West Tofts Camp

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Barrack Room Lawyer, Mar 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know what facilities are available at West Tofts, Im guessing it will be very much similar to Wretham camp a few miles away: cookhouse, nissan hut accomodation, shite naafi, no gym, no pubs for miles etc etc. I have been past it a couple of times but never in there, anyone been there recently?

2. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Last time I was there, there was no signal for the phones (unless you stood on the helipad). The accomadtion felt damp and all the other buildings smelt like cattle sheds. Although there are some nice running paths around the area.

3. Assault course is close. Some good dogging to be had nearby too.

4. msr

msr LE

There's a reason I can't leave this web site behind :)

5. I was unfortunate to spend a weekend at that there place!!

[​IMG]

6. It has a post room.

7. It makes number 2 on the biggest shit holes in Britain list.

• Like Like x 1
  8. and the training area HQ is there so it is run along the lines of a retired officers holiday camp dont do anything to upset the fun police while you are there

9. Because you're a fat doley **** with no life, friends or prospects.

10. It's got a golf course then?

11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Does it still have the little Museum, full of photos of STANTA before the Army got hold of it? Fascinating stuff, I recall. If the (alleged) reason why the Military took over Imber Village was to stop the residents from in-breeding themselves totally into cretinism (it was the most isolated Village in Wiltshire - which is saying a lot) then the same must have been the case in STANTA.

Apart from that, bloody miles from anywhere, surrounded by Norfolk, and 3 miles from the nearest pub.

12. Holy thread resurrection Batman! Just spent a week down there, we arrived in the pouring rain so morale was pretty low when we saw our accommodation. Shitty camp but the ranges weren't bad IMG_20160918_171826.jpg

13. did it still have the potbelly stoves?

oh and a pair of unhappy duty medics.

14. To be honest I only really saw the bar, armoury, cookhouse and accommodation, we were ferried or tabbing out to the ranges for most of our time there. Looks like it probably hasn't changed a lot since WW2 and the water was making quite a few of the blokes ill. Zero phone signal anywhere either.

15. I think the water up there was tanked so not surprising as they can take weeks to flush through.

the only good thing about the place was you slept undercover and didn't get billed for it.