Were you a BLANKANG MATI COWBOY?

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by 50bchep, Apr 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Where have all the Blankang Mati cowboys gone? You will under stand this question if you where there, especially 1953 to 1958

2. Is that by chance a Gunner question?, I wasn't there but I've wandered more recently around the disused barracks.
    I reckon you will be aware that it's no longer an island.

3. No it's for all who served there, of course it's called Sentosa now but I do believe some of the barracks and gun positions still exist. Go to websitein google and type in either Blankang Mati or Sentosa

4. The barracks were a bit off the tourist trail on the 'island' which might have been why they remained. Last time I was there, a few years back, the Singapore govenment, to their credit, were trying to get private enterprise to find a use for the buildings which would keep the historical structure intact. The former officers mess had already been converted into a small hotel.
    The reason I mentioned Gunner was that certainly pre-war it was a Coastal Gunner garrison- A lot of the streets now or still have a RA connotation, Woolwich Ave, Larkhill Ave, and so on.