What a suprise!More data goes missing!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Nov 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

When the fuc* will they learn?But it's ok,it's encrypted says 'gov tw@!

2. msr

msr LE

3. Now I don't know about you lot, but I am personally sick to death of hearing the following;

I don't deny that the government has been swift at punishing offenders in other cases. The real question is, what are they doing to prevent this happening again (and again and again and again)? Why are our security standards so low in UK that any Tom Dick and Harry can pop down the pub with a memory stick in his pocket? Where is the deterrent to stop this situation from continuing?
  4. And the Government is still insistent on ontroducing ID cards

5. I guess it's a number of things, with the all new systems we're getting more and more mobile, so instead of the old office computer we've now got laptops, memory sticks and discs, add to that the more relaxed state of working with flexible working arrangements means a lot of people are using this equipment at home, after a while they start getting relaxed and that's when things go missing or get misplaced.

The other problem is that with encryption and other forms of security there is also the need for more and more usernames and passwords, you can keep the data encrypted but most people have their passwords and so on at hand in their mobiles, home computer and so on.

So in short, you can make a system as secure as it can be, but it will always have a person working on it, that's the weak spot, i personally don't take anything away as i just don't want the extra hassle of having this stuff away from work.
  6. How many of these security breaches are from PPP and PFI initiatives?
    Yet the government continue to award massive contracts to private industry to carry out civil servant jobs (@ much greater cost), while at the same time using LEAN to cut back on Civil Servant jobs and relaxing the rules on chicking proceedures.
  7. I read this thread and then noticed that the advert at the bottom was for ebay auctioning - yes, you've guessed it - memory sticks :D
  8. Having worked with this company previously, the gateway used to be hosted from a List X site where you had to sign memory sticks, tapes in fact everything in and out from a central secure area. If at the end of the day you had not returned it, you had to justify why. All rooms were coded for access and they knew exactly who was where and when.

For whatever reason (probably cost) they decided to relocate to one of their own buildings where it would appear the security arrangements were not as high. I also believe most of the guys on the contract were replaced when it was relocated.