Weston-Super-Mud

Right, I am off to WSM in May, so basically I need some guidance on what pubs etc to go to.

Im sure many of the illustrious members on here come from there or have been.
What pubs are decent, shite, avoid etc.
Any decent eatery's and whatnot.

I don't want to know it would be better to go 20 miles further down road as that won't be happening, we are on the drink and there will also be wives/girlfriends along.
No boyfriends as we are all in our 50s and poofery is illegal :)

Any advice welcome, although I suspect it will be mostly avoid like the plague etc.
Oh, we are all staying on sea("bristol channel") front.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Surely a Saga holiday would suit you better?

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Serious! There's a pub on Steep Holm island, the only problem is that because of tides you have to spend 10 hours on the island. It's well worth a visit to see the barracks, Gun sites and wildlife, try not to miss it, a boat leaves the Sea Front at AM depending on weather; May weather should be good.

Who announces publicly that they are going to Weston-super-Mare? To cover the period of my absence, I'd sooner tell people I was going to prison.

Helicopter museum near by is quite good.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
the fish and chips in Papa's are very good, but they are extortionately priced.

the fish and chips in Papa's are very good, but they are extortionately priced.
They must be better than "Famous" Harry's (certainly not Ramsden) - they were dire. I peeled off the soggy batter to reveal the narrowest, thinnest fillet of some sort of fish (advertised as cod). The chips were a strange shade of brown and had absorbed the burnt oil. The whole lot were consigned to the bin.

Serious! There's a pub on Steep Holm island, the only problem is that because of tides you have to spend 10 hours on the island. It's well worth a visit to see the barracks, Gun sites and wildlife, try not to miss it, a boat leaves the Sea Front at AM depending on weather; May weather should be good.
According to the web site, you need to book at least a week in advance and you don't find out whether the boat is running until the night before. It's £30.

Flat Holm also looks like a promising place to visit but the boat from WSM seems to have stopped trading. It seems that you can still get there from Cardiff but it's £37 and you only get 2 hours on the island.

My last visit to WSM was in 1988.

I've never been back.

The memories of that night will be with me beyond the grave...

I fingered a girl in the Pontins south of WSM in the early 90s after giving her anoying younger brother a kicking in the arcade.

Also got the best score ive ever had on a number of computer games there but the old memory can't remember the names. Probably they had the difficulty settings low.

They must be better than "Famous" Harry's (certainly not Ramsden) - they were dire. I peeled off the soggy batter to reveal the narrowest, thinnest fillet of some sort of fish (advertised as cod). The chips were a strange shade of brown and had absorbed the burnt oil. The whole lot were consigned to the bin.
Forensic Pathologist Walt.
:)

I fingered a girl in the Pontins south of WSM in the early 90s after giving her anoying younger brother a kicking in the arcade.

Also got the best score ive ever had on a number of computer games there but the old memory can't remember the names. Probably they had the difficulty settings low.
Don't go to Pontins, tons of concrete will fall on you.
Or bits of air ducting.
Or something.

Don't go to Pontins, tons of concrete will fall on you.
Or bits of air ducting.
Or something.
I've read the reviews of that place, sounds like Napier barracks in Dortmund
tbf I had to take grand daughter to Blackpool last year for a day out, I went into a pub around 12 ish while missus wandered off with the little one. The amount of people already smashed at that time astounded me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DamianGreen Travel 22
llech Films, Music and All Things Artsy 80
R Charities and Welfare 10