West Germany, Chieftain Killing Zone positions 1970s.

Discussion in 'RAC' started by banjotrooper, Mar 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can any of you RAC wallahs help please? Question running in History page concerning the above!

2. Yes we had them. Pre-prepared positions which we were to move in on the event of an invasion by the nasty men wearing "Ivan" teeshirts. They were laid on 'in depth' so that we could fall back leapfrogging and stall them for as long as we could until reinforcements came in through the channel ports etc.

Some were fortified positions but many were just scrapes. The idea was to allow us to drive into hull down positions every time while the enemy was totally exposed.

3. Harz mountains was our deployment area with predefined positions.

4. THe new OC BSQN QDG Ch++++ G+++s walks in the Sqn bar asking me what would happen if the Ivans came charging over the border;Go to the defense positions,dig-in and fight to the death,I dutifully replied.

You B*****D midnight,I just spent two years at staff college learning that!

Of couse in reality,we´d have all jumped into our tax-free cars,filled with tax-free petrol and driven like fcuk to Calais and got on the next ferry,to watch the fireworks from the saftey of Blighty,but don´t tell anybody :lol:

The yanks were prepared to launch thousands of tac nukes in West Germany,and over 970(?)in the Fulda Gap alone,just to slow the russians down,to have stayed in those so-called defense positions would have been suicidal in all scenarios. 8O

5. When in Command Troop in the 80's we did a communication test from our battle positions in the Hartz mountains on deployment from Fallingbostel. Sat next to our RHQ 'comfey' Mansion to the Sqn positions and worked out where our rebroadcast vehicles should be.

Since we were facing 3rd Shock Army i thought this a little silly but of course you never said owt because that was part of the game wannit?

6. During those heady days of soviet intent during the 70s, my regiment was located in Detmold. If ivan had crossed the line, my regiment would have sprung like a tiger into its killing positions and fought with gusto and daring do..................equally my troop would probably have mobilised into a defensive area dug in around PotHofs by the bridge and defended it to the last man. Priorities man priorities..... :D :D :D

7. I think in the 80's C Sqn 3RTR's area if ivan came was ...........Reginas disco in Bad Driburg...LMAO.

8. C Sqn were always put in the best positions, the best for the best!

9. Interesting to learn that people ACTUALLY expected to reach their defensive positions in time to repel the 3rd Shock Army when the Chieftain Tks we were equipped with could go no faster than about 25 mph downhill with the wind behind them and rarely went further than 50 Km without an engine change (650 packs trying to drag 55 ton around - not recommended). Just as well with the benefit of hindsight we now know that the Russians were incapable of launching a small boat never mind an attack and were happily drinking the anti freeze out of their T62s and PT76s etc. Thank God we had Asbach to dull the pain of Corina Schnable and her bloody parrot!

10. Corina Schnabel.............I guess her parrot is dead now, but what the f*ck ever happened to her? That f*cking irritating tune........it's back in my head now!

Locations? SCOTS DG were 'hull down' in the City Club being entertained by the lovely 'Sue Jones' and her big gipper mate 'Pepsi' (never knew her real name).

Crash outs were always fun. Trundle off to the Goldgrund passing lots of c/s at the side of the road, gun over, decks open, radiators out. Yep, we were always going to make it.

11. Last i heard, Parrot still drawing breath....... Corina pushing up the daisies.....

12. Chieftain was the best tank in the world "provided it broke down in a good hull down fire position"

For the record i never once got to know where my "real" bog out position was.

13. After Sundance we got good packs mate, upgraded to 850BHP. Still governed to 28mph but much better engines. At Demo Sqn we were getting in excess of 4,000 track miles out of an engine, as opposed to about 400 (if you were lucky) on the 650bhp pack.

14. My war position was on the Heber Feature, a stinking wood.

15. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

She appeared in an episode of AufPet1 which was current in the early days of BFBS telly. The announcer was dead excited cos she was to be on and urged us all to watch. (Yeah right, like there were any other channels to watch and after all in 1990 AufPet1 was voted TV Prog of the 80s.)

Neville was the reluctant hero (somebody was molesting young women) and ended up being interviewed on German telly. Who better to play the part.

The surprising thing was that those bliddy parrot interludes must have been a decade old, cos the Corina who appeared in AufPet was much smoother round the edges rather than a post-teenager in a T-shirt, with long flowing curly hair IIRC. mmmm

As for the parrot, I have a cat that mimics the parrot whenever he wants me to scratch his head, rolling it from side to side, so the thought of Corina is never far away.

As for crash-outs, Wor Lass was the Paymaster's nanny when he introduced us (more fool him: he had to find another) and he lived near the back entrance whence we streamed. To this day Wor Lass always knew when there'd been a crash-out (even though the Paymaster never deployed, obviously), cos there'd be a line of dead CVR(T)s all the way through the first two sets of traffic lights. But they'd deployed out of camp so SACEUR never complained. Well not to me personally anyway.

Here's another one. Remember "Say it in German" on the radio in the same era where two officer types would spend a handful of minutes imparting a snippet of essential German?

In 1980 I did a Civil Service (Army) Linguist German course at Muhleim AD Ruhr where we discovered that these two officers were in fact the two senior officers (a Major and a Captain IIRC) at the HEC. We didn't click for quite some time until one afternoon, as the lesson finished, the Major said to us, "Tschuss, bis Morgen," and we recognised his voice, as this was how these two signed off their radio program. They recorded the program in one of the language labs in the building.

As the only non-Intelligence Corps on the course, the Major noticed me. One day he dragged me into his office and asked if I knew CAG. Turns out CAG referred to the initials of our then CO, with whom he'd been a pisshead subaltern many years before and it seemed they remained good friends. Being in Command Troop, CAG was, after a fashion my de facto Troop Leader. Sadly I couldn't get the Major to part with any useful blackmail material. Pity.