West Highland Way

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by fatsplasher, Mar 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cycling the WHW at the end of May then off to do some free riding up round Cape Warth, any pointers or info greatly appreciated.

2. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It's a long way, there may be midges, it'll be cold.

How are you planning to get from Fort William to Cape Wrath? A lot of long miles inbetween without many places of habitation. Some single track roads with cars going too fast and occasional lumber lorries which have a lovely combination of too fast and too big on the small roads!

3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

may be midges!!! you'll be eaten alive every time you stop except up on the cape where its too windy for the little buggers when it's not raining.

4. That's uncanny, I'm doing WHW in September. Had been planning to walk it but was just browsing bikes in case I don't have time to walk the whole thing and want to cycle instead.

I don't expect carrying a bike plus all your camping gear would be much fun at the Devils Staircase!

5. Fang_Farrier

If you don't have time for WHW, why not try the Great Glen Way (Fort William to Inverness), slightly shorter.

73 miles compared to 96, so 1 day less.

6. Have already investigated it. Depending on what exactly I'm doing with my two weeks holiday I'm either going to do WHW see how I feel, then continue upto Inverness anyway, or just cycle the WHW then off to catch a plane to Ibiza if the other plan comes good!

It does seem a lot more cycling friendly than WHW though - apparently a group of people on mobility scooters can cover most of it as it's so flat.

7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

may be midges!!! you'll be eaten alive every time you stop except up on the cape where its too windy for the little buggers when it's not raining.

8. Fang_Farrier

I believe you can also do it on horseback, and of course one can do the Caledonian Canal which is the route the GGW follows by canoe or kayak!

9. Track up the side of Loch Lomond is a bit of a shite for Bikes too on the WHW... And Avon oh so soft will keep the dreaded Midges at Bay.....if you get a chance stop at the Drovers Inn at Inveranan (Handy camp site over the bridge) at the Top of the Loch...

Some Evil Drinks to be had in there =)

10. Canoeing coast to coast is entertaining, at least on the water you can get away from the midges...There are now dedicated campsites on the way.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

11. Fang_Farrier

12. There's a certain appeal to that one.

13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

boring as **** by road, and dangerous on account of Scotch drivers are pissed and stoned for the most part. The Caledonian Canal is a lovely trip by canoe. Through Lake Ness up to the dismal shithole that is Inverness.

Take a look at Wester Ross for cycling. The Sheildaig - Applecross - Kishorn road is one of the best in Europe and you can hook over to Skye or the Isles nay bother.

14. It's a bit shite for footslogging too. I did the WHW 20 years ago - we only had 3 days to crack it which I admit I thought a bit sporty. Even sportier when I had to cut most of my heels off with a scalpel in the mens' bogs in Tyndrum campsite due to the frantic pace that we walked/marched/ran at. The look on another camper's face as he came in as I was applying tinc benz to about 4 square inches of raw meat on each heel was a picture. I have a picture somewhere of those heels - still turns my stomach even now.

15. The cattle pass to Applecross is entertaining in an Alpe D'Huez kind of way. Great seafood in the pub though. And if you're up that way, the Kishorn seafood bar is excellent.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)