What a 'banker'.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by chocolate_frog, Apr 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's hardly his fault they spent all that money.

They should think themselves lucky, in a village by where my parents live Lever Brothers (the soap company) still tell you what colour your front door can be, what windows you can have and ban you from having a satellite dish on your house.

2. How the **** does that work?
  3. Soaps are sodium or potassium fatty acids salts, produced from the hydrolysis of fats in a chemical reaction called saponification. Each soap molecule has a long hydrocarbon chain, sometimes called its 'tail', with a carboxylate 'head'. In water, the sodium or potassium ions float free, leaving a negatively-charged head.
    Soap is an excellent cleanser because of its ability to act as an emulsifying agent. An emulsifier is capable of dispersing one liquid into another immiscible liquid. This means that while oil (which attracts dirt) doesn't naturally mix with water, soap can suspend oil/dirt in such a way that it can be removed.
    The organic part of a natural soap is a negatively-charged, polar molecule. Its hydrophilic (water-loving) carboxylate group (-CO[SUB]2[/SUB]) interacts with water molecules via ion-dipole interactions and hydrogen bonding. The hydrophobic (water-fearing) part of a soap molecule, its long, nonpolar hydrocarbon chain, does not interact with water molecules. The hydrocarbon chains are attracted to each other by dispersion forces and cluster together, forming structures called micelles. In these micelles, the carboxylate groups form a negatively-charged spherical surface, with the hydrocarbon chains inside the sphere. Because they are negatively charged, soap micelles repel each other and remain dispersed in water.
    Grease and oil are nonpolar and insoluble in water. When soap and soiling oils are mixed, the nonpolar hydrocarbon portion of the micelles break up the nonpolar oil molecules. A different type of micelle then forms, with nonpolar soiling molecules in the center. Thus, grease and oil and the 'dirt' attached to them are caught inside the micelle and can be rinsed away.
    Although soaps are excellent cleansers, they do have disadvantages. As salts of weak acids, they are converted by mineral acids into free fatty acids:
    CH[SUB]3[/SUB](CH[SUB]2[/SUB])[SUB]16[/SUB]CO[SUB]2[/SUB][SUP]-[/SUP]Na[SUP]+[/SUP] + HCl → CH[SUB]3[/SUB](CH[SUB]2[/SUB])[SUB]16[/SUB]CO[SUB]2[/SUB]H + Na[SUP]+[/SUP] + Cl[SUP]-[/SUP]
    These fatty acids are less soluble than the sodium or potassium salts and form a precipitate or soap scum. Because of this, soaps are ineffective in acidic water. Also, soaps form insoluble salts in hard water, such as water containing magnesium, calcium, or iron.
    2 CH[SUB]3[/SUB](CH[SUB]2[/SUB])[SUB]16[/SUB]CO[SUB]2[/SUB][SUP]-[/SUP]Na[SUP]+[/SUP] + Mg[SUP]2+[/SUP] → [CH[SUB]3[/SUB](CH[SUB]2[/SUB])[SUB]16[/SUB]CO[SUB]2[/SUB][SUP]-[/SUP]][SUB]2[/SUB]Mg[SUP]2+[/SUP] + 2 Na[SUP]+[/SUP] The insoluble salts form bathtub rings, leave films that reduce hair luster, and gray/roughen textiles after repeated washings. Synthetic detergents, however, may be soluble in both acidic and alkaline solutions and don't form insoluble precipitates in hard water. But that is a different story...
    • Like Like x 20
  4. They built the village (Port Sunlight) around their new soap works in the late 19th Century. 'In order to preserve the character of the village' there's limits on pretty much everything that can be done externally on the houses in the village.

My sister's just moved into a house there, she's had to put her satellite dish on a small pole (Ignacy wasn't happy about it but **** him) in the back garden below the level of the back wall so it can't be seen from outside the property.

I don't think it's the only place in the UK with those kind of rules either - I'm sure I've read about one of those villages in Yorkshire where they film all the Bronte sisters type films where there's similar restrictions.
  5. They built the village, bom cha bom, they built the village on rooock and roooooo-ooooolllllll
    • Like Like x 2
  6. ****.^_^
  7. There are a few places like that Hampstead Garden Suburb was thought up by Dame Henrietta Barnett as a nice place for rast Londoners to live. So nice in fact that if any of them got there before the rich moved in I'd be suprised. Planning permission has to be sought from both the LA, and the HGS society, guess which is stricter? Unless you're on the commitee, alledgedly.

Windows, hedges, and myriad other requirements. Doctors can set up, but not dentists, trade you see. No pubs, which meant that a winebar set up in the Market Place, as they hadn't been invented when the suburb was built.

Also think about owning a listed building.

I wonder what the full story is on the banker, it does mention that he has invested money in the place, and five odd villagers out of how many?
  8. Quality. I hope he buys some more, just to piss more people off.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. There are numerous examples around the country like the village of Port Sunlight. National Trust-owned estates such as Laycock have pretty stringent regulations on property developments/enhancements. Bucklers Hard is another.
    Personally, I think it is great, as it preserves the originality of the locations and I don't live there! It always crosses my mind when visiting these places how the locals can put up with the hordes of tourists tramping past their front windows - it would get on my tits and seems too high a price to pay for the dubious prestige of living in one of these iconic sites.
  10. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few villages still owned by local landowners. I'm sure there's one near Brighton or Chichester that can only use a certain shade of green on their outdoor woodwork.
  11. why didnt these people just tell him to F off and sling one ? how did they expect anyone in the legal profession to look up 800year old books
    on the cheap ? no way. Goes to show how some people have got their heads up their arses. The law has no moral purpose, its made by the lawmakers and serves their interests. These idiots and busibodies should have let HIM take them to court to move the damn car.

ps as a peasant I would have insisted on my right to pay the lords tithe in pig dung... and placed it on his drive before cockcrow every month
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The article is irresponsible biased reporting in the extreme. He didnt make them run up legal bills, they chose to do so. They lost their case in a court of law - that is generally accepted as meaning he was in the right.

Further, he has invested significant amounts of his own cash in improving the local area - for the benefit of all.

He may be an arrogant, self important twat but the article is very chippy and one sided.
    • Like Like x 4
  13. Bourneville, the Cadbury "village" near Birmingham used to have many regulations including no pubs as the Cadbury family were Quakers. I don't know if it is still the case.