• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Westminster: how many times deployed to Iraq

from Commons Written Answers yesterday 20 Oct. HANSARD SOURCE

Armed Forces Deployment

Bob Russell: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence if he will list those Army units who have been deployed to Iraq on (a) one occasion, (b) two occasions, (c) three occasions and (d) four or more occasions respectively.

Mr. Ingram: The information relating to those fully formed Army Units (i.e. Regiment/Battalion level and above) that have deployed to Iraq from February 2003 to date can be found in the following list:

One occasion:

Headquarters 1st (United Kingdom) Armoured Division and Signal Regiment

Headquarters 3rd (United Kingdom) Division and Signal Regiment

Headquarters 1st Mechanical Brigade and Signal Squadron

Headquarters 12th Mechanised Brigade and Signal Squadron

Headquarters 19th Mechanised Brigade and Signal Squadron

Headquarters 20th Armoured Brigade and Signal Squadron

Headquarters 16 Air Assault Brigade and Signal Squadron

Headquarters 101 Logistic Brigade and Signal Squadron

Headquarters 102 Logistic Brigade and Signal Squadron

The King's Royal Hussars

The Royal Dragoon Guards

The Queen's Royal Lancers

2nd Royal Tank Regiment

1st Regiment Royal Horse Artillery

4th Regiment Royal Artillery

12th Regiment Royal Artillery

19th Regiment Royal Artillery

40th Regiment Royal Artillery

21 Engineer Regiment

22 Engineer Regiment

26 Engineer Regiment

33 Engineer Regiment

35 Engineer Regiment

38 Engineer Regiment

39 Engineer Regiment

64 Works Group Royal Engineers

2 Signal Regiment

7 Signal Regiment

16 Signal Regiment

1st Battalion Coldstream Guards

1st Battalion Scots Guards

1st Battalion Irish Guards

1st Battalion Welsh Guards

1st Battalion The Royal Scots (The Royal Regiment)

1st Battalion The King's Own Scottish Borderers

1st Battalion The Highlanders

1st Battalion The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment

2nd Battalion The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment

1st Battalion The Royal Anglian Regiment

1st Battalion The King's Own Royal Border Regiment

1st Battalion The King's Regiment

1st Battalion The Cheshire Regiment

1st Battalion The Staffordshire Regiment

1st Battalion The Royal Welsh Fusiliers

1st Battalion The Light Infantry

2nd Battalion The Light Infantry

1st Battalion The Royal Green Jackets

4th Regiment Army Air Corps

4 Logistic Support Regiment Royal Logistics Corps

6 Supply Regiment Royal Logistic Corps

9 Supply Regiment Royal Logistic Corps

10 Transport Regiment Royal Logistic Corps

11 Explosive Ordnance Disposal Regiment Royal Logistic Corps

13 Air Assault Support Regiment Royal Logistic Corps

24 Regiment Royal Logistic Corps

27 Transport Regiment Royal Logistic Corps

29 Regiment Royal Logistic Corps

4 General Support Medical Regiment Royal Army Medical Corps

16 Close Support Medical Regiment Royal Army Medical Corps

22 Field Hospital

33 Field Hospital

34 Field Hospital

1st Battalion Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers

5th Battalion Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers

6th Battalion Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers

4th Regiment Royal Military Police

Two Occasions:

Headquarters 4th Armoured Brigade and Signal Squadron

Headquarters 7th Armoured Brigade and Signal Squadron

The Household Cavalry Regiment

1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards

The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys)

The Light Dragoons

9th/12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales's)

3rd Regiment Royal Horse Artillery

26th Regiment Royal Artillery

28 Engineer Regiment

32 Engineer Regiment

62 Works Group Royal Engineers

63 Works Group Royal Engineers

1st Battalion The Black Watch

1st Battalion The Argyle :roll: and Sutherland Highlanders

1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers

1st Battalion The Queen's Lancashire Regiment

1st Battalion The Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)

1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Wales

1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment

2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment

3rd Battalion The Parachute Regiment

2 Logistic Support Regiment Royal Logistic Corps

3 Logistic Support Regiment Royal Logistic Corps

7 Transport Regiment Royal Logistic Corps

8 Transport Regiment Royal Logistic Corps

23 Pioneer Regiment Royal Logistic Corps

1 Close Support Medical Regiment Royal Army Medical Corps

3 Close Support Medical Regiment Royal Army Medical Corps

5 General Support Medical Regiment Royal Army Medical Corps

1st Regiment Royal Military Police

3rd Regiment Royal Military Police

Three occasions:

Nil

Four occasions:

17 Port and Maritime Regiment Royal Logistics Corps

Another written answer about deployments, from Commons Hansard 20 Oct:

British Troop Deployment

Andrew Rosindell: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence how many British troops are in (a) Afghanistan, (b) Iraq, (c) Kosovo, (d) Bosnia and (e) Germany.

Mr. Ingram: The approximate number of British service personnel in the locations specified are as follows:

Afghanistan 900

Iraq 7,800

Kosovo 170

Bosnia-Herzegovina 740

Germany 21,800

Note:
All figures rounded.
The figures do not include personnel serving in loan/diplomatic posts, or training detachments.

I am quite sure that The 1st Bn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Has only been deployed to Iraq once. Unless they are on the next Roulement. :?

33 Engr Regt (EOD) and 11 EOD Regt RLC have had a permanent presence on TELIC since day 1. Most BDOs from 33 are now either on or preparing for their 3rd tour. Lies, Dam lies and statistics.

Unfortunately they have not shown how many units have deployed company\sqn strength units to bolster the battalion and regiment strengths. I'll be willing to bet that many have deployed more than shown there.
Spin, spin, spin.

Also the answer doesnt give the amount of people who have deployed on Telic 1 and were then posted to another unit in time to deploy for a second or third time.

I do know a couple of fellows who are currently on their 4th deployment. ...but with different units!

I'm damn sure the over-the-horizon reserve Bn has been deployed at least three times, if only piecemeal. Which brings me to the thought that they probably screw the figures by counting only those units with 4 coys deployed

Mr. Ingram: The information relating to those fully formed Army Units (i.e. Regiment/Battalion level and above)
Which of course neatly excludes the Territorial Army Regiments that have done 2 tours (At reinforced company level)

In fact , the structure of the answer neatly excludes any mention of the TA at all (at first glance)

The statistics are informative as far as they go - which, as previous posters have pointed out, isn't far.

Parliament, and the country at large, need to understand the level of committment the Armed Forces undertake. This isn't reflected in the report highlighted. There's a real story here for the Telegraph if they would only look. My thoughts are two-fold

1) Its not just Operations which make the burden for the Army so heavy - although they entail most risk. Its also the associated pre-operational training added to routine training committments. Canada, Poland, routine field exercises, promotion and trade courses etc all add to time away from familys, times of instability, times of relative hardship. Whether you're the other side of the world, away on a course in the same country or on the local training area the strain on family life and professional committment is there.Surely the best way to look at this is via LSSA.

It would be valuable to catagorise LSSA claims each year. Then Parliament, the papers and the people could be told "40% of soldiers were deployed for over 8 months this year, 30% for over 6 months, 30% for under 6 months" etc.

2) The figures, as Cheesypoptart pointed out, are misleading. Perhaps even deliberately disengenuous. Reinforcement by individual companies/squadrons is very common - both on ops and exercise. The figures simply don't tell use very much.

For example - Cheesypoptart alluded to 1RHF - acting as Extra High Readiness Reserve for TELIC. I don't choose 1 RHF because they've been particularly hard-pressed, although they may have been. But its information that I know.

Between Apr 04 and Apr 05 the Bn deployed to Iraq twice - in the first instance for 4 months, in the second for two. Neither are mentioned in the list above. On each occasion 3 companies deployed. In that same period two companies deployed to Jordan for 6 weeks and one to the Falklands for 4 months. On Cyprus Ops (not demanding, but time away from barrack life and families) each Coy probably averaged 3 months. Add in the intensive pre-Iraq OPTAG, pre-Jordan training and career courses for individuals and that's a serious committment.

None of that is accounted for. A politician or civil servant with only a general knowlege of Cyprus RIB routine and TELIC committments might conclude that Cyprus is a relatively relaxed posting. In the CGS's briefing team report Cyprus was described as having excellent morale - far from the truth in the RIBs' case.

I am sure many units are in a similar position. Sending the CGS's briefing team round with powerpoint pie charts saying the things are getting better simply does not ring true for too many soldiers and officers today.

A misleading impression, rather than illumination, is created by the statistics. Sadly the conclusion of the politicians (and perhaps sadly the PoD himself) may well be that there's a good deal left in the bank and draw on.

If that proves to be the case then things will certainly worsen. Nobody realistically expects to bring back the days of BAOR (which many in the TA forum seem to think are still in place) but the senior officers of the Army are coming seriously close to breaching their bond of trust with the soldiers they direct. Loyalty goes both ways.

When I saw this:

Westminster: how many times deployed to Iraq

I thought it was going to tell me the number of politicians that have been to Iraq (George Galloway does not count).

Anyone any idea??

GBTD

22 Field Hospital

33 Field Hospital

34 Field Hospital

These units may only have been once, but the personel staffing these hospital are on thier 2nd & 3rd tours.

So as norm a very miss leading anwser

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
As to Westminster warriors - I know of one MP who was serving down the road from us on Telic 2 - Desmond Swayne, Yeomanry Major, Tory MP, and a pretty decent bloke. Also Lord Atlee, REME TA Major, was on Telic 1, and he is a Top Bloke indeed. I think there may be a Doctor TA LAbour, but not sure.

OldSnowy said:
As to Westminster warriors - I know of one MP who was serving down the road from us on Telic 2 - Desmond Swayne, Yeomanry Major, Tory MP, and a pretty decent bloke. Also Lord Atlee, REME TA Major, was on Telic 1, and he is a Top Bloke indeed. I think there may be a Doctor TA LAbour, but not sure.
Actually, on TELIC IV, TCH came out and fell asleep during the briefing which some staff officer had probably spent hours preparing. And after a 7 hr flight on a C-17! Bless. Common courtesyand concern for the boys should have kept him awake... well, that's Hoone for you!

I tell you, I was knackerded after the 24 hr journey courtesy of the RAF via some god foresaken parts of the world!

may have already been alluded to but...the figures don't represent pax who are trickle posted and follow the op tour plot and have as individuals completed 3 or 4 tours...

Latest Threads