Weston-Super-Mud

I spent a night in WSM nick. Shouty, druggie neighbours kept me awake most of the night. Free brew and a couple of bars of nutty. Better VfM than most B&Bs around the sea front. 2 stars.

They must be better than "Famous" Harry's (certainly not Ramsden) - they were dire. I peeled off the soggy batter to reveal the narrowest, thinnest fillet of some sort of fish (advertised as cod). The chips were a strange shade of brown and had absorbed the burnt oil. The whole lot were consigned to the bin.
Have you thought about writing an erotic novel?

Ah, another group coming to Weston to drink, oh how the locals just love the arrival of such types every summer.......they really bring so much ambience to the town.
:)

Weston has some great places, but it also has some very bad places, it's also the 'rehab' capital of England.

If you are going there to drink just stick with the crappy pubs on the sea front near to the pier. Any of them will do. Avoid the pubs in the centre of the town or to the Worle end of town. Only enter 'The Bournville' estate if you have a death wish, and don't go into the pubs near the old pier as you won't possibly be welcome.

Serious! There's a pub on Steep Holm island, the only problem is that because of tides you have to spend 10 hours on the island. It's well worth a visit to see the barracks, Gun sites and wildlife, try not to miss it, a boat leaves the Sea Front at AM depending on weather; May weather should be good.
That's a very good shout!
It is well worth a visit. If you do get to visit you will see just how far from the shore the island actually is, then understand just how stupid the people are who think it's really close and try to swim there each year, then need to be rescued.
They are probably related to the people who need rescuing from the sand/mud each year after deciding to walk past the warning signs telling them not to go any further!

There are some very good places in Weston, in fact I'm heading there in around 30 minutes :)

A few places that involve you travelling, so not as your initial request.

International helicopter museum. Very good exhibits, but the cafe is very basic.

Steep Holm, as mentioned.

Scooter museum, if you like scooter or are/were a MOD etc.

Brean Down, a good walk, but lots of military history and emplacement going from WW2 to well before that.

Weston playhouse, always something interesting there, plus lots of older groups or tribute acts. It's fairly inexpensive, has a nice little bar and there might be something good to watch while you are in WSM.

Grove park, very nice public park, toilets and a nice little cafe. Contains the 'Jill Dando' memorial garden.

Dog in a suitcase travelling around Weston.
It can be an odd place!

I went there on a day out from a Cadet camp in the early 80's. Our boss told the older ones of us -must have been about 16 or 17 'there's fukk all to do here, lads, so find a quiet pub and keep your heads down. We did just that and slept all the way back.

I went there on a day out from a Cadet camp in the early 80's. Our boss told the older ones of us -must have been about 16 or 17 'there's fukk all to do here, lads, so find a quiet pub and keep your heads down. We did just that and slept all the way back.
When I was learning to glide with cadets at the airfield next to Locking most of us would go the ‘The Heron’ at the end of Locking Road, not because it was good but because it was the closest place :)

When I was learning to glide with cadets at the airfield next to Locking most of us would go the ‘The Heron’ at the end of Locking Road, not because it was good but because it was the closest place :)
I think it was from Locking that we went to WSM. I did my gliding at Halton and got the day off to watch Charles and Di get married and then got leathered at a local pub.

I think it was from Locking that we went to WSM. I did my gliding at Halton and got the day off to watch Charles and Di get married and then got leathered at a local pub.
RAF Locking is now a housing estate

IMG_5864.JPG

This was the dog in the suitcase I saw earlier

Back to places to visit.
This place 'PJ's' is my favourite place for ice cream. I've used it since the day it opened. Loads of flavours and loads and loads of 'themed' ice creams.
I usually have a 'birds nest', a big scoop of whippy covered in flaked chocolate and with three chocolate mini eggs on the top.
I'm a greedy bugger and sweets are serious business ;)

IMG_5863.JPG

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I've read the reviews of that place, sounds like Napier barracks in Dortmund
tbf I had to take grand daughter to Blackpool last year for a day out, I went into a pub around 12 ish while missus wandered off with the little one. The amount of people already smashed at that time astounded me.
you'd want to be smashed that early if you lived in blackpool too.

... and don't go into the pubs near the old pier as you won't possibly be welcome.
I didn’t think any of those shit Slaughtered Lamb pubs could afford to survive these days outside the environs of massive city housing estates.
Do Weston Beach Races still happen?

I didn’t think any of those shit Slaughtered Lamb pubs could afford to survive these days outside the environs of massive city housing estates.
Do Weston Beach Races still happen?
Yes I think they do.
The free air show days still happen. The beach firework displays are still free for those not silly enough to watch from the pier.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DamianGreen Travel 22
llech Films, Music and All Things Artsy 80
R Charities and Welfare 10