Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What a Mess...In Need of a Serious Talking to...Advice Very Much Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob65

War Hero
Whilst I hold a great respect for you, your service, and your honesty, I disagree with much of your previous comments. I agree I have been set back, but failing, failing would suggest I have given up and shall not attempt it again? To be a failure is to be someone who does not attempt something they wish to achieve and failing for me would be to throw in the towel when the mind and body is still young enough to do it. However your assessment of RM training is spot on, it is full on, and each time week 1 swings around it is difficult. But time doesn't stop, so each second passing is a second closer to my lid. Even now, I believe, I am getting closer to my lid as despite being injured, every second that passes is a second closer to a re-entry date.
I would not consider a flight regiment. It is not the standard I set myself, that is not slagging off another unit but the RM has a standard and I abide by their standard. Different units, different standards I suppose. Nor does anything else except infantry interest me. If I die in the pursuit of a green lid, as you have suggested, I dare say jokingly, then at least it will be in pursuit of something I need. If I gave up, I'd hold a lot of bitterness towards family and friends who I gave it up for last time, it's not fair on them, it's not fair on me. Nothing excites me and scares me more (in a good way) than the end role of a Royal Marine.
And in regards to the fire service, it's retained, part time, I've been on and off with them for over 3 years so no drama there. They've been a great building block/foundation to achieve my real goals.

Quoting your entire comment this time given the edit at the top that makes none of this conversation make sense.

As we are being brutally honest, and bearing in mind that all I know about you is what you've posted (and deleted) here, what you write here doesn't ring true to me. You have a gap or a void somewhere in your life and you are trying to fill it and you have become fixated. You need to take a step back and do some introspection.

DarkBrig

War Hero
EDIT: You fcking savages. Since I now know where the line stands I feel confident in saying I respectfully decline much of your advice. I'm sticking with the Royal Marines. I know I can do it, if I didn't, I wouldn't pursue it. If I went with the Army I believe I'd always have the label in my head of "failed marine" looming over me. Another great comment was, "Every man thinks meanly of himself, for not having been a soldier or not having been at sea." This struck me quite deeply. I know what I need to do, and I know I can do it. Obviously it is difficult for many of you to gauge a decent understanding of a person from a single blog post. I don't think I'm some hoofing amazing bloke, I don't want to be "somebody", I just want to do something meaningful with my life and the RM ticks all those boxes. You have made me see this more clearly with the negativity, bar some positive and helpful responses.
Yep makes no sense to new posters please put the original back then add the edit below.

To the OP. You seem focused on the physical side of military life. Consider the intellectual. As an LE Captain I had a conversation with the full Colonel who had been my Sqn OC when I was a Corporal in Germany (drink may have been taken). We were talking about my then troop Sgt who, in the conversation recalled by Colonel Phil, berated my lack of running speed. The OC confessed to telling him "Cpl Devex may not be the fastest member of your Troop, but he is by far the cleverest - and I include the Tp commander in that statement- use him well".

If you have enough common sense and mental ability to be an operatonal manager in the Fire & Rescue Service then maybe look at the Intelligence Corps. There is the opportunity to serve with Cdo and/or Para/SF units and you get to use all your talents (and the Int Corps has girls - some of whom are eminently ((the remainder of this post has been deleted on the off chance that Mrs Devex - Int Corp (Retired) might see it)).

HCL

LE
To the OP. You seem focused on the physical side of military life. Consider the intellectual. As an LE Captain I had a conversation with the full Colonel who had been my Sqn OC when I was a Corporal in Germany (drink may have been taken). We were talking about my then troop Sgt who, in the conversation recalled by Colonel Phil, berated my lack of running speed. The OC confessed to telling him "Cpl Devex may not be the fastest member of your Troop, but he is by far the cleverest - and I include the Tp commander in that statement- use him well".

If you have enough common sense and mental ability to be an operatonal manager in the Fire & Rescue Service then maybe look at the Intelligence Corps. There is the opportunity to serve with Cdo and/or Para/SF units and you get to use all your talents (and the Int Corps has girls - some of whom are eminently ((the remainder of this post has been deleted on the off chance that Mrs Devex - Int Corp (Retired) might see it)).

Wrong shade of green lid though, init :D

Paging @wetsmonkey get your arrse in here and tell the OP the straight gen on goigng dagger or wings, or both. He thinks that Royals are the be all.

I'll admit to knowing a bloke who failed the reserve commando course twice so binned it and joined the Artists Rifles.
Artists Rifles? Wandering in the countryside with watercolours and an easel was bound to be an easier option surely?

EDIT: You fcking savages. Since I now know where the line stands I feel confident in saying I respectfully decline much of your advice. I'm sticking with the Royal Marines. I know I can do it, if I didn't, I wouldn't pursue it. If I went with the Army I believe I'd always have the label in my head of "failed marine" looming over me. Another great comment was, "Every man thinks meanly of himself, for not having been a soldier or not having been at sea." This struck me quite deeply. I know what I need to do, and I know I can do it. Obviously it is difficult for many of you to gauge a decent understanding of a person from a single blog post. I don't think I'm some hoofing amazing bloke, I don't want to be "somebody", I just want to do something meaningful with my life and the RM ticks all those boxes. You have made me see this more clearly with the negativity, bar some positive and helpful responses.
With all due respect, you are the one who came here asking for advice. There are members on here with combined experience in Northern Ireland, the Falklands, the Gulf, Iraq, Afganistan etc.
Paras, Marines, RAF, Navy, Guards, Cavalry, Artillery and every service, Regiment and Corps you can think of.
If your ambition is to join an elite unit, then keep trying until you succeed.
However, there are other roles in units which are maybe not given the 'Hollywood' treatment that some are given.
I was tank crew, and for me there is no better job in the armed forces. In Northern Ireland, we retrained and acted in the dismounted role as infantry.
Any member who served in the Royal Green Jackets, the Fusiliers, the Guards, the Staffords, Cheshires or any of the Infantry battalions will tell you how proud they are of their units, the conflicts and the battles they experienced, as will any Royal Engineer or Artilleryman.
What I'm trying to say is that the advice that Arte and Bob have given may sound harsh to you, but it is solid advice based on experience, and the Marines are not the be all and end all of the British Armed Forces.
Take a step back, and look at all the options.

I wouldn't even bother with an arduous course because I would have failed. My younger brother however joined the Royal Marines!!! Which is because he was much fitter than me!!
I assume that you did the Guards Depot Instructor's Course and Brecon. You've nowt to prove.

For the OP:

You are, if I may observe politely, constraining yourself by viewing the world through 'Lovat' spectacles. An analogy I'd draw is an expression a former instructor of mine used to use:

"If the exam question is 'How to do a Peppa Pig jigsaw', then a 5yr old girl rules the world and a Polar Bear - the world's apex predator - is absolutely useless "

What I'm getting at is that if you view the only worthwhile achievement in the world as one thing (i.e. RM Green Beret) then you are going to maul yourself until you get one, and if you never do then it will eat away at you until the end of time.

For perspective, I have served in NI, Afghanistan, Iraq and various * level HQs with RM Officers (green & black) up to and including the rank of 2*. The 'Green Machine' is simply not what it's self-serving PR machine tells the world that it is. Theirs is one of the best PR systems that I have ever seen, who selectively present the positive and hide / lie about / deflect attention from the negative.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I feel this is going well

Apologies to @The_Duke, the OP asked for a Serious Talking To, and then edited his OP to the above.

So here’s a serious talking to from a very-ex-SNCO. Get them fkn heels together and pin your ears back.

You’ve tried RM training, twice, from what I recall of the OP (v1). You have not failed in life, you have failed in RM training/selection. You haven’t demonstrated what they are looking for. Maybe you just don’t have it, and to be brutally frank, the edit of the OP demonstrates to me that you have difficulty handling criticism. That might be alternately described as “adversity”.

Yet you go back to fire-fighting. So you have some of the qualities the Armed Forces are looking for, but maybe not the fit for the RM. BTW, a “Failed Marine” is someone what has been in the RM, but left because they couldn’t hack it or was kicked out. “Marine” as the noun implies that you actually were one. “Marine Failure” would be more apt.

My advice is to identify where you have succeeded, and where not. Concentrate on what you’re good at. Everyone has those aspects. I’m useless at drawing/art for example. I couldn’t draw a dog without it looking like a rabbit. But give me a logical problem and I’ll fix it. Ask me to run 15 miles with a Bergan? Go fvck yourself. Ask me to lift 300lbs? No problem.

Asking for advice, indeed a stern talking to, and then coming up with “you fkn savages” is demonstrative that you’ve been, and still are, barking up the wrong tree. Go find a different tree, climb the fvcker and sing from the tree tops that you did it.

Best of luck.

Stand at ease, stand easy.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Green and black?

mint chocolate?

1607727516202.png

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
OP, have a day off. Then have a think about joining the RM/Army/even RAF regiment as a private. Then have a read of your posts and ask yourself would you really want that person as your platoon commander?

So here’s a serious talking to from a very-ex-SNCO. Get them fkn heels together and pin your ears back.

You’ve tried RM training, twice, from what I recall of the OP (v1). You have not failed in life, you have failed in RM training/selection. You haven’t demonstrated what they are looking for. Maybe you just don’t have it, and to be brutally frank, the edit of the OP demonstrates to me that you have difficulty handling criticism. That might be alternately described as “adversity”.

Yet you go back to fire-fighting. So you have some of the qualities the Armed Forces are looking for, but maybe not the fit for the RM. BTW, a “Failed Marine” is someone what has been in the RM, but left because they couldn’t hack it or was kicked out. “Marine” as the noun implies that you actually were one. “Marine Failure” would be more apt.

My advice is to identify where you have succeeded, and where not. Concentrate on what you’re good at. Everyone has those aspects. I’m useless at drawing/art for example. I couldn’t draw a dog without it looking like a rabbit. But give me a logical problem and I’ll fix it. Ask me to run 15 miles with a Bergan? Go fvck yourself. Ask me to lift 300lbs? No problem.

Asking for advice, indeed a stern talking to, and then coming up with “you fkn savages” is demonstrative that you’ve been, and still are, barking up the wrong tree. Go find a different tree, climb the fvcker and sing from the tree tops that you did it.

Best of luck.

Stand at ease, stand easy.
Thank you for the honesty and the fact you’ve taken the time to write back to me, I do highly appreciate it. Apologies that I deleted the backstory to my post, it was gaining a fair amount of traction as you can see and I figured it’s relatively easy to deduce who I actually am with the information I provided due to the rarity of my track record. I’d just like to keep it private, to a degree, and I had found the advice that struck a chord with me the most and therefore thought I’d get rid of the main post.
You are spot on, I could be barking up the wrong tree. I suppose I get defensive about people saying the RM isn’t for me simply because my last experience I created such a bond with the lads that as chad as it sounds they are like your brothers, and coming from my background it was an incredible feeling. I still am connected to them now, and Id honestly say I’d risk my life for them, I was spoilt quite frankly. Spoilt by the teamwork and sense of family I felt in the marines, so you are right in that sense. Playing to your strengths is great, but you don’t improve on your weaknesses. Thank you again for the advice and despite my objection, I have taken it on board.

Theirs is one of the best PR systems that I have ever seen, who selectively present the positive and hide / lie about / deflect attention from the negative.
You could say the same about large parts of the army, Guards and Gurkha just being two examples and indeed the RAF and RN.

I'll admit to knowing a bloke who failed the reserve commando course twice so binned it and joined the Artists Rifles.

I knew one who did Artists and was invited over to RMR. He joked that selection for his part of RMR took an hour, which included a warm brew...............but then he got extra speshul shit at Poole to make up for it. He held the time record for the Devizes to Westminster canoe race for a while, sound bloke........RIP Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads