Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What a Mess...In Need of a Serious Talking to...Advice Very Much Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: You fcking savages. Since I now know where the line stands I feel confident in saying I respectfully decline much of your advice. I'm sticking with the Royal Marines. I know I can do it, if I didn't, I wouldn't pursue it. If I went with the Army I believe I'd always have the label in my head of "failed marine" looming over me. Another great comment was, "Every man thinks meanly of himself, for not having been a soldier or not having been at sea." This struck me quite deeply. I know what I need to do, and I know I can do it. Obviously it is difficult for many of you to gauge a decent understanding of a person from a single blog post. I don't think I'm some hoofing amazing bloke, I don't want to be "somebody", I just want to do something meaningful with my life and the RM ticks all those boxes. You have made me see this more clearly with the negativity, bar some positive and helpful responses.

Last edited:
Apply rule 67!

SK

Rab_C

LE
So to sum up your question, should you take second best just to save time?
If you’re really considering that then maybe you aren’t RM Officer material?

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
So you've:
1) Jacked RM officer training
2) Jacked RM OR basic
3) Jacked RM OR basic again
4) About to jack the F&RS

and now want a fourth go with the RM?? I'd stick with the RM as I can't see the army giving out a valuable space at Sandhurst with that kind of track record.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
It seems to me that having attended an arduous course (harder than most can manage) you needed time to recover, time that was not available on the course.

After quitting and getting that 'oh so longed for rest' you reapplied and the same thing happened. There is no rest on these types of courses, that's the point, if it was easy (and not relentless) everybody would be wearing a Green Beret wouldnt they?

My point is that these type of military engagements will not be better second third time around, it'll be worse, you'll know what's coming next and your body will sag.

Join the military by all means, have a crack at a commission but somewhere else in the forces. You can still lead men in top flight Regiments without the amount of pain you put yourself through on a RM or Para course.

Aye, doing a civilian job like the Fire and Rescue Service is a grand career, so why jack that in as well? (They wont be best pleased if you do and rejoining them might be a problem.)

It's not all about fitness either, the fittest of men wont get through an arduous training course if they are not mentally fit for the challange.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but you've failed, many do, so set your sites on a military role that won't kill you trying to get in.

All the best in whatever you decide.

To clarify, the fire service is on call duty systems, something I've been with for over 3 years. It's part time. Surely failing is not trying? I was injured in training and discharged. I left the other time due to concerns over family (the little I have). I am not trying to muster sympathy, but trying to convey my situation. I've wanted the forces since the age of 3.

So you've:
1) Jacked RM officer training
2) Jacked RM OR basic
3) Jacked RM OR basic again
4) About to jack the F&RS

and now want a fourth go with the RM?? I'd stick with the RM as I can't see the army giving out a valuable space at Sandhurst with that kind of track record.
Seen.

I jacked officers training
I left OR due to family concerns
I was discharged on medical grounds third time
And I have always been able to return to the fire service, I've been with them on and off over 3 years. It's on call.

DarkBrig

War Hero
As the old saying goes:

"Every man thinks meanly of himself, for not having been a soldier or not having been at sea."

Hopefully not but I suspect you will end up being one of them

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Join the Marines again. Stick it out as a lad.

If you’re as awesome as you think you are, become an officer later down the line once you’ve sorted your shit out.

Otherwise you’ll spend your entire Army career as a failed Marine.

Hairy-boab

Clanker
I chucked/was injured the RMR after attending the two week Lympstone course at the end of phase 1 alpha. I regret it every. single. day. and it was nearly 15 years ago.

You are young enough to make something stick, do it!

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
To clarify, the fire service is on call duty systems, something I've been with for over 3 years. It's part time. Surely failing is not trying? I was injured in training and discharged. I left the other time due to concerns over family (the little I have). I am not trying to muster sympathy, but trying to convey my situation. I've wanted the forces since the age of 3.
My bold.

Trying and failing get into one of the worlds most hardcore units is failing. However it is not a fail to be embarrassed about. Most mortals, including me with a solid 15 year Army career behind me, wouln't even have considered it.

Bob65

War Hero
I'm sticking with the Royal Marines. I know I can do it, if I didn't, I wouldn't pursue it.

Firstly you don't know, you believe. You know at the point they hand you your green beret. It's good to be motivated but it's also necessary to be completely honest with yourself (you don't have to be with us if you don't want to). What is it that you really want?

• To be a Marine, specifically (and if so why)
  • To be a member of any elite unit
  • To be an officer
  • To serve your country in any capacity

It may be given the repeated attempts that you are just not cut out for RM. That's fine, not everyone is, and it doesn't mean you can't do something useful. Defence is a machine and All Cogs Matter. When you're old you can look back on an honourable career as something else or you can become one of those guys who "would have joined but..."

I didn't get my first choice of unit either. At first I was disappointed but actually I landed on my feet in the unit I did get, if I'd known how it was going to work out I would have gone for them first, no question. So you never know.

My bold.

Trying and failing get into one of the worlds most hardcore units is failing. However it is not a fail to be embarrassed about. Most mortals, including me with a solid 15 year Army career behind me, wouln't even have considered it.
Whilst I hold a great respect for you, your service, and your honesty, I disagree with much of your previous comments. I agree I have been set back, but failing, failing would suggest I have given up and shall not attempt it again? To be a failure is to be someone who does not attempt something they wish to achieve and failing for me would be to throw in the towel when the mind and body is still young enough to do it. However your assessment of RM training is spot on, it is full on, and each time week 1 swings around it is difficult. But time doesn't stop, so each second passing is a second closer to my lid. Even now, I believe, I am getting closer to my lid as despite being injured, every second that passes is a second closer to a re-entry date.
I would not consider a flight regiment. It is not the standard I set myself, that is not slagging off another unit but the RM has a standard and I abide by their standard. Different units, different standards I suppose. Nor does anything else except infantry interest me. If I die in the pursuit of a green lid, as you have suggested, I dare say jokingly, then at least it will be in pursuit of something I need. If I gave up, I'd hold a lot of bitterness towards family and friends who I gave it up for last time, it's not fair on them, it's not fair on me. Nothing excites me and scares me more (in a good way) than the end role of a Royal Marine. And in regards to the fire service, it's retained, part time, I've been on and off with them for over 3 years so no drama there. They've been a great building block/foundation to achieve my real goals.

ACAB

LE
My bold.

I wouldn't even bother with an arduous course because I would have failed. My younger brother however joined the Royal Marines!!! Which is because he was much fitter than me!!

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Whilst I hold a great respect for you, your service, and your honesty, I disagree with much of your previous comments. I agree I have been set back, but failing, failing would suggest I have given up and shall not attempt it again? To be a failure is to be someone who does not attempt something they wish to achieve and failing for me would be to throw in the towel when the mind and body is still young enough to do it. However your assessment of RM training is spot on, it is full on, and each time week 1 swings around it is difficult. But time doesn't stop, so each second passing is a second closer to my lid. Even now, I believe, I am getting closer to my lid as despite being injured, every second that passes is a second closer to a re-entry date.
I would not consider a flight regiment. It is not the standard I set myself, that is not slagging off another unit but the RM has a standard and I abide by their standard. Different units, different standards I suppose. Nor does anything else except infantry interest me. If I die in the pursuit of a green lid, as you have suggested, I dare say jokingly, then at least it will be in pursuit of something I need. If I gave up, I'd hold a lot of bitterness towards family and friends who I gave it up for last time, it's not fair on them, it's not fair on me. Nothing excites me and scares me more (in a good way) than the end role of a Royal Marine. And in regards to the fire service, it's retained, part time, I've been on and off with them for over 3 years so no drama there. They've been a great building block/foundation to achieve my real goals.
I never said for one second that you are a failure.

You failed a course, more than once. As I keep banging on about, you have had a few attempts at one of the toughest courses that exist. You have failed them, this does not make you a failure.

QRK2

LE
I wouldn't even bother with an arduous course because I would have failed. My younger brother however joined the Royal Marines!!! Which is because he was much fitter than me!!
I'll admit to knowing a bloke who failed the reserve commando course twice so binned it and joined the Artists Rifles.

HCL

LE
Join the Marines again. Stick it out as a lad.

If you’re as awesome as you think you are, become an officer later down the line once you’ve sorted your shit out.

Otherwise you’ll spend your entire Army career as a failed Marine.

What's wrong with enlisting in the Army and going for your green lid and dagger once you're settled: commandos were Army first before the RM slid in under the wire and tried to nick it for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads