Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Western Front Association: Deborah, The Tank Dug Up From Underneath A French Village - Online Pres., Mon July 6th 2020

soleil

War hero
"The story of 'Deborah' the WW1 tank that was re-discovered and dug up from beneath a French village 100 years after the war is an incredible story of research. The story of the men who were on board this tank in November 1917 is a story of incredible bravery.

These two stories will be related in a LIVE online presentation on Monday evening (6 July) at 8pm (UK time).

This presentation will be streamed as it happens on the WFA's Facebook page.

It is also possible to register to 'attend' this event which will be on the WFA's 'zoom' account. Here's a link to learn more about the talk and to register >>>

https://bit.ly/2DbCUDX

The event is open to WFA members and non-members alike."

DeborahTank.jpg

It was in a French farmer's barn in Flesquieres village for years. Our annual battlefield tour went there a few years ago and I arranged a visit. When we got there the farmer was showing another group around and ignored me completely. So, when he took them into his 'museum' (a shed in the barn) we all trooped in and had a free look around. Served him right, the arrogant cnut.

There is now a new museum on the outskirts of the village that was designed to hold the tank, but whether it's moved yet or not I dunno.

As well as the tank the old barn held a few minenwerfers etc and two Septic WW1 vintage Liberty lorries.

It was in a French farmer's barn in Flesquieres village for years. Our annual battlefield tour went there a few years ago and I arranged a visit. When we got there the farmer was showing another group around and ignored me completely. So, when he took them into his 'museum' (a shed in the barn) we all trooped in and had a free look around. Served him right, the arrogant cnut.

There is now a new museum on the outskirts of the village that was designed to hold the tank, but whether it's moved yet or not I dunno.

As well as the tank the old barn held a few minenwerfers etc and two Septic WW1 vintage Liberty lorries.

The Museum was finished for the centenary
it is next to the Cemetery where the crew lie
the building has been designed to mimic a bunker, and Deborah lies at the same depth she was found
it is a tribute to the organisation and hard work of Philippe Gorczynki and a small group of friends, and the local people and government of Cambresis
My Father and I met Philippe and he was was very good company and interested in our journey, we had a chance to thank him for his dedication and hard work in preserving the memory of those men who lost their lives in liberating Cambrai
I can recommend an excellent book ( on sale in the museum) Deborah and the war of the tanks 1917 by John a Taylor Pen and Sword Books
When Guy made his Film the tank was still in the Barn, annoyingly they were making the film with his tank just across the road and we missed it

heres a google link, and you can see the Cemetery behind the museum

Attachments

• IMG_7550.JPG
    IMG_7550.JPG
    940.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7564.JPG
    IMG_7564.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7591.JPG
    IMG_7591.JPG
    904.7 KB · Views: 68
I caught the talk and both myself and my Dad enjoyed it immensely. It was informative, touching and formed a rather nice bit of closure to the Guy Martin programme we had watched a few days ago.

Excellent with some cracking photos and personal touches.