What about moving too ummm.....South Africa?

Thanks for posting that. So Africa was a paragon of prosperity, peace and virtue before whitey pitched up, eh? Not a fly-blown, disease-ridden, stone age land occupied by murderous savages happily eating or enslaving each other? I think the fact the Dark Continent seems to be reverting to type suggests the latter is the more accurate assessment than the former. Still, it's all our fault. I'd give it a miss.

Girlfriend is from SA and so are many of her friends (they've all ended up in Edinburgh after studying down the road at St Andrews). I wouldn't recommend moving their from the stories she told me - sister sat next to a friend who (the friend not the sister) was killed during a car jacking for some CDs, father and a business associate were having a business meeting when some armed robbers strolled into the venue and killed most of the staff and patrons for apparently the equivalent of 30GBP, her family got raided after the family maid did a deal with some of the local crims and it took an hour for the police to turn up whilst GF was locked up in the safe room, family run hotel blown up during apartheid, etc etc.

Not something I can recommend based on the stories she's told me. According to her, everyone in SA has a story, and you don't realise how much of a bonkers, basket case country it is until you move and realise having a 10 foot high electric fence is not normal. Sure the stuff she told me about happened a long time ago, but according to the media things have gotten worse.

Have you considered Aleppo instead?

Last edited:
Piss easy and good pay, depending on what you do.
Girlfriend is from SA and so are many of her friends (they've all ended up in Edinburgh after studying down the road at St Andrews). I wouldn't recommend moving their from the stories she told me - sister sat next to a friend who (the friend not the sister) was killed during a car jacking for some CDs, father and a business associate were having a business meeting when some armed robbers strolled into the venue and killed most of the staff and patrons for apparently the equivalent of 30GBP, her family got raided after the family maid did a deal with some of the local crims and it took an hour for the police to turn up whilst GF was locked up in the safe room, family run hotel blown up during apartheid, etc etc.

Not something I can recommend based on the stories she's told me. According to her, everyone in SA has a story, and you don't realise how much of a bonkers, basket case country it is until you move and realise having a 10 foot high electric fence is not normal. Sure the stuff she told me about happened a long time ago, but according to the media things have gotten worse.

Have you considered Aleppo instead?
If she lives on Broughton Road, I've had her.

Piss easy and good pay, depending on what you do.

If she lives on Broughton Road, I've had her.
Haha no, she lives next to the Meadows. Not my favourite part of town but she likes it.

I like Edinburgh a lot though - am there this weekend but think we’re spending the weekend camping in Loch Lomond.

Last edited:
It would be an insane move. You wouldn’t be able to get any form of well paid job. You will be attacked, at least once and that’s in the safe white areas. It’s nit just Cape Town without water etc. I’m helping a guy leave right now in fact. NB We have a house down there.

If you want real adventure - yes I’m serious - become a fixer in Angola or the Congo. Lots of mining and other opportunities for a good interloper.

Dubai?

Kuala Lumpur?

Singapore?

Tokyo?

Or, if you are really serious about SA then why not consider mexico city too.
Dubai - Essex in the desert if that sort of thing appeals to you

Kuala Lumpur - far more pleasant than you might imagine and, on an ex-pat salary, you can live very well. Booze is expensive though and the local ladies not as accommodating as some other parts of Asia.

Singapore - very, very, hard for non-Singaporeans to get work visas these days. Companies will go out of their way not to hire new staff from overseas unless they have to. The burden of proof on skills (i.e. not locally available) and the cost is prohibitive.

Japan -
あなたは日本語を話せますか ?

If not, don't bother

Well, what do you expect? The idiot meant to be taking care of the country wants to sieze working farms and give them to his mates, along with other businesses and private property. No one in their right mind will invest in SA for that reason. It's quite obvious nothing was learned from the debacle in Zim.

Anyone else would be declared legally dead for having so little brain activity but these cANCer arseclowns are in charge of an economy. The mind boggles.

I am employed a few South Africans over the years,dated a couple of South African ladies and have more than a few friends from there.

To a man they all left for opportunites/safety abroad.

We often think the migrants are soley White,however many of the Black population are also looking to move if possible for the same reasons,Unanimously they agree the country is going down the pan,what started as the "Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment Act of 2003" has turned into a boys club securing jobs for the connected or those willing to pay.

And once again the question - What did the west think would happen putting a collection of thieves and thugs in charge of an economy?

I like Edinburgh a lot though - am there this weekend but think we’re spending the weekend camping in Loch Lomond.
If you're camping in the Loch what sort of tent do you have?
I guess inflatable mattresses are a necessity?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Haha no, she lives next to the Meadows. Not my favourite part of town but she likes it.

Won't you get a tad wet? I'd have thought camping around Loch Lomond would be better but to each his own I suppose.

Thanks for posting that. So Africa was a paragon of prosperity, peace and virtue before whitey pitched up, eh? Not a fly-blown, disease-ridden, stone age land occupied by murderous savages happily eating or enslaving each other? I think the fact the Dark Continent seems to be reverting to type suggests the latter is the more accurate assessment than the former. Still, it's all our fault. I'd give it a miss.
Strandlopers and Khoisan bushmen were the local tribes and sparsely scattered around the Cape when the Portuguese and Dutch landed there. Central African tribes migrated down from the North killing and enslaving the local nomadic tribes as they moved. The Dutch/British and the central African tribes came into contact around the Fish River.

Malema's ranting is utter BS as usual. Thing is, if it offers a chance of shafting whitey he'll have the EFF safely cosied up to the ANC again in no time flat.

I am employed a few South Africans over the years,dated a couple of South African ladies and have more than a few friends from there.

To a man they all left for opportunites/safety abroad.

We often think the migrants are soley White,however many of the Black population are also looking to move if possible for the same reasons,Unanimously they agree the country is going down the pan,what started as the "Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment Act of 2003" has turned into a boys club securing jobs for the connected or those willing to pay.

Very much reflects what I observed in SA - opportunites/safety abroad, and a spurious affirmative action policy (aren't they all)

I was thinking of setting up a business in SA and on trawling through the BEE legislation discovered that not all black people are black enough. As one 'coloured' taxi driver said to me, "Under apartheid we were not white enough, now we are not black enough".

Much food for fodder for thought. Thx fellas. Guess I had some sort of a "it can't be that bad" thing in my head. I know It's riddled with with crime, but I did spend good few years of life living and partying it up in Detroit. Plus all those old-ish "Fly with SAA ads" must've done a runner on me...and of course the safaris and the mountains and weather...

Cousin was a big fish in SABC ( no pun intended) as a financial correspondent. Moved there when he was 5. Married into wealthy ( but up their a#se )Afrikaans family, had children and made good. Said he planned to die there ( of old age !)
Tellingly he moved to London last year after selling his ranch at near fire sale prices.

I can only agree with what my fellow Saffas have said, only if you have a qualification that the indigenous find hard to acquire is there any chance of a job. Two of my girls have left ( UK & NZ) and the third is weighing her chances, one son is a cop as is his SWMBO and the other just left the SAPS after waiting 7 years for promotion.
Our complex has the obligatory 8ft wall with electric fence on top, but last year we suffered break-ins to five houses in one night.
What did not help is that the adjacent sub station burnt a few weeks ago and we were powerless for a week. Organised extra patrols so heard of no problems.