Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Were there any mercenaries between 1918-1939 ?

Were there any wars between the 2 world wars where mercenaries were employed ?
The Armistice led to the demobbing of millions of combat experienced troops of both sides , who can't all have gone back to their previous lives
I can only think of Chennault's Flying Tigers , but there must have been the odd freebooter
in the various small wars around the world in that 20 year period ?
Any thoughts ?

Spanish civil war

Daz

LE
Were there any wars between the 2 world wars where mercenaries were employed ?
The Armistice led to the demobbing of millions of combat experienced troops of both sides , who can't all have gone back to their previous lives
I can only think of Chennault's Flying Tigers , but there must have been the odd freebooter
in the various small wars around the world in that 20 year period ?
Any thoughts ?
German Freikorps post WW1, seeing as they fought against the communists in the Baltics, Silesia, Poland and East Prussia as well as being used by various authority's in Germany its self

Dwarf

LE
George Orwell, among others.
Agreed but I think the Spanish Civil war is a situation where foreigners fought they didn't see themselves strictly as mercenaries. The international Brigades saw themselves as idealistic crusaders against fascism, and the Condor Legion and Italian elements went because their governments sent them.
So while mercenaries in fact, in spirit not really.

Paraguayan Civil War (1922). After WWI, there were a lot of unemployed pilots willing to fly for whoever, as long as they got back in a cockpit.

Last edited:

Dwarf

LE
Foreign Legion in more than one place.

Agreed but I think the Spanish Civil war is a situation where foreigners fought they didn't see themselves strictly as mercenaries. The international Brigades saw themselves as idealistic crusaders against fascism, and the Condor Legion and Italian elements went because their governments sent them.
The OP didn't make any distinction between mercenaries in fact and mercenaries in spirit.

Daz

LE
South America too.

Paraguayan Civil War (1922)
Would the Banana Wars count? While it was in the main, US forces involved, they were carrying out various activities in support of private companies

Dwarf

LE
The OP didn't make any distinction between mercenaries in fact and mercenaries in spirit.
Agreed, and I said so, but I find it an interesting distinction as he also talked about freebooters. Most that went to the SCW did so as idealists or as professionals in their countries service who saw advantage in doing so in their careers. I don't see the freebooting image fitting many of them.

Would the Banana Wars count? While it was in the main, US forces involved, they were carrying out various activities in support of private companies

As they ran through into the 1930s, I don't see why not.

Spurred on by the question, I found this which I was previously unaware of and found it interesting:

Ethiopian emperor Haile Selassie knew his country was poor and underdeveloped. He needed expert foreign help. Forty foreigners ignored League of Nations resolutions on non-intervention and came to Addis Ababa to fight. Another sixty joined medical units or found other roles. The international press corps gathered in Addis Ababa wrote them up as heroes.
A few mercenaries were honest. A few were competent. The rest was a crazy gang of playboys, Nazis, and black crusaders who could barely shoot straight.....
The loudest voice among the foreigners was a pilot who strode around with his chin at a forty-five degree angle to the rest of the world and called himself The Black Eagle. Hubert Fauntleroy Julian was born to a family of well-off plantation managers in Trinidad. Athletic, good-looking, and insufferably arrogant, Julian learned to fly in Canada then made a splash in New York with a series of parachute jumps.
A Dapper Hubert Julian, the Black Eagle of Harlem, on His Way to New York After Being Expelled from Ethiopia (Nationaal Archief)In 1930 Haile Selassie hired the black pilot to perform at his coronation. Julian repaid the honour by flying the emperor’s private plane into a tree. He got kicked out of the country and spent the next few years barnstorming and smuggling bootleg liquor. He returned to Ethiopia in 1935 when Italian tanks began massing on the borders. Haile Selassie couldn’t afford to lose any more planes and gave him a job training soldiers. Julian enthusiastically accepted.....

Read more
Haile Selassie;s Mercenaries

DSJ

LE

If you read Quartered Safe our here, GMF writes about a bod in his section in Burma (Parker?) having fought as a mercenary in Spain pre-war. He uses that term.

Dwarf

LE
If you read Quartered Safe our here, GMF writes about a bod in his section in Burma (Parker?) having fought as a mercenary in Spain pre-war. He uses that term.
Sure, but is that GMF's term or the bod himself's?

I'm sure there were a number of excitement seekers or pure mercenaries in the SWC, but I think more who were there for other reasons.

Latest Threads