West Lothian fiasco.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ord_Sgt, Jan 18, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

2. yep this is the sort of stuff that starts civil wars.

3. 749

749 Old-Salt

sure they'd love it if we told them how run their country
    what right do they have to tell us how to run ours?

4. It will affect them. English students will flock to Scotland where the degrees are free (paid for by English gold) and make it harder for Scots students to get places in Scotland.

When Blair and his sweaty mates drew up the plans for the Scottish Assembly they either ignored or were ignorant of the full implications of what they were doing (and the NHS, the Justice system, the Defence of the Realm etc). The chickens are now coming home to roost. By the way hands up all those Englishmen who think that the Scots should raise the money for their new Assembly building from inside Scotland.

5. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Absolutely. And the ideal man to sit in the middle of it and count the pennies is Gordon Brown; it would stop him stealing all my money.

6. The governmant new all along about the "West Lothian" question I suspect they have deliberatly done nothing about the voting rights of Scots MPs for just such an occaision as this. Essentially its a pool of votes whose own constituents are almost entirely unaffected by the result (English students still have to pay for scots Unis) who can however, directly affect the outcome.
    After all if the Scots MPs had any honour at all they would abstain. But you can bet Bliar is offering more that a few brownie points for co-operation.

7. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Being one of those from 'God's Country' I can understand why you're all a little bit miffed at this news. I also am confused as to why Scottish MPs in Westminster will be voting on this as Education was supposed to be one of the 'devolved' matters for the Scottish Parliament.

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/factfiles/ff4.htm

In a nutshell, the 72 Scottish MPs in Westminster are only supposed to represent their constituents in 'reserved' matters (Defence etc.) Now I'm no legal genius but surely this is, at the least, un-constitutional?

Or maybe it's just our (the Jocks!) way of getting back at you for inflicting the poll tax on us a year before everybody else! :wink:

8. no personal animosity in this.
    i would prefer to cut Scotland ,NI and wales loose and concentrate on England with only funding for the English nation and our taxes will be much lower as we won't be subsidising Scotland or wales and NI .
    the oil , gas fields etc will have to be split on national lines.

9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Totally agree, devolve England and let the others get on with their Parliaments. Give them 5 years before they come bleating back as they are bankrupt.

10. I have to say as a Northern Ireland Citizen I don't think it would work except you want to see a few million economic migrants from Northern Ireland.
    In the case of this little bit of the UK there are areas huge savings could be made. Northern Ireland is about the size of Yorkshire yet we have 4 health boards, 4 education boards, Numerous borough councils and god knows how mant NHS Trusts,Quango's etc then there is the Assembley administration and the Northern ireland office administration. We've probably enough civil servants to administer a country alot larger than ourselves. And thats before you start looking at the Guardinista Jobs.
    I would say the Wales and Scotland are the same with the Assemblies regional and county councils. If you want huge tax savings I would sugest that if you looked at public administration across the UK and the Mod is a good example (soon more civil servants than military personnel). I would sugest Billions of pouns worth of savings could be made.

11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Who wants to save money? Just cut the moaning Jocks and Taffs loose would be a bonus. I'd even consider giving Yorkshire independance!

12. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

Isn't it funny how the Scottish MPs get a say in English domestic affairs when Blair is in danger of losing the vote? :roll:

I have no problem with Scottish MPs voting to introduce top-up fees and other legislation so long as English MPs can impose legislation on Scotland that does not affect the English. Fair's fair and all that!

13. woopert have to agree completley but then wasn't this forecast by the media etc. All it will end up doing is fragmenting the United Kingdom.

14. I thought English students had to pay to go to Scots Unis...

15. I dont think you would be left with much in the gas and oil stakes then!!