Westminster.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Nov 2, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Welsh Questions, today 02 Nov, HANSARD SOURCE (temporary link - today's business)

2. This is the sticky for all Westminster/Hansard reporting.

This is chiefly Hackle's bit, and will be used to post Hansard reports.

All starting posts to this sticky, should include PROWORD Westminster in the heading.

Commentary is invited, but keep it serious, literate and well thought out.

Regards

PTP

3. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Interesting. One could equally ask why the government continually fails to provide adequate resources for the treatment of PTSD in service and ex-service personnel in the first place, for example by making an annual grant to Combat Stress.

Ty Gwyn is a private clinic; why should the Welsh Assembly fund a commercial enterprise? As far as I know, they'll take anyone who can pay, not just veterans.

4. Thanks, PTP

Current Affairs enthusiasts will have noticed a few threads started by me recently with the 'Westminster' branding, from now on to be placed in this thread, and we will see how it goes.

ARRSE has rightly been lifting stuff from Hansard since long before I joined. Frequently there is something in Hansard about subjects of hot debate here; sometimes there is even something new. We got a lot from Hansard in the heady days when we were building up our 'service voting' campaign. Occasionally we even achieved the perfect loop of something being said here, picked up by a polly and raised in parliament, being reported back here and the polly getting to hear our reaction. This has happened in both Houses - they should really get an ARRSE printout with the day's Order Paper :wink:

I think this can be very good for our community, and for our country's democracy. Parliament is often ably covered by the media, but their coverage is limited in time and space, and they may not spot the significance of something as quickly as some ARRSErs.

This is not an anti-Government exercise at all. Most of the 'Westminster' coverage so far has either been politically neutral, or has given Defence Ministers the chance to explain themselves direct to the people who matter - the forces community. This can only be a good thing. If, as happened recently, ARRSErs spot a problem with official information about some burning issue like the Iraq Medal - well, it can only be a good thing if those who draft such answers get to realize that 'those who know' are looking very closely over their shoulders. I happen to believe there would be much better understanding of the MoD's position on some issues if there was less ready recourse to weasel words in parliamentary answers.

This thread is of course open to all to either post something direct from Hansard, or to comment on something already posted. Note that although this is a single-thread sticky, I suggest anybody starting a new subject should indicate what it is by editing the 'Subject' heading - as I have in this post.

Significantly, Hansard transcripts are now available more quickly than they used to be - even on the same day for unedited debates, so you can be way ahead of the print media if you pick up something of interest. But it is not absolutely time-critical - feel free to post something several days late if it is still of interest and hasn't already been picked up.

I will come back another time with useful links, but they are easy enough to find by googling Commons Hansard or Lords Hansard. Include the Hansard link when posting. Finally, I imagine none of this affects your discretion whether to post Parliamentary stuff in this thread or in some other existing thread if more appropriate, and I will continue to post "service voting" items in the relevant thread.

hackle

5. tgarden

tgarden RIP

We had a short exchange in the Lords on Monday on how the NATO force generation for the enlarged Afghanistan mission will be done. A statement is expected shortly, but the exchange can be seen at Lords Hansard

6. Commons Written Answers, 2 Nov 05

7. How about asking questions about how £10 Million of taxpayers money was spent hounding innocent soldiers? Also questions need to be asked regarding the $1000 per day payment to prosecution witnesses. In this case the payments clearly were intended to pervert the course of justice. The recent spate of prosecutions clearly have a political motive behind them.

8. Commons Written Answers - 2 Nov 05
    I have included this because there have been ARRSE threads about applying for 1939-45 medals. Also, interesting to compare the claimed 12 months processing time to the claimed 3 months processing time for Iraq medals - wonder what the real figure is?

As usual there were answers on a host of other Defence subjects. I will include one more:

9. HANSARD SOURCE - Commons Written Answers, 1 Nov

10. No Manning control since April 2002. I wonder why

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=XQ03ITMV4C5LJQFIQMFSFF4AVCBQ0IV0?xml=/news/2002/04/29/nmod29.xml

what is the date of the article???

Manning Control Reviews
    Mrs. Humble: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence whether he has sought a legal opinion on the compatibility of administrative discharge as a result of Manning Control reviews with (a) the Employment Rights Act 1996, (b) other employment legislation and (c) European law. [21536]

Mr. Touhig [holding answer 25 October 2005]: I will write to my hon. Friend and place a copy of my letter in the Library of the House.

Mrs. Humble: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what manning control reviews have been conducted in each of the last five years. [21537]

Mr. Touhig [holding answer 25 October 2005]: I refer my hon. Friend to the answers given on 27 November 2002, Official Report, column 333W and 3 March 2004, Official Report, column 961W, to the hon. Member for Hereford (Mr. Keetch).

There have been no discharges as a result of manning control point review since April 2002.

Mrs. Humble: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what guidance he has issued on the conduct of manning control reviews; when the last occasion was on which such a review was the subject of a direction in daily orders; and if he will place copies of such (a) guidance and (b) directions in the Library. [21538]

Mr. Touhig [holding answer 25 October 2005]: I will write to my hon. Friend and place a copy of my letter in the Library of the House.

11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Transcript of the last session of the House of Commons Defence Committee. Not all about the Army, or course, but interesting in parts. Check Qs 40 & 41 for Reserves, earlier on for Trident replacement. Also plenty on Iraq, Infantry vehicles, FRES, etc.

The MoD 'witnesses' for this session were the Policy Director, 2PUS and DCDS(C) - all very sharp brains indeed.

12. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Transcript of the last session of the House of Commons Defence Committee. Not all about the Army, or course, but interesting in parts. Check Qs 40 & 41 for Reserves, earlier on for Trident replacement. Also plenty on Iraq, Infantry vehicles, FRES, etc.

The MoD 'witnesses' for this session were the Policy Director, 2PUS and DCDS(C) - all very sharp brains indeed.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmselect/cmdfence/uc556-i/uc55602.htm

13. tgarden

tgarden RIP

Both Houses had a statement today on the Court Martial Judgement in the case of the seven Paras. Admiral The Lord Boyce (last CDS) and General The Lord Ramsbotham both spoke in the short exchange which followed in the Lords. You can find the first draft for Hansard at this link.

(edited to update the link)

14. COMMONS HANSARD LINK

15. tgarden

tgarden RIP

The Armed Forces Bill, which brings together the three Service discipline acts, has now been published. It is available from this link

For those of us who have some months ahead going through all 375 Clauses line by line, any informed comment will be very welcome.