Westworld. What's it all about. Theories and ideas please.

The new Sky Atlantic series Westworld has generated a fair amount of comment here and elsewhere so I thought it deserved its own thread to discuss theories, ideas and what on earth is going on.

So feel free to post ideas, observations etc but please don't post any plot spoilers or stick *** SPOILER ALERT *** at the top of the post if you get it before the UK does. (We will read them anyway but at least you tried).

Westworld (TV series) - Wikipedia

Westworld (TV Series 2016– ) - IMDb

Westworld | The Official Website for the HBO Series

Last edited:
What theories? It's a seriesd about a futuristic amusement park where it all goes Pete Tong. In the original film it had many different areas (roman world etc) and it was an android that went haywire; all tied up in less than an hour and a half. They want a series of T and A to take over from GoT and made it a human going mental. Simples.

It's a commentary on how US capitalism had stripped humans of their humanity in an age where Native Americans were being eradicated. It's a warning that synthetic humans will be our only connection to the age where the collective was valued more than individualism.

As you shake your head in disbelief at the obnoxious conduct of a human visitor towards a synthetic host, just ask yourself whether the age of Western tourism is merely a grotesque extension of Anglo-Saxon cultural imperialism.

It's a commentary on how US capitalism had stripped humans of their humanity in an age where Native Americans were being eradicated. It's a warning that synthetic humans will be our only connection to the age where the collective was valued more than individualism.

As you shake your head in disbelief at the obnoxious conduct of a human visitor towards a synthetic host, just ask yourself whether the age of Western tourism is merely a grotesque extension of Anglo-Saxon cultural imperialism.
Any tits in it ?

Westworld most know about, but what about Futureworld?? It was basically the second movie building on Westworld.

I think in the fullness of time there will be more subtle references back to both of the original movies. There has already been a reference to there having been no major incidents involving 'malfunctioning' hosts for over 30 years.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Ahem - Westworld

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's also got something to say on the origin of free will outside the parameters of groupthink.

Just sayin'

The biggest boob is by the writers of Westworld who portray an unrealistic body image of the prostitutes in the town. Ignoring the genuine harm to sex workers in real life, these synthetic women have been produced specifically to service the selfish desires of male guests. As the story unfolds, it's not even hidden that one of the attractions of the destination is the ability to interfere sexually with the synthetic women.

As our world fast approaches the post-Obama period, we start to wonder what the legacy of the Obamas will be, not just in our country but also in the US at a time of #BlackLivesMatter. Well, the main black characters are a prostitute in a brothel and one of the senior scenario writers. It's a pretty disturbing thought that Westworld's vision of race relations is one of a black man having to sustain a situation for white men to put their penises into a synthetic black woman.

I recorded the 3rd episode last night and will watch it tonight.

The 'cook' last night wanted to watch where we left off from the first episode, as it being totally crap! Tried, oh how we tried to get 'into' this series. The cook ended up going to her sisters, me....well I fell asleep. Still haven't got to the end of episode 1.

Talk about a 'slow burn'. I'm just not getting 'it'.

these synthetic women have been produced specifically to service the selfish desires of male guests
You say that like it's a bad thing? Surely anything that prevents harm to real women would be beneficial?

these synthetic women have been produced specifically to service the selfish desires of male guests.
In E2 it clearly shows they are happy to go both ways and even provide a male for interaction if that is what you want.

You could say it is more 3D gaming with added smell.

In E2 it clearly shows they are happy to go both ways and even provide a male for interaction if that is what you want.

You could say it is more 3D gaming with added smell.
As consent has been replaced with 'programing', I think it's fair to say that the whole relationship is based on exploitation. We know that the synths can feel pain and fear but we don't know that they can feel pleasure or even express their own free will. Programed to be slaves to humans' basest desires.

In Ep 2, one of the guests says to his mate something along the lines of ' you find out who you really are when there are no rules'. Well, there seem to be no rules for the guests, so they can do as they please in terms of rape, pillage, murder, torture, whatever. This gives the writers a chance to explore what it means to be human.