What’s the gen?

Could any serving or ex members of the defence forces give me any gen on how the defence forces is like at the moment. I served 5 years in the BA and left as a Lance jack mainly because I missed home and ultimately decided I’d rather live in Ireland than the UK. Been out a while now but approaching the age where it will be too late for the Irish Army soon so thought I’d give it another go.

Where is the best place to be based? What regiment/battalion is the best to go to etc. I’m also open to the Navy as an option as well but think Army may be handier as I won’t have to learn much new stuff. As someone who at this stage just wants a relatively easy life in service which is better? I would imagine navy but then again they are probably away a lot more.

SignalFire

Old-Salt
Terrible, Apparently there's a recruit platoon in the Reserve Defence Forces who joined in 2019 and are still waiting for their Medicals.

Could any serving or ex members of the defence forces give me any gen on how the defence forces is like at the moment. I served 5 years in the BA and left as a Lance jack mainly because I missed home and ultimately decided I’d rather live in Ireland than the UK. Been out a while now but approaching the age where it will be too late for the Irish Army soon so thought I’d give it another go.

Where is the best place to be based? What regiment/battalion is the best to go to etc. I’m also open to the Navy as an option as well but think Army may be handier as I won’t have to learn much new stuff. As someone who at this stage just wants a relatively easy life in service which is better? I would imagine navy but then again they are probably away a lot more.

I was told by an Irish soldier of my acquaintance that it's easier to get into Trinity College than to join the Irish Army. I thought he was exaggerating but he mentioned that he'd had to get the assistance of his local TD to get his application processed.

I was told by an Irish soldier of my acquaintance that it's easier to get into Trinity College than to join the Irish Army. I thought he was exaggerating but he mentioned that he'd had to get the assistance of his local TD to get his application processed.

There is still a lot of interest but retention is a major issue

Terrible, Apparently there's a recruit platoon in the Reserve Defence Forces who joined in 2019 and are still waiting for their Medicals.

PDF and RDF very different beasts, PDF get priority for recruitment (recruitment for RDF was suspended for covid)

Over worked, undermanned and underpaid

The independent Commission on the Defence Forces is due to report to Government at the end of the year and they cannot be accused of not putting the work in. Their report will decide the future of the DF for the next 10-20 years.

There is no direct transfer from BA (unlike with NZ, Australia etc) so you start from recruit.

What age are you?

Over worked, undermanned and underpaid

The independent Commission on the Defence Forces is due to report to Government at the end of the year and they cannot be accused of not putting the work in. Their report will decide the future of the DF for the next 10-20 years.

There is no direct transfer from BA (unlike with NZ, Australia etc) so you start from recruit.

What age are you?
Just how different are the skills n drills, can’t be that much of a difference

You have to be under 25 at time of application
So you could in theory apply the day before your 25th birthday and still get in? We had a fella in my company who claimed he went for the Irish army but because he was so close to the cut off they shifted him to the navy against his wishes and ended up sacking it and coming across the pond instead.

Pay wise (gross):
Recruit (first 16 weeks) - € 429
Pte 2* (varies I think about the next 10 weeks) - € 500
Pte 3* - starting on € 572

Those include Military Service Allowance but not other allowances

Accomodiation will be nothing like SLAM

Pay wise (gross):
Recruit (first 16 weeks) - € 429
Pte 2* (varies I think about the next 10 weeks) - € 500
Pte 3* - starting on € 572

Those include Military Service Allowance but not other allowances

Accomodiation will be nothing like SLAM
I’ve heard that there’s no living in, is this true?

So you could in theory apply the day before your 25th birthday and still get in? We had a fella in my company who claimed he went for the Irish army but because he was so close to the cut off they shifted him to the navy against his wishes and ended up sacking it and coming across the pond instead.

Not 100% now it is under 25 on the closing date for applications (but now open all the time) but it is under 27 for the Naval Service

I’ve heard that there’s no living in, is this true?
Officially you request permission to live out

There is living in (as I said no where near SLAM standard) but generally most live out (after recruit and 2* training).

You were asking where to join the Naval Service has one base Haulbowline in Cork. The army you apply to join in South, North or Curragh. You’ll be trained at a location in that area and generally stay within that formation. Where would I choose? I suppose it depends where home is.

SignalFire

Old-Salt
PDF and RDF very different beasts, PDF get priority for recruitment (recruitment for RDF was suspended for covid)
But why?

I know the RDF don't deploy abroad with the regulars, and do mostly aid to the civil service/police security work in Ireland. Surely recruiting for the Army should be considered *essential*.

The Reserves in Ireland is still like the old TA Army in the UK.

Home is Munster so I presume I’d be trained in the curragh. Haulbowline is close enough as well

You could apply to join 1 Bde (mainly Munster) and generally be able to be posted (not necessarily where you want to go) to Cork, Kilkenny, Limerick, Galway or a few smaller locations.

Latest Threads