West Point cadet goes missing with rifle

Well it appears a cadet is missing (not stated AWOL) with their M4 rifle from the Point....one wonders how many violations of the ethics code...

Anyhow said cadet appears to be a 2nd year stude failed to turn up to skills competition. So massive hunt involving local law enforcement, state police and USCG for searches along Hudson River.

Hoepful for positive outcome

cheers

“The cadet's M4 rifle also was reported missing, but officials do not believe the cadet has any magazines or ammunition in his possession.”

phew, it’s a good thing they are not easy to get hold of in the States!

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Westpoint doesn't like this.

Not quibbling but it appears he is a third year student. Officially the first year is called fourth class, second year is third class, third year is second class and fourth year is first class.
Given the West Point nomenclature for classes I can see where journalists might get confused.

The West Point campus is near a number of wooded areas in state parks so search will be difficult..
A really beautiful campus. I stayed there a couple of times visiting with my college pistol team.
I hope they find the kid safe and well.

Last edited:
Regrettably I suspect this isn’t going to end well.

Not quibbling but it appears he is a third year student. Officially the first year is called fourth class, second year is third class, third year is second class and fourth year is first class.
Given the West Point nomenclature for classes I can see where journalists might get confused.

The West Point campus is near a number of wooded areas in state parks so search will be different.
A really beautiful campus. I stayed there a couple of times visiting with my college pistol team.
I hope they find the kid safe and well.
Indeed so, I've been there a couple times visiting my BIL when he was posted there. Lots and lots of places to go missing round there. And a big ass river. Hell, he could be on campus, it's that large. But probably/hopefully basha'ed up under a big tree contemplating how much shit he's in.

Well it appears a cadet is missing (not stated AWOL) with their M4 rifle from the Point....one wonders how many violations of the ethics code...

Anyhow said cadet appears to be a 2nd year stude failed to turn up to skills competition. So massive hunt involving local law enforcement, state police and USCG for searches along Hudson River.

Hoepful for positive outcome

cheers
I was stationed with 1/1 INF (Garrison unit of Inf, Engrs, MP's medics) in 2002 when an MP SGT (Alan Two Crows) disappeared one night in July.

1/1 OC said he deserted

His clothes, wallet in his room, his ATM cards unused.

Army sent threatening letters to his parents on the Sioux reservation.

This man was NCO of the year at USMA I knew him, and he was a good Joe

In September 2002 his skeleton was found, he apparently fell over 100 feet at night while walking a path from Stoney Lonesome housing area to his barracks

I'd bet this cadet is dead somewhere on base

Do they have a Chopper or drone with IR ?
They are using USCG and N.Y. State Police helos equipped with thermal imaging.
(According to TV news here)

Do they have a Chopper or drone with IR ?
Like with most airborne law enforcement units stateside, they have NVG with or without FLIR/EO And defo some form of Nightsun searchlight. NY State Police fleet is equipped with multitude of Bell 430 ( with Nightsun searchlight or equivalent pane NVG) but they’re mainly for VIP transporting state governor, Bell 205 Huey II not equipped with FLIR as they’re Mainly for fast roping rescue, but the Bell 407 do have FLIR / Eo IR turret

Nearest USCG a/c be the Airbus Helicopters Mh-65D Dolphins from Atlantic City tasked for searching along Hudson as CGAS Brooklyn closed down near 2 decades ago so Atlantic City covers NY, NJ et al.

The 2nd Aviation Detachment (Based at Stewart IIAP) that supports West Point flies Airbus Helicopters UH-72A Lakota but they are not equipped with FLIR like their sister Security and Surveillance Battalion units in the National Guard that do fly the Lakota.

Cheers

Latest Threads