• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Western take your crap elsewhere

Well there's the variety of driving licenses and things like HAZMAT.
My Bn have a Pioneer shop, they do civi courses in things like joinery and sign writing and the like.
Signals can get NVQs in tele communications and the like.
Most people end up getting Security NVQs when doing things like COTAT and search courses.
Then you have the usual management stuff that you get through CLM etc.

Of course you can get these in most if not all units and I've most likely missed some off, but we don't just sit around watching tv and doing barrack guards anymore, though we still do it quite a lot.

Edited to add that in the Infantry people usually need to actively go out and get there civi quals unlike Corps where they'll most likely get them as part of trades courses etc
In fairness mate you are talking about a minority of individuals mainly in REMF jobs getting qualifications that are not worth the paper they are printed on. Average rifleman? Zilch, no matter what they tell you.

P

PrinceAlbert

In fairness mate you are talking about a minority of individuals mainly in REMF jobs getting qualifications that are not worth the paper they are printed on. Average rifleman? Zilch, no matter what they tell you.
WTF are you on about? If you don't know the gen then do fuck off.

Z

Zarathustra

I was going to give you a sensible reply but because your posts have been moved to the hole where they belong:

What the fuck do you know about the modern infantry?

Although I am interested how you've come the conclusion that only "REMFs" can get qualifications in the Inf

Z

Zarathustra

One of the MODs of the Regular Soldier Recruitment forum that you've endeared yourself too with your witty posts? Or anyone else with the power to move your crap to here.

You don't normally come across as a prat, but on this occasion you seem to be acting differently. I was trying to counter the stupid post that was claiming the Infantry was the place to get civilian qualifications. Or do you think that people should join with false expectations?

What happened was a fairly childish attempt to have a go at me while hiding behind anonymity.

Z

Zarathustra

You don't normally come across as a prat, but on this occasion you seem to be acting differently. I was trying to counter the stupid post that was claiming the Infantry was the place to get civilian qualifications. Or do you think that people should join with false expectations?

What happened was a fairly childish attempt to have a go at me while hiding behind anonymity.
You can get civi quals in the Infantry, and not just in the so called "REMF" jobs. Admittedly it's unlikely people will get many vocational quals like you would from the REME or RE but you can get them. And I did stipulate in the post you replied to in the Wanting to Join the Infantry thread normally people will have to actively go out and get them as unless they do things like signals they won't get many NVQs except for the management type one you get from your CLM.

As for who moved your posts into here? I don't know take it up with the MODs. If they hadn't moved this to the hole I'd have replied with mature responses sooner.

Before the childishness of whoever I was about to respond that you made the correct point, that Infantry soldiers can get qualifications that may be of use in the outside world but they have to push for them and it is not guaranteed. That is pretty much true of most of the rest of the Army though.

Z

Zarathustra

Before the childishness of whoever I was about to respond that you made the correct point, that Infantry soldiers can get qualifications that may be of use in the outside world but they have to push for them and it is not guaranteed. That is pretty much true of most of the rest of the Army though.
Fair enough, the only reason I took offense to your post was the REMF remark. I believe now it is easier to get certain NVQs and of course driver licenses are big on the agenda as we need people with Cat C to drive Mastiff and all that sort of stuff.

When i worked with the infantry anyone not in a Rifle Company was referred to as a REMF, not really meant as an insult. Could have said Rear Echelon or Admin Job, REMF is just quicker.

Latest Threads