Whale wallops yacht off coast of SA

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by chasndave, Jul 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Attached Files:

2. Some years ago I had a little 15ft Dijon fast fishing boat, one day fishing at anchor about a mile off Mumbles, we suddenly jumped forward a couple of metres, and a few moments later the same thing happened, now the sea was like a mill pond and there seemed no reason for this to happen untill a f***king gihuge Basking Shark came to the surface alongside us, it was at least a few feet longer than my boat and it was rubbing itself against my anchor rope, which was steel cored pollypropalene, that I had pinched from British Telecom. and on inspection was totaly f***ed as the sharkskin had almost worn right through it. You see some very strang things when playing in boats.
  3. [Pedant]
    Orca orcinus it ain't - Eubalaena australis
  4. You're going to need a bigger boat.
  5. This was no boat accident!
  6. Now that really does take the prize for the biggest fish to get away! I hope you sent all the details to the Angling Times! :)
  7. Worse things happen at sea. Or not.

Many years past a mate of my Dad got his stickies on some dosh and did what any right thinking person would do. He bought a converted MTB and spent even more money finishing off to a very high standard. Now it was a very handsome craft by all accounts but the word "folly" does not even begin to cover it.

It is late one afternoon and our man, complete with passengers by now praying for a rapid and merciful death, has nearly completed what was a very rough crossing from France. Never afflicted by sea sickness, he has been laughing in the face of the elements by quaffing copious amounts of Gin.

Getting dark now, turning nastier but gets to his moorings in Ramsgate. It went well enough until the final stage when, in the course of making a tight turn against a strong wind, he claimed the throttle of one of the humungous engines got stuck near full open and he rammed a grotty yotty boat. Not that hard by his account but, no matter how he dressed it up, it sank. Not very deep to be sure and easily refloated, but it sank. The role of the Gin was never fully explained.

The owners of that boat had just spent three days fighting their way back to Ramsgate having been partially dismasted and at one point found themselves in a sticky and dangerous spot indeed. At that very moment they were in the bar recounting their escapade.
  8. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I know exactly what one of the blokes in the yacht was saying just before the whale arrived .. "Nice and safe here, no pirates down this way .."
  9. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Heard interview on Radio Scotland. Crew was Husband and wife, wife was being interviewed.

Had been watching whales for an hour, they were heading off when this one breached about 100m in front, then 20m in front hubby sent her to get camera as he had wheel cos he thought the next one might be close, she'd just got camera when she heard him shout "shit" and as she looked big splash and mast down.

She immediately went below to start engines! Didn't take any pics, taken by a tourist boat also out whale watching.

Apparently insurance doesn't cover it.