Westbury accommodation

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Hesk, Feb 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

Have my Briefing 18 March, although I'm unable to get there within the time limits given for the trains (depart after 0600 or arrive by 1000) so will be traveling on the Sunday. Has anybody been in a similar boat and can therefore recommend any B&B's they have stayed in? I realise it's only for one night, however I'd prefer to concentrate on things other than the strange smell from the walls or waking up to find the owner staring at me, baton in hand).
    I will be e-mailing the clerk in regards to costs in the (small)hope of possible reimbursement. Fingers crossed at least.

Thanks,

Hesk

2. Nearest Travelodge. Cheap and no need to speak to anyone, so you can get your head together. Read the Telegraph for at least a week beforehand.

3. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Cedar hotel is virtually next door. No idea about room rates

4. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

5. I stayed at Redwood Lodge and it was fantastic for settling those pre-AOSB nerves. The staff are really friendly and they provide an evening meal for you, where you get to sit and chat with some other candidates on the same board. Sandy will also bring out a large bundle of postcards and thank you letters from previous candidates who have passed and wanted to pass on general tips/encouragement. It's also right next to the train station and the staff will arrange a taxi for you the next morning so there is no need to do it yourself.

All down to personal preference, but I was fairly nervous prior to Briefing/Board and so the chance to meet up with other candidates the night before was really appreciated.

Good luck.

6. Great responses guys, thanks. In regards to the Briefing material, didn't receive anything on potential places to stay. For those who have done it, I take it that it is a luxury you pay yourself then? Meeting up with other candidates would be beneficial like you said Yorkshire Lad, thanks again.

7. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Yup, you'll have to pay for it yourself. Looking on the positive side, having to spend an additional night in Westbury and pay for it yourself should be a good incentive to try your hardest never to go near the hideous chavopolis ever again if you can avoid it.

8. Haha, and I had it in my head that it was a small idyllic town free from the extras of Jeremy Kyle.

9. Do they not send you a list of local B&Bs anymore with your joining instructions?!

Standards have slipped!

10. No, but i have just seen the sticky at the top about this very topic so this can be deleted by a mod if they wish. Thanks.

11. Yes, it would be totally unreasonable to expect aspiring potential officers to show any shred of initiative wouldn't it?

12. Haha, there's always one. I thought I'd use my initiative in gaining first hand experience, something I've always found to be a great source in making decisions. Thanks anyway.