What A Mess

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Jimmy, Jan 28, 2002.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "they'll be appointing you to take over as HQ Mess Sec" (see what no scalies) what Mess. So the rumour goes, the Blandford messes are being handed over with the school to the purple-whoever with the Corps having squatter’s rights at best. Why can’t the whoever attending courses in Blandford stay in the Royal Signals messes, maybe disguised as garrison facilities, with a late-of being the garrison saheb …  Anyway what I heard is probably a load of arrse, anyone up for a curry in Humphs  :(
  2. Well might be a benefit if they stump up for the museum. The gen is that alternatives are on the cards even private purchase. Suppose they will choose Wernside!
  3. I have no idea why there is a drive to make everything 'Purple'. I've been to RAF Cosford and it beats Blandford hands down as a school of IT excellence.

It also has great messes, a mega gym and the chicks are very nice.
  4. Nought wrong with combining in its place. I've always fancied serving with the Battle of Britain Flight or maybe the Red Arrows. But somehow having the crabs presiding over the Corps Regimental Messes is a size 13 too far. We will need to trust the late-ofs to ensure that our heritage doesn’t follow the blue woolly pully down the old proverbial but they have the most to lose anyway. On the other hand giving up the family home to remain a tenant in it is very modern and New Labour. Can we combine chic and steal it from the naval wallahs.
  5. Indeed and we saved the Woolwich mess even after the Secretary of State had announced in the House his intention to dispose of it.
  6. If going purple means that all mess members being equal and having the same rights in their mess, even when visiting on course...Then great. Us low life Corps Mess members visting on courses ect..we haven't been made to feel welcome in our own Corps mess have we!....need I say more! ;D
  7. Couldn't agree more, uni_user.  Those on 12 month courses have to live in the shite that they call a mess whilst those on 6 month 'postings' or those bean stealing pads who are only there for 3-4 nights a week get to live in the new block.  We all pay the same subs - don't we?!  This leads me on to my next whinge - The mess is meant to be our Corps mess (for which we pay our annual Corps subs), but why is it that when you phone to book a room you get the third degree about whether you will be on duty or not and if not you have to pay B & B rates?  And why is it that it has the highest daily rate of any mess in the country even when you are on duty? Mess Incedental Allowance doesn't get near to covering the cost.  Whinge over - for now...
  8. NICE ONE MODERATORS!!  S H I T  gets translated to nuts so my caloquial "s h i t e" turns into 'nutse'.  I wondered why I had seen it on other posts.
  9. I was wondering about that and I'm the one who's supposed to be controlling that sort of thing.  I think we might just have to change that to allow s h i t e on the boards - wild and crazy or what?
  10. Techno Geek. The only way ahead is to stop whinging and take a leaf out of Lt Col Klaus von Staffenberg's book.

What von Staffenberg tried for the greater good of the Riech, you should, in some small way, try for the good of the Corps.

Boss Hog must be next!

Of course if you fail, you shall be punished with a worse fate than an interview at Prinz Alberchstrasse. Instead you will have to repeat your course......TWICE.
  11. NO! Not that! Not the repeating of the course! Couldn't you just cut my heart out - it would be a lot less painful!

Consider the job done....
  12. If there are any folks out there from any mess that have a comment to publish, then don't hesitate!

There are those who look at this page from the 'Centre of Excellence' who would be interested in what everybody has to say!
  13. Centre of Excellence...more like Periphary of Mediocrity

Perhaps its down to all those of the Corps (of all ranks and led from the Top) that have made a career out of staying in 'the Quaint Georgian Town' whilst everyone else picks up their ops tours and Ex's

An instructor can only be as good as his/her last 2 years in the rest of the Army. So how can SO3/SO2/SO1 Bits and Pieces in 1 dept in Blandford be allowed to take up another job in Blandford at the end of that tour. This applies to all depts and ranks.

If you hadn't guessed it - all of things that I worried about when I was looking at the 'Centre of Excellence' from the rest of the Corps are even more worrying when you're on the inside. Oh well, 4 months to go and a very good number after that...

Final thought - can it be such a great place of the highest standards if 1 crop circle field romping/marriage wrecking/pressurised/Sun reported Lt is here awaiting sentence ??

Apart from all of that...hello to one and all at the end of my 1st post.

14. Fair Point G.I, but as a Centre of Excellence, I'm not sure it states what in?

Would anyone care to suggest?
  15. GI interesting comments.  I have sadly been in Blandford coming up to three years.  From my experience the fact that people want to move from one post to another within Blandford suits me..it means they are:

a.  Taking up a post that quite frankly I don't want.
    b.  Not taking up a post where there is a chance of me getting another couple of medals.
    c.  Having to put up with what can only be described as "Rip Off Blandford" probably the worst Garrison town in the country.
    d.  Put up with the worst night life in the country..have you tasted the beer and paid the prices in the "Spot" or in "Tiffs"?? Best to get p**sed before leaving camp so that you don't remember going into town!!
    e.  Put up with an Officers Mess that loses its best staff at every opportunity, has a roof that leaks (including the new ones) and is run for the benefit of those that run it not for those that live in it.
    f.  Put up with a Sergeants Mess that is too small, does not have enough accommodation and again is run for the benefit of those that run it.
    g.  Put up with the fact that you have to drive 2 hours to get to a motorway that takes you anywhere.

On the plus side it does have Humphs.

I am not going to undermine any instructors, cadre or staff officers that work in Blandford.  The simple fact of life is like it or not we require Officers and Soldiers to work in Blandford, if they like it fair dinkum..its their lifestyle choice..if you're so bitter about it because you want to be there with them..I can understand your feelings...if your winge is that they should be out somewhere assisting "the greater needs of the Army on Operational Tours and exercises" well soldiers and staff from Blandford regularly do deploy on Ops and exercises in Support of the wider Army (I have), instructors also spend a lot of time on training exercises too, which you should appreciate is about as dull as ditch water for them no matter how exciting they try to make it.  Training and policy making is not the most glamourous of jobs but someone has to do it.  Let those that want to do it get on with it.  Else you will get pressed men doing it and believe me the mediocrity that you suggest is already happening will get worse.  By the way on a final note ..and to assist GI in his comments (trying to give some balance to my argument)  for the pressed men that are sent to Blandford ...new blood is essential to the whole training and policy making cycle.  Give it your best shot ... if you don't, do not expect the product to be any better than it was before you arrived or after you have left... A posting to Blandford can be an opportunity to make better the mistakes of others .. if you don't do it better, the results will always be the same....

OK ranted for long enough.... hope that bit of writing makes some sense.