Westminster - details of next Iraq roulement

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by hackle, Oct 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Secretary of State, House of Commons. 10 Oct, HANSARD SOURCE.

Dr Reid also informed the House that the warrants issued by Basra authorities ref 2 british personnel had been withdrawn.

2. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Good post Hack - it's worth viewing S of S' words rather than the soundbites which will appear in the Press. Quite liked this line:

Sounds so reasonable really...sort of...."stop fighting us and we'll go away"

Be interesting to see who else takes this line.....

Hmmmmm......verdict not in yet on Doc John.....

Le Chevre

3. tgarden

tgarden RIP

The Lords also had a short debate on the statement which can be found at Lords Hansard

It is worth a read as it picks up different points from the Commons debate, and also deals with the air transport problems for troops on roulement.

Skip the opening statement by Lord Drayson if you have already read Dr Reid's version in the Commons Hansard. They are identical.

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Thanks for the heads-up to the HoL Hansard. THer eis no doubt that you always get a better informed audience there, as it consists of a number of people who have actually done the business in the past, or been in the UK making the decisions.

Interesting comment on the Reserve Forces there. The big questionsregarding these are, which Trades/Cap Badges are being deployed now and for future TELICs, how many are deploying again within the 5 years of the RFA Rules, and who will be able to deploy to Afghanistan if called for next year?

If I was in the HoL, I would certainly ask for a Written Answer to the first two points, no point asking about the third.

Hint, hint....

5. I agree, several interesting points in that House of Lords Hansard.

I noticed that wef 8 Sep there were 650 reservists in the Iraq theatre. (Not forgetting that reservists have been amongst recent British casualties).

Was also mentioned that the Attorney-General might be planning a visit to Iraq.

6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Couple of other quotes from the Commons speechifying:

The other one which caught my eye was a brief intervention from the Plaid Cymru guy representing Conway who said:

I was in Iraq when these guys got chopped....HEAR BLOODY HEAR !......remember them when you stand by the Cenotaph this year....

Le Chevre