Went the Day Well? - C4, Thurs 17th, 13:40

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by No.9, Dec 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. C4 says:

"Classic Second World War Ealing propaganda thriller, based on a story by Graham Greene, and directed by Alberto Cavalcanti. The storyline (which has some resemblance to The Eagle Has Landed) evokes with a convincing passion the determination of a nation that had to be defended against an invader. The setting is a small English village that is so cut off that the arrival of a car is an event."

"so cut off that the arrival of a car is an event"???? Are the PC/X-Box kiddies really so oblivious to the pace of recent history? Maybe I’m 310? This 1942 made b/w 4:3 British film, (therefore not a HD Blu-Ray effects generated movie), is set of that time. A car, any car, was often an attraction as there weren’t that many in private ownership. viz, When an uncle of mine responded to the LDV call, the man made the officer of their S. London Unit got the job because he was the only one with a car. :omg: Post war, when I was a kiddie, (computer? we didn’t even have a telly), many afternoons of school summer holidays were spent in a garden by a main road ‘car spottin’ number plates, with frequent periods waiting for ANY car to come along. ;)

But then this Uni amoeba has also observed; ”which has some resemblance to The Eagle Has Landed”? Which film was first? – yes, it was ‘Went the Day Well’ by over 30 years, therefore ‘Eagle has Landed’ is the one which has ‘some resemblance’, cretin. :roll:

To get back to the film, relates to one perceived scenario of the real invasion threat of end 1940 and is theatrical rather than a docu attempt, but it does portray a mood and message of the time. About time they showed ‘The Bells Go Down’ once again. :salut:

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

A cracking film and the start aludes that it was filmed after the war which at the time was a cracking pirce of propaganda considering we were on a bit of the back foot

Noticible at the time for the way one of the women despatches one of the Hun

Also worth watching to see Thora Hird shooting a .303 out a window

Also it does make The Eagle has Landed look like a bit of a copy
  3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Excellent film great propaganda, and the bit with the teacher and the grenade can still bring a tear to my eye :)

Really, really, well worth watching.
  4. the_boy_syrup - "A cracking film and the start aludes that it was filmed after the war which at the time was a cracking pirce of propaganda considering we were on a bit of the back foot."

Absolutely syrup, all endorsing the message ’It’s a lovely day tomorrow’. The killing of the butter eating Boche must have been quite a shocker at the time, but I suppose it said that just because country folk hadn’t had the Total War experience visited on them like some town folk, they weren’t any less able to deal with it.

Lots of cameos for b/w film fans. Always smile to see John Slater as a German when I tend to associate him with Z Cars. :D

Dad’s Army the film borrowed a bit. Villagers held in the church ;)

5. Only it was made in 1942, in the begining of the film Welsh actor Mervyn John is seen in the future, after the war, but this was filmed in 42 so the producers must have had a bit of insight as to what the future held
  6. Couple of favourite quotes from the film (relying on memory so unlikely to be very accurate.)

Lady of the Manor; "Do you know what morale is?"
    Young Harry Fowler; "Yes miss, something the wops haven't got".

2. German soldier; "You must go into the church, NOW, orders!"
    Villager with Welsh accent; "We can't go in there, we're chapel!"
  7. And?

Don't tell me - you starred in it.
  8. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Propanganda mate

He's hardly lickely to sit there and say "Well we lost the war as you know and this is what happened"
  9. Hmm….dodgy? I suppose you’d have to change the ending with something like John’s character looking into the camera saying ”If you had done your bit like we did, we wouldn’t have lost!”

No, not really. Audience has to leave upbeat and confident. Interesting though :omg:

10. "You Germans are partial to sausage, aren't you?"
  11. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Most private cars were up on blocks by the end of 1942 as there was NO private petrol ration - only for business and official use & doctors etc. And, of course most private people didn't have a car in the first place.
  12. I read once that it was filmed in the same village as the Vicar of Dibley. An absolutely excellent film.

With all these old films, I like to look behind the characters and see what the streets and houses are like. There's just as much to learn from how the shelves were stacked or the kitchens laid out, to give you an insight into the lives of the people in those days.

And No. 9, the Monty Python Yorkshireman sketch has done for any meaningful discussions about how things have changed. When I was a kid (30 years ago) we had ice on the inside of the windows on mornings like this. My wife, 10 years younger, simply can't believe such things were possible.