What about moving too ummm.....South Africa?

....It's being bouncing in my head for the last couple of months, since I left my current job in London at the end of last year (work mergers, I got of sick of it etc etc.). No, I've not been sponging off the UK tax payer(or intend to)! ;)

So, I should start looking for some work again really...cash needs coming soon..., Yes I have been schmoozing around for the last few month ;P

The easy option would be to f- back to the U.S. or find something else again in the UK.

About me: Single, no kids, no mortgage, about 35 *life flies by* ; From the U.S., UK is my current "home" since 2012 (hold the UK permanent resident resident card; if I stay here for another few months I will be able to apply for the U.K. passport as well),will be a dual US and UK citizen.

So ZA popped in my mind, something a bit adventurous, a bit out there kind of thing....a few people I know are Saffers who moved to the UK,

So what to guys think, apart from what I read in the papers, what's out there on the net? I know I probably won't make it my home or anything, but maybe for couple of year or something like that?

Is it doable? or reasonable ? Or will your replies in general be, oh, just forget it! Any ARRSErs with any experience or comments?

I am an not sponsored by a company or anything yet, so will have to go through the usual find a job, find a company who is willing to offer me a job there etc. shebang.

Not a serious thought yet, but was thinking of it, since it popped up...I was thinking that SA might be adifferent/ intersting place for a few years (if I can get work there in the first place!) to live...am willing to take substantial salary cuts (compared to the U.S or UK salaries ), take it as an adventure. Again, just something to think of over..

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ex-girlfriend of mine did it the other way round: Johannesburg to Scotland. While she only earned something approaching median wage here, the twice a year she went home she lived like a King Queen, such is the Rand to Sterling Forex situation.

If you can secure something approaching your current salary then why not? She did mention though that you have to drive absolutely everywhere; no-one walks due to the potential of mugging/stabbing/bumming.

No idea what SA is like, but well worth sticking in the UK long enough to get dual citizenship. That will potentially give you a bunch more options in future.

So ZA popped in my mind, something a bit adventurous, a bit out there kind of thing....a few people I know are Saffers who moved to the UK,
I wonder why they moved to the UK: perhaps ZA has become a bit too 'adventurous'?

FACTSHEET: South Africa’s crime statistics for 2016/17 | Africa Check

'In the 2016/17 year, the rate of murders increased to 52 a day, with 19,016 murders recorded between April 2016 to March 2017.'

'The country has one of the highest rates of rape in the world...'

She did mention though that you have to drive absolutely everywhere; no-one walks due to the potential of mugging/stabbing/bumming.
'South Africa has a high record of carjacking when compared with other industrialised countries.'

Crime in South Africa - Wikipedia

And yes, I know this is very dated now, but any excuse...

Last edited:
Dubai?

Kuala Lumpur?

Singapore?

Tokyo?

Or, if you are really serious about SA then why not consider mexico city too.

....It's being bouncing in my head for the last couple of months, since I left my current job in London at the end of last year (work mergers, I got of sick of it etc etc.). No, I've not been sponging off the UK tax payer(or intend to)! ;)

So, I should start looking for some work again really...cash needs coming soon..., Yes I have been schmoozing around for the last few month ;P

The easy option would be to f- back to the U.S. or find something else again in the UK.

About me: Single, no kids, no mortgage, about 35 *life flies by* ; From the U.S., UK is my current "home" since 2012 (hold the UK permanent resident resident card; if I stay here for another few months I will be able to apply for the U.K. passport as well),will be a dual US and UK citizen.

So what to guys think, apart from what I read in the papers, what's out there on the net? I know I probably won't make it my home or anything, but maybe for couple of year or something like that?

Is it doable? or reasonable ? Or will your replies in general be, oh, just forget it! Any ARRSErs with any experience or comments?

I am an not sponsored by a company or anything yet, so will have to go through the usual find a job, find a company who is willing to offer me a job there etc. shebang.

Not a serious thought yet, but was thinking of it, since it popped up...I was thinking that SA might be adifferent/ intersting place for a few years (if I can get work there in the first place!) to live...am willing to take substantial salary cuts (compared to the U.S or UK salaries ), take it as an adventure. Again, just something to think of over..
Are you Blick?
You will find getting a job as a honky, 'challenging'.
Ask @Oyibo about living there as an expat.

"....a few people I know are Saffers who moved to the UK."
Ask them why they moved here... and if they're considering moving back...

If you're after 'adventure' it may come in spades....<groan>..if that Julius Malema and his crowd of machete carriers gain much more momentum in the townships. The Economic Freedom Fighters are getting choppy choppy with the white farmers and it's making one of my mates out there quite twitchy

I spend 14 years in SA, lovely place and I still miss it, my advice,
SA has had its time for the white person, look for adventure in a safer place

Well, you're young enough at 35 to stand the stress and strain of living in the post-apartheid South Africa, but it doesn't sound too good to be a white person in that country these days. The black majority seems to be angry and they don't like any white person, whether he's descended from the Boers or the Brits. So far Nelson Mandela seems to be the exception that proved the rule. I'm with Delta Dog; stay in the UK until you can apply for a British passport.:salut::1:

Michael Caine Zulu.jpg

I lived in SA for a few years (Cape Town) and I loved the place, as did my wife. We made some great friends in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

It's a great country and definitely worth considering. Downside is, of course, the crime:

We ended up buying a really nice house in a good neighbourhood after a few years. And then we were burgled. I was overseas at the time, but my wife was tied up, thrown on the bed, and told she'd be killed if she told anyone. A year later we were burgled again - the police told us that generally once a house had been burgled, the feckers would wait a few months for the victims' insurance payout and subsequent new goodies to be in the house.

If I was single I would go back in a heartbeat for the great lifestyle and the people.

PS The month we left SA the police caught one of the burglars. He was sentenced to 15 years for the death threats. Policing in SA may not be the best, but sometimes it works. The judiciary certainly did.

I lived in SA for a few years (Cape Town) and I loved the place, as did my wife. We made some great friends in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

It's a great country and definitely worth considering. Downside is, of course, the crime:

We ended up buying a really nice house in a good neighbourhood after a few years. And then we were burgled. I was overseas at the time, but my wife was tied up, thrown on the bed, and told she'd be killed if she told anyone. A year later we were burgled again - the police told us that generally once a house had been burgled, the feckers would wait a few months for the victims' insurance payout and subsequent new goodies to be in the house.

If I was single I would go back in a heartbeat for the great lifestyle and the people.

PS The month we left SA the police caught one of the burglars. He was sentenced to 15 years for the death threats. Policing in SA may not be the best, but sometimes it works. The judiciary certainly did.
Tosh, I think of you every time SA living is discussed. My sincere apologies if this brings back memories you'd sooner forget.
I hope France is seeing you and your good lady well? let's take this to PM.

Tosh, I think of you every time SA living is discussed. My sincere apologies if this brings back memories you'd sooner forget.
I hope France is seeing you and your good lady well? let's take this to PM.
My memories of SA are almost exclusively of fondness. No harm done.

Dubai?

Kuala Lumpur?

Singapore?

Tokyo?

Or, if you are really serious about SA then why not consider mexico city too.
Or Kabul

If you get a British passport you can go to Cuba for your holidays...
That would be something worth considering. I'm told there are some cracking scuba diving opportunities off Santiago de Cuba. ;-)

I spend 14 years in SA, lovely place and I still miss it, my advice,
SA has had its time for the white person, look for adventure in a safer place
Agree with Anglo. You only have to look at the number of Wit-uo's who've left, leaving, planning to leave, wishing they could leave, to get a sense of the situation.

I loved my 21 years there but left in the early 90's. Visited in 98 and was amazed (or was I) at the rate of deterioration.

Adventure? There'll be violent confrontation sooner or later. Attacks on you and yours will be carried out by 2-4 people and the ferocity and ingenuity of the violence will/ would stagger you.

Look elsewhere.

What he said. The current bosses have far more racial hangups than whitey could ever imagine. They make apartheid look like amateur night.

I can only assume that the OP has a death wish.
I spent some time in Jo'burg in the mid-90s. It was pretty bad then and is much worse now.
Preferred mode of transport round town would be a Saracen as a minimum

Last edited: