West Midlands Regt

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Chalky, Dec 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bored bored bored with the RAMC.

Without bitching about it, as a CMT I have nothing to do that doesn't involve tents, hence the boredom.

I was thinking of a new challenge and, living in the midlands, I have a fair few to choose from, but A Company, The West Midlands Regiment caught my eye.

Unsure as to whether I'd like to retrain as a steely-eyed dealer of death or stick with my existing lot (CMT 2) and apply it to a new area.

Anyone know if either of these are possible, whether it's worth doing, which is preferable and, finally, would this be a good unit to cuddle up to on those long, lonely winter nights?

Answers on a postcard.

Chalk.

2. They are soon to be part of the 4th Bn the Mercian Regiment, so interesting times ahead. Just thinking that Inf might be too much of a shock to the system - why not try Arty/Sigs/RLC, etc

3. Have thought about that, but I'm the fittest I've been in my entire life and thought I'd take advantage of something like the Infantry to keep my mindset up. I'm only looking at this stage, so your thoughts are welcome. I've found the RAMC too comfortable and would like to get a little...less comfortable, so to speak. Any units in the Mids that you know of. Would like to avoid Sigs. My brother is a regular Signaller and I'd never hear the end of it!

4. Go for it. Your skills will be valuable in an Inf Company, and I doubt you'll see a massive gap in the fitness between you and the other lads.

Get in and try and get on a few weekends to get your drills up to speed.

5. 202(V) has a new RSM that doesn't believe (In my conversations with him) in getting comfortable at all.

I think a change of approach is coming.....

6. Cheers, eSel. I've just passed all my MATTs at Level 1, so at least I have that going for me, although they're the beginning of knowledge and nowhere near the end of it, I know!

Get in and try and get on a few weekends to get your drills up to speed.

Good if that's the case.

I've looked at Fd Hospitals and CMTs don't seem to have much to do. At least at CVHQ we have a vaguelly defined role, albeit non-clinical. I've recently spent some time with 212 and they're a fantastic unit with many of their CMTs fulfilling instructional roles, but the thought of going back to tent work and box-stacking chills me to the bone, hence the reason for sniffing about for a new job. My current understanding is that medics in Infantry units have a little more to do as they're spread a bit thinner, which appeals a little more. Anyone care to dispel this myth?!

7. Do you want to be a Medic in an Infantry unit, or an Infantry Soldier with Medic skills?

8. Chalky, if you're really up for it and fancy a change of pace, PM me and I'll give you the lowdown on what's available in the WM Region. I can then put you in touch with whoever you need to speak to, looking before you leap, so to speak.

9. I'd like to retain my medic focus as it's something that there's still room for development in, but I'd like the opportunity to learn new skills as well. I suppose that would be Medic in an Infantry unit.

If that's the case, will I still be able to train in an infantry capacity, or am I looking to have my cake and eat it?

10. Good choice. Do it now

11. Isn't this unit now the 4th Bn the Strangled Chicken Regt

p.s. Love the ideas for the stable belt on ArmyNet

12. Hi All,

Polar Wrote:

Um, No.

Well, at least not until next August.

And it doesn't change the fact that they are a bl00dy good bunch of people, and I'm proud to be part of them.*

A Rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet.. :D

That's yer actual Bard of the West Mids, that is.

Best Regards,

b_flat

*NB, this is a biased opinion.

13. Only if its white :D

p.s. you do have a rather large number of potential recruits in the East Midlands but I don't mind if you don't tap that resource, REng/RSigs especially

14. Have you considered the cavalry. Whilst I'm sure the various infanteers, field hospitals, engineers all have their merits, it takes the Yeomanry to add a dash and excitement into a chap's life. Under FAS the Yeomanry is recruiting medics and reme to train to operate in an armoured environment. In addition to that, you get the opportunity to play with CR2, retain your CMT skills and rise above the untermenschen. A Sqn RMLY is based in Dudley and well worth a look. 01384 230166.

15. Hi All,

Harry_Hesh wrote:

8O

Oo's ee talkin abaht, can't be us wiv them fancy forrin words. :D

I suspect (and with good reason), that even the BAND of the West Midlands Regiment is better qualified as a whole, than most Cavalry squadrons. :p

Polar? White Rose? We are on the same side, methinks. :D

b_flat