were the old canvas SAS issue pouches ever ally?

:?
I'm genuinely not sure, but I remember it was proper Gucci gear when I was in the TA early 90's, when we were all still issued 58" I know 44" water bottle pouches still are.

if so is my set ally-ish? or is it now too old to be ally?

(its all genuine, PLCE buckle, 58 yoke/belt, I've done loads of mods) it now even has a drop loop 58" compass pouch.
(I know stupid place for 58" water bottle pouch, looking for something more suitable, like an ammo pouch :roll: )

Please give me a slap if I've tried too hard :oops: :wink:.

Are you an 80's re-enactor! Ammo pouches very ally at the time, although needed velco on the closure instead of those stupid fiddly tabs!

RAPPLEBY2000 said:
I'm genuinely not sure, but I remember it was proper Gucci gear when I was in the TA early 90's, when we were all still issued 58" I know 44" water bottle pouches still are.

(its all genuine, PLCE buckle, 58 yoke/belt, I've done loads of mods) it now even has a drop loop 58" compass pouch.
(I know stupid place for 58" water bottle pouch, looking for something more suitable, like an ammo pouch :roll: )

Take the yoke off and add a couple more kidney pouches (one for your baby wipes) and then you'd be approaching 1980's Ally.

bigeye said:
RAPPLEBY2000 said:

Take the yoke off and add a couple more kidney pouches (one for your baby wipes) and then you'd be approaching 1980's Ally.
Christ, how fat are you?

RAPPLEBY2000 said:

Stand by for that slap ya freekin weirdo! Even the TA dont use 58 shite do they?

Are you ACF?

I always found drop drop pouches to be to "bouncy" when tabbing around the place, they tended to flap about a bit to much for my liking. Unless you bungeed then together or had then sewn up.

And folks, remember, just cos "they" used once upon a time it dosent mean is SASSSSSSSSSSSSSS issue only. A lot of the regiment came in bringing ideas from there own line regiments, who had been doing it for donkeys years.

bigeye said:
RAPPLEBY2000 said:

Don't forget your Rodox!

As I understand it the STANAG ammo pouches in 58 go for a fair whack on ebay.

BIPOLAR77 said:
you been marking your airsoft maps on that table fella?
Good Heavens! Is that an Ercol drop-leaf oval dining table? That's well ally. And get that green shite off it, you might scratch it.

How do you use a bergan with yoke?
Like you said hammy, there were different ways.
Belt should be made from quick releace heavy drop straps,
and making your own pouches out of camp bed flaps, that was ally. :D

I have got a belt order in my loft which consists of those ammo pouches, 44 water bottle holder, the larger pouch for the mess tin (which is lined with grey waterproof "stuff") and a 58 water bottle pouch. The shoulder straps aren't 58 though, they were bought from Silvermans (I think they were described as genuine "SAS"-issue).

That's all I used (with a Cyclos Roc) until about 1999. Now, I just put a small hold-all in the back of the hire car.

:D
Cheers, for the comments that's cheered me up no end! lol
especially the
"Christ how fat are you"
It's fair to say I've put on a couple of stone since I was 18! :roll:

I'm not an Airsofter.
Nor a 80's re-enactor!
I'm was never even close to being SAS! :roll:
I've collected the pouches separately so I don't know for a fact who has used the various pouches, though I was told that one of the 44" waterbottle pouches came from a Para he'd ripped a hole in the back to feed a bungee through. It would be nice to think the "SAS" pouches were used by a famous soldier or in a well known battle but I doubt it.

Stand by for that slap ya freekin weirdo! Even the TA dont use 58 shite do they?

Are you ACF?
no! lol

The TA I'm sure don't get issued 58" anymore!
Royal Anglian Regt TA had 58" gear in 1991 I did My Cadre at Bassingborne(cambs) we all had 58" and tin helmets, some even had the large pack!
When I had my initial kit given to me, they didn't have any High leg boots in my size, they offered me some ankle boots with puttees!(I declined!)
We'd only just been issued SA80's I did most of my training with the Iron sight SLR. The regulars were doing a great trade selling us nicked Kevlar helmets!
Even the regular staff hadn't come across the newer sleeping system then.

Nowerdays i use it when doing a bit of Survival/Bushcraft just to keep my kit in, I like the Idea of my kit having a history.

Whats the carabina for?
I've always carried at least one, since doing Mountain leadership, useful when going through barbed wire fences, clip it on the top one, pull it down and clip it to the middle and you have a temporary man sized hole.
also a quick clip for gloves hat etc.
and yes :roll: a bit ally :oops:
how does it work with a Bergen? I find it comfortable compared with other Webbing I've tried especially because some of it is very soft!

I'll have to tape on a field dresssing...with tank tape! :wink:

Good Heavens! Is that an Ercol drop-leaf oval dining table? That's well ally. And get that green shite off it, you might scratch it.
erm...problem small room, nice table in garage, this one was V cheap!

you been marking your airsoft maps on that table fella?
no, my 2 year old found the felt tips! :roll: the table is in a cr@p condition wekeep saying we'll varnish it, I can't see it happening :wink:

Good try, but you need to replace the yoke with a '44 pattern one (with 'Mc Nab' written on it in Iraqi blood) and the belt with a roll pin strap (with 'Ryan', likewise) and add one of Lofty Wiseman's parangs with an old issue shell dressing taped to the scabbard. Where's the frayed, non-tactical-colour paracord?