Were the Moon Landings faked?

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by Dashing_Chap, Mar 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Since we've been having a bit of a conspiracy theory thing lately I thought this would be the next logical step.

Uncle Joe had recently sent this chap into space:

[​IMG]
    Yuri Gagarin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was unfortunately killed in an air accident a few years later, tho the cause of the crash has never been established.

Of course this rubbed Uncle Sam's nose in it as the Soviet Union then appeared to be the prominent leader in space technology. Incidentally, their technology is still top notch and I understand NASA uses their rocket engines frequently.

RD-180 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    RD-170 (rocket engine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JFK stated in 1961 that the US would send a man to the moon, which is quite a claim and an achievement since they supposedly did it a mere 8 years later with Apollo 11.

So, did the Yanks really send a man to the moon or was it the result of political pressure and not to look weak in front of the Soviet Union? Bearing in mind that the Cuban Missile Crisis had happened just after Kennedy's speech, the USA was also involved in Vietnam by the mid 60s and commie witch hunts abounded. It would be a massive blow to American prestige if they were unable to pull off such a claim.

[​IMG]

Just for the record, I think it did go ahead, but I can see where the conspiracies might come from. Naturally you could get a team of scientists to shoot a rocket into space, but who's to know where it really went? Would we be any wiser if the astronauts landed in the Pacific and the photos/video was a black and white stage somewhere in the Nevada Desert?

Of course there was a film about a faked Mars mission too:

Capricorn One full movie, worth a watch for those with a bit of spare time.

So, release the loonies! It would be interesting if we could find someone who supported the opposing view.

Stand by... Go!

DC

• Like Like x 1
  2. No they weren't. Lock the thread.

• Like Like x 5
  3. No they weren't.

Though as conspiracy theories go this is one of the more amusing ones.

I expect a long rambling re-post soon, wobbling on about stadia marks, false horizons, dust and waving flags.

Shortly followed by a vid of Buzz Aldrin punching that conspiracy chap.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Not saying yea or nae! but the bit I always had trouble with was 'computers' surely in 1969 they were still in their infancy? they say a s class merc has more computing power today than those rockets did then, I know it dosn't add much to your thread?...but it's late and like I said I cant figure out the computer thing, same applies to radio tansmissions then,come to think of it.

5. The mythbusters managed to prove a few of the fake theories incorrect.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Yuri Gagarin died in an air crash, not a car crash.

7. The best bit is the way they faked all the moon rocks the brought back and distributed to research centres around the world.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

I liked the Armstrong and Miller show were they proved the only difference in cost for a real moon landing and a fake one is the catering.

• Like Like x 1
  9. That was a tricky one. I believe they used a large charcoal briquette rolled in pebble dash gravel.

10. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

S

• Like Like x 14
  11. If the moon landings had been fake the Soviets would have been all over them like a rash. They weren't, because the landings were real. A few Conspiracy loons hardly equal the investigative / scientific prowess of the Soviet Union if the landings were Mickey Mouse

• Like Like x 7
  12. No they were not.

Now, the JFK assasination. Someone start a thread about that and see if we can work out who did it.

13. Who said he was killed in a car crash? My post says air accident.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I think he was superimposing his hopes and prayers for your clumsy, horrific demise on to that of Mr Gagarin.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Flying car, experimental.

DC, it's stupid o'clock. Put down the bottle, step away from the keyboard and adopt the prone position in your bed. Otherwise spare us the bollocks.

ISTR Patrick Moore rubbished the conspiracy theory, the voice transmissions were coming from the moon. QED.