West Germany Cold War Locations Map

Yes. With local files as icons etc, if you hit "Save As", and select the KMZ format, it should include the files in the zip. If you save it as a KML, it can't because it's a flat file, not a directory structure as per KMZ. I know the file you uploaded was a KMZ, but I'm assuming it was copied/pasted as a KML at some point. If you copy a feature or entire directory in Google Earth, it does so as a KML.

BTW, I'd be interested in whatever you have for the Netherlands and Belgium. I posted something a month or so ago about Belgium, with what I *think* is the Antwerp area.

Right oh. I had an idea that was it, as KMZ files are usually a fair bit bigger than KML files, indicating that there's more going on inside them. I used to upload KMZs to the BAOR Locations site and everything was sweet. Dunno what's happened since with the Germany one.

By way of an experiment, I'll upload zipped versions of freshly minted KMZs for Belgium and the Netherlands and perhaps you can tell me what comes out the other end.

Attachments

• Belgium & Netherlands.zip
    124.4 KB · Views: 14
Right oh. I had an idea that was it, as KMZ files are usually a fair bit bigger than KML files, indicating that there's more going on inside them. I used to upload KMZs to the BAOR Locations site and everything was sweet. Dunno what's happened since with the Germany one.

By way of an experiment, I'll upload zipped versions of freshly minted KMZs for Belgium and the Netherlands and perhaps you can tell me what comes out the other end.

Yes, that works. I really struggle with the red text labels, but I understand why you did them that way.

We'll need to swap notes when you've finalised things your end. Most of your plots coincide with mine and there have also been a few of which I was unaware. I think my own stuff, when I was not myself 100% happy with it, I have appended with a '?'. I've never been completely happy with Sennelager, but it seems mostly to agree with whatever you've put there. Hamburg and Schleswig were a bit tricky because we pulled out of those areas many years ago and references were few.

The SOXMIS compound in Bunde was located in the officers' patch off Engel Str. You have it way over to the west, next to Birdwood Barracks. Even my own flag I nudged a bit to the other side of the street for better accuracy.
Tunis Barracks (Lubbecke). It was where am Zollampt now runs through.
Cromwell Barracks (Hamm). You have marked the site of Paracelsus-Kaserne, a former Bundeswehr medical unit barracks. It should be south of Eschenallee (Site now completely redeveloped).

Were the many ammunition sites that you have marked up BAOR/BFG, Bundeswehr, Joint or have you identified them as such by sight only? Personal knowledge? I notice that there is much in the US sector. I have not plotted anything in the American sector except where there was a BAOR/RAFG element or a det. present on a US site.

What of mine are you not particularly happy with? Think carefully. A correct observation will earn you a pat on the back and my hearty congratulations. An incorrect one, a punch in the teeth.

Contributions from others would also be welcome. I was a little disappointed with the level of feedback when this was on the BAOR site years ago. I'd have liked a little more assistance to add features and to maintain accuracy.
I was about to ask about the SOXMIS compound. I was always under the impression that it was just down the road from Birdwood Barracks (1 ADTR), but very happy to be corrected.
As regards ammo depots, I'm not going into who they belong too, there are far too many! Many more than I expected actually and I'm still finding the occasional one or two.
I've corrected Lubekke too (only ever went there once!).
As regards problems with your map, it's things like the 1(BR) Corps officeres mess is way out and Antwerp Barracks is marked as being in Normandy Barracks (well, it was, kinda, but about .7 of a mile NE of where it was marked).
I also had to do a lot of looking up as many of the locations you showed are of very old (50's-60's) barracks which had been vacated by the British way back. As I decided to (unless a location was historically of interest) keep things were in November 1989.
I had also decided not to, where possible, name units in certain locations as it would be too easy to get it wrong and it's a hell of a faff.
What also came as a surprise is the amount of special weapons compounds, however I do think that many were simply not in use as such and many, if you look, don't have the same kind of security as the 'real' ones.
I think much of this was down to things like Nike Hercules with its nuclear capability requiring the adjacent ammo depot to have the correct storage capability.
Many AD sites (again, I'd not appreciated just how many static sites there were) had much different missiles than they were orginally setup for. I think there were Hawk, Patriot, Roland and othjers in operation. I am a bit baffled as to why we Brits only operated SHORAD in Germany whilst everyone else manned the medium/long range missile sites.
Anyway, I've found this to be a lot of fun and I'm still amazed just how much cold war stuff is still laying around in the German countryside 30 years after it ended!

I'm wondering wether anyone could help me with this. I found this location about 4.5 miles west of JHQ and it contains 3 car parks and on the earlier images (which are now gone) you could see the entrances to bunkers on the site. I have tagged this as the HQ BAOR/2 ATF wartime location (bit with a question mark by it) and wonder if I have this right?

jhq.JPG

Anyway, I've found this to be a lot of fun and I'm still amazed just how much cold war stuff is still laying around in the German countryside 30 years after it ended!
There's no shortage of similar stuff in the UK that goes back to WW2 and beyond. Reinforced storage bunkers are a faff to get rid of. That was the intention, really. Very often, too, the ground is contaminated with God knows what all. Potential developers will usually run a mile.

And then there are the bats....... bloody bats!

There's no shortage of similar stuff in the UK that goes back to WW2 and beyond. Reinforced storage bunkers are a faff to get rid of. That was the intention, really. Very often, too, the ground is contaminated with God knows what all. Potential developers will usually run a mile.

And then there are the bats....... bloody bats!
Yeah, I suspect that is why there are still many old ammo depots being left to rot. Most are in the back of beyond and I suspect any purchaser would have to spend an not insignificant amount to clear them.
I have made up a UK cold war map too (again, based on 1989 locations), but we have nothing even coming close top what is left in germany.
Oh, and I should thank you for the little things on your map such as the Berliner train terminals. Very helpful and historically significant.

Oh, and I should thank you for the little things on your map such as the Berliner train terminals. Very helpful and historically significant.
I think there were once three military trains running from the Hook of Holland. The German one, the Austrian one and one to Trieste. The last two were discontinued when British troops were withdrawn from the respective AOR. The German one to and from The Hook was probably discontinued in about 1960 when air transportation replaced the Harwich/Hook troopships. All that remained in the end was 'The Berliner' Braunschweig/Berlin military train.

Nicholson Bks, Mönchengladbach.

Who was in there then? I must have driven past the place for years on the A52 between my quarter in Willich and JHQ, never even knew it was there. According to this:

the barracks were handed back in 1995. I was there at that time. I can only assume it had been effectively closed for a bit, but not yet handed over.

Who was in there then?
BAOR Locations is usually the first port of call for finding out such things but they're very quiet on that location.

The two major problems with that site is that the people who know don't volunteer the info or even if they do, nobody is updating the site anymore.

It's a crying shame because those who served there will die out and the info will be lost forever. This especially applies to the earlier period of BAOR.

Straelen and Herongen were so far west as to be practically in Holland (as per RAF stations a little further south), nowhere near Bremen. Just seems odd that they wouldn't build these depots where the equipment would be deployed, rather than a couple hundred km north. Places like Gießen would be nearer, though much further east.
They were, these were the POMCUS depots for III (US) Corps, the NORTHAG reserve Corps normally stationed in the US and moved to Europe by REFORGER

@Provost I see there is a Winchester Barrcks shown in Munster on your map. but BAOR Locations doesn't list one. Is this correct?

@Provost I see there is a Winchester Barrcks shown in Munster on your map. but BAOR Locations doesn't list one. Is this correct?
I don't think that there was a BAOR presence there for very long. It was originally Schlieffen-Kaserne under the Germans and it seems that the Belgian Army might later have been lodged there for a period after the war. As it acquired an English name at some stage, it may also have been used by British unit(s). I'm not certain what units may have been lodged there.

By 1949 it had been given over for use as the Landespolizeischule. I think that it continues in a similar role up to the present day.

ETA. Being a very early BAOR location, there is little info on the site and what there is can be a little misleading, misremembered or contradictory. Winchester Barracks may have been further north on or near Grevener Str at a location that has been subsequently redeveloped. Munster was bristling with barracks at one time. Some of which have gone. I have also found that barracks can occasionally be renamed by incoming units adding to the confusion.

It would be useful to be able to contacts some of the real old boys. Even then, things get forgotten.

Last edited:

Latest Threads