bulldog.

I clearly remember this scene! Funny then, still funny now!
Made before the current regime took over apparently. They wouldn't look twice at Danny Glover attempting to get in to South Africa these days as he possesses the right credentials.

Mel Gibson channeling his inner Mad Max is funny though.

Crazy Mel Gibson.JPG