Western Frontline WW1, the ends?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Chef, Jul 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've read often enough of 'The race to the sea' where allies and Germans attempted to outflank each other until a continuous trench line ran from Switzerland to the French coast.
    Obviously the two sides would be unlikely to pop into Switzerland to outflank the other side, but what of the side on the French coast? Did the last few yards of trench get abandoned when the tide came in? Did the Navy get involved?
    I have only come across one mention, in a Biggles story where our intrepid airman comes to grief close to the seaward side and they manage to get round the end to safety.
    There are millions of photos of the Somme, Ypres, Verdun, etc. But nothing of the ends, does anyone know of any sources worth pursuing?
  2. Thanks for that.
  3. I am sure there is more
  4. A book worth getting is "The Battlefields of The First World War The Unseen Panoramas of the Western front" ISBN 1-84119-745-9. It is a collection of panoramic photos taken by the RE of the front during WW1. Include in my version were 2 CD-ROMS with all the photo's and software to view them. The front at Nieuport was formed by the Yser river and the trenches ended in among the dunes
  5. I've often wondered about this. Were the ends of the trenches at the Swiss end staffed by Swiss customs officers?
  6. Two things to bear in mind chaps:

a)the trenches were not really "continuous"; as in one long unified system from North Sea coast to Swiss border.

b)the ends of the front were pretty much defined by the topography; river and coast to the north and mountains and lakes to the south.