Welsh tax money down the drain.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
On the local Welsh news this morning.

A wind turbine installed outside the new council offices is Aberystwyth at a cost of £45,000 is to be removed.

The reason, it was discovered that it has been generating £5.00 worth of electricity, yes A FIVER worths of electric a month.

The company that built and installed this wonderful piece of green environmentally sound piece of technology has gone bust.

This in my humble opinion just goes to show how bloody flippant these councillors are in wasting the publics money.
So if your living in Ceredigion this is where you council tax money is going, trying to get a council to run it's affairs properly is quite literally akin to pissing against the wind, which probably generates more energy trying to dodge said wee than that bloody turbine.

D

Djelli Beybii

Jesus...and now they are arguing about whether or not to build the race circuit in Ebbw Vale.
What's more important, jobs in one of the most economically deprived areas of Europe, or the health and wellbeing of some fecking newts?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Jesus...and now they are arguing about whether or not to build the race circuit in Ebbw Vale.
What's more important, jobs in one of the most economically deprived areas of Europe, or the health and wellbeing of some fecking newts?
Yep, that's the bloody assembly for you, a miniature West Minster, full of parasites drunk with power.

daz

LE
Yep, that's the bloody assembly for you, a miniature West Minster, full of parasites drunk with power.
remind me again, who voted for the assembly?? because to this date, I've not found anybody who'd admit to it

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
remind me again, who voted for the assembly?? because to this date, I've not found anybody who'd admit to it
Well don't look at me!

The assembly vote in1979 was heavily defeated. The one in 1997 was for on a majority of less than 1% out of a turnout of just over 30%.
A warning to the Scottish independence voters. Even if you vote no you'll be asked again and again until apathy sets in and only the rabid nats turn up to vote yes.

Whats really good about the whole thing is this little gem

"before it was installed, the turbine makers, Quiet Revolution, warned Welsh government contractors it would not be exposed to enough wind where it was positioned."

I wonder if the engineer is now going "See I ******* told you so"!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Whats really good about the whole thing is this little gem

"before it was installed, the turbine makers, Quiet Revolution, warned Welsh government contractors it would not be exposed to enough wind where it was positioned."

I wonder if the engineer is now going "See I ******* told you so"!
But in fairness it was directly outside the council office so they must have assumed that there would be plenty of bloody wind!

But in fairness it was directly outside the council office so they must have assumed that there would be plenty of bloody wind!
Hot air is bad for turbines. You need a nice cold blast of damp wind, which this being Wales you would think would be in great supply.

Wind turbines ...
You see proper professional companies with a proven track record make feasibility studies with state of the art wind profiling equipment to assess how much electricity will be produced and recommend locations and which type and size of turbine is best suited for the client.

Wind turbines ...
You see proper professional companies with a proven track record make feasibility studies with state of the art wind profiling equipment to assess how much electricity will be produced and recommend locations and which type and size of turbine is best suited for the client.
And then there are committees who want to be SEEN to be doing the right thing as opposed to DOING the right thing.

FF - Very true. The 'budget' company that went bust was undoubtedly the cheaper option. You get what you pay for.

The place I work for is not the cheapest but they are the best. We have had many clients come to us to 'fix' what some cheaper companies have tried to do and failed. Costs them more in the long run.

I've seen that with a mate who does a side line in tree surgery. When he is turned down as he's too expensive, they end up comming back to him to sort out the mess the pikies have left, which then costs even more.

so they're taking it down and are not even going to be getting the £5 a month from it? that makes sense.

Q

quick-morser

Same in the carpet cleaning industry too.
And probably any industry where somebody can gain customers with low pricing achieved by cutting corners.

Summat the army could learn about then - buying cheap...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

The welsh assembly have created a North South divide in wales that makes the one in England pale into insignificance, the synod operates on a if it cant be seen from the window of the assembly building it doesn't exist.

a few years back they got £2.6bn from the EU for development in wales and the North got about £26m over 5 counties and the south (mainly Cardiff and the surrounding area) managed to get the rest,

Latest Threads