Wetherspoons to ban parents with kids after 2 alcoholic drinks.

I asked a barmaid at the Spoonies next to the UJC once what real ales they had on. She looked at me blankly and asked what a real ale was. I advised her not to worry and I would figure it out for myself.
They did used to have "training sessions" for staff whenever a bunch of new guest ales came on, or when there was a "festival" approaching. That was binned off due to the high staff turnover. In fairness the online training package is pretty good and covers alot. It does not however teach you how to be a decent barperson.. It's a bit like passing your driving test.
You do have to think also and this is not making excuses but the young kids working there were on well over a quid less an hour than me for doing the same job! So there is no wonder they are often miserable as fcuk and show little interest. Bums on seats.
With this control aspect and everything though it is very difficult when the managers generally sit up in the office and you have 17 year old girls waitering on, or 18 yr olds behind the bar. Through no fault of their own these people are often shy and reserved and more than likely just cutting their teeth in the big wide world, there is no wonder they don't do or say anything. They don't want the confrontation and more than that don't want to get in trouble and lose their job.
It's different when you pile in there at my tender age, don't give a shit and fully aware where the door is if some "manager" as he/she has been given the badge that hour has a go. Treat people with the respect they deserve has always been my motto. Never fails. I even kicked one of my mates and his family out as his kids were licking the sauce bottle tops, " but mate ..blah blah blah" "teach your kids not to be fcucking mingers" in another pub following day he apologised, simples.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
They had this on Jeremy Vine yesterday and spoke with a bloke from Wetherspoon's head office. The manager of a particular Wetherspoons put up a poster proclaiming that they would only serve parents who were accompanying children 2 alcoholic drinks. The poster has since come down - I would assume the manager met with the area manager and enjoyed a chat without coffee.

The Wetherspoons head office bloke said that the 2 drinks thing is a corporate guideline for managers, basically so that they have a default position to fall back upon and still receive corporate support for their decision should they put it into action.

Interestingly after the Wetherspoons bloke chatted saying they had taken the poster down, and not really supporting the managers actions the callers to the Vine programme disagreed. Most people are pissed off with parents rolling up for their session with kids in tow and then just letting the kids run riot. One bloke called in who had been in the trade and he stated that there seems to be a flick of a switch with parents when they arrive with kids that the staff will take responsibility for them and yet act all affronted and get argumentative when told their spawn are not behaving.
There used to be a really nice restaurant near me. Big outside area that would in the summer be taken over by yummy mummies, díckhead daddies and their 4x4 prams, etc.

SWMBO, me and a HUGE Saffer mate of mine were sitting near the grassy area farthest from the building. Parents were up on the terrace, studiously ignoring the throng of kids behaving like howler monkeys. Then it became fun to start throwing gravel. Then SWMBO gets belted on the back of her head by a football.

That got a, "RRRRRIGHT! ENOUGH!" from me.

A couple of the dads sauntered over to sort things out. Saw me and the silverback with me, and then suddenly miraculously started parenting again.

It's not just 'Spoons. Unfortunately, it's everywhere these days.

Could say the same about Italy, all though the odd one was a pain.

We were at a big outside alfresco do with others plus our dog. This 8 year old Italian boy was just pulling and pushing our dog even though we had asked him not to, suddenly our dog gave him a little bite, totally out of character for the dog and the boy burst in to tears. We were mortified, the parents came over, had seen what happened. Us expecting the worst sat waiting for a full on row. The father cuffed the boy, patted the dog on the head, the wife said he wont learn till he learns and walked off.
You were at a big outside alfresco do?

As opposed to one of those big indoor alfresco dos?

It's not just 'Spoons. Unfortunately, it's everywhere these days.
Indeed. Paradoxically, while parents seem to keep their delightful offspring within supervision (not necessarily their own) rather than letting them loose in fresh air they also tend to refuse to accept their offspring can do anything wrong. Not all parents but what seems to be an increasing number.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Indeed. Paradoxically, while parents seem to keep their delightful offspring within supervision (not necessarily their own) rather than letting them loose in fresh air they also tend to refuse to accept their offspring can do anything wrong. Not all parents but what seems to be an increasing number.
Mainly because of the parents' own senses of entitlement.

As I observed on Faceache a few years ago to a deluge of Likes, there's a difference between taking children into restaurants and teaching them to be young adults, and just allowing them to be braying shíts like their parents.

Keep forgetting that there so many ARRSErs here who frequent michelin starred restaurants and gastro pubs.
Oh,............don't you?

I don't. As I suspect is true for the vast majority here based on the number of threads about shitting yourself in public / being thrown out of pubs :)
Me neither. I am not into Michelin style meals where there is one pea, a cubed spud and a smear of gravy on a plate. I much prefer what can be best described as hearty food, or what the Germans call gute bürgerliche Küche.

Though I would like to meet that Michael Roux, jr.

Unremarkable

Old-Salt
Though usually in a coffee house, my daughter, when old enough to be able to hold a conversation, would go around the tables introducing herself, never once causing offence. She would then return to take her hot chocolate or milk.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There's even a Spoons in Wick.

Nice enough cheap food, never tried the beer as always driving.

Floor could do with a sweep but then again what pub couldn't!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I asked a barmaid at the Spoonies next to the UJC once what real ales they had on. She looked at me blankly and asked what a real ale was. I advised her not to worry and I would figure it out for myself.
That's strange. They often have Real Ale Festivals in Wspoons. Btw, I know exactly the one you are on about. It's called the Fire Station, just along from Waterloo McD's, before that bookshop on the corner.
I think Fiona means the VSC as opposed to UJC. There is a Spoons opposite the VSC, the Fire Station isn't a Spoons.

Unremarkable

Old-Salt
Spoons in Gloucester; The Regal. There was an article in the local cat litter box liner in which a Polish fellow wept about the violence in there preventing him from enjoying a quiet drink. A young colleague exploded at this, explaining that the branch was now known as 'Fight Club', and the combatants were in fact mostly Poles. (Or Eastern Europeans, she wouldn't know the difference). So that was out. A new branch, The Water Poet, we tried when it first opened. The only word I could find to describe the service was 'grotesque'!
Last time I passed through Gloucester town centre it had been renamed and was devoid of the Wetherspoon's name. I still avoided it. The Ross on Wye branch, on the other hand, is a decent enough venue.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
They did used to have "training sessions" for staff whenever a bunch of new guest ales came on, or when there was a "festival" approaching. That was binned off due to the high staff turnover. In fairness the online training package is pretty good and covers alot. It does not however teach you how to be a decent barperson.. It's a bit like passing your driving test.
You do have to think also and this is not making excuses but the young kids working there were on well over a quid less an hour than me for doing the same job! So there is no wonder they are often miserable as fcuk and show little interest. Bums on seats.
With this control aspect and everything though it is very difficult when the managers generally sit up in the office and you have 17 year old girls waitering on, or 18 yr olds behind the bar. Through no fault of their own these people are often shy and reserved and more than likely just cutting their teeth in the big wide world, there is no wonder they don't do or say anything. They don't want the confrontation and more than that don't want to get in trouble and lose their job.
It's different when you pile in there at my tender age, don't give a shit and fully aware where the door is if some "manager" as he/she has been given the badge that hour has a go. Treat people with the respect they deserve has always been my motto. Never fails. I even kicked one of my mates and his family out as his kids were licking the sauce bottle tops, " but mate ..blah blah blah" "teach your kids not to be fcucking mingers" in another pub following day he apologised, simples.
When I worked as a manager for Spoons, you were expected to be front of house for 95% of the time and very much hands on. I used to do the paperwork, rosters and stock results etc, sitting at one of the tables with a coffee/soft drink. The only time you need to be in the office is either to cash up or input invoices onto the PC. A lot of Spoons managers these days take the meaning of the word manage too literally, thinking it means to oversee, not actually do. We were also expected to work most weekends, the manager of my local Spoons seems to take most weekends off, I can't remember the last time I saw her, think it was sometime at the beginning of Nov.

Oh,............don't you?
The only gastro pub I used to frequent was The Gun, as it was literally 2 mins walking distance down the road from where I used to live, and being a lazy bugger used to just waddle down there. And they have massive club chairs and a great big wood fire going on during the winters and an actual beach style sandy setup outside during summers.

I think, I've only ever been to one Michelin starred restaurant in my life....in Paris....my GF at the time and I just randomly wandered into this place in tshirt and shorts, just because it was close to the hotel, no reservations, no idea it had a star, purely based on Yelp reviews (which didn't mention anything about a star). Even the staff were surprised that we just walked in and asked for a table - was a really good 6 course meal though.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
When I worked as a manager for Spoons, you were expected to be front of house for 95% of the time and very much hands on. I used to do the paperwork, rosters and stock results etc, sitting at one of the tables with a coffee/soft drink. The only time you need to be in the office is either to cash up or input invoices onto the PC. A lot of Spoons managers these days take the meaning of the word manage too literally, thinking it means to oversee, not actually do. We were also expected to work most weekends, the manager of my local Spoons seems to take most weekends off, I can't remember the last time I saw her, think it was sometime at the beginning of Nov.
I was making a sweeping statement, there are a few good ones that like to work the floor, and it is noticed by staff and customers alike. But most as you say get a bit "power pi55ed".
I had one on a Friday night, packed house. Carling went off, me being the kind bloke says "I'll change it"....."No you can't, you're not a team leader or cellar trained!
The fact that I have on and off worked bars/cellars on and off moonlighting for thirty years, I didn't have a "magic badge" . I just thought **** your takings then pal! Funny bit is 90% of the customer base said change it then mate, as they know me from other pubs. When I said I was not allowed, company policy, they all fcucked off. All big drinkers of the "travelling" community. I did pass it on to area mgr, he was not a happy bunny.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I think Fiona means the VSC as opposed to UJC. There is a Spoons opposite the VSC, the Fire Station isn't a Spoons.
I am confused there because the only Wetherspoons near the VSC is on Edgware Road and I don't know of one near the UJC.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SkippedOnce The Intelligence Cell 105
R The Intelligence Cell 84
Provost The NAAFI Bar 155

Latest Threads