Welsh Rarebit?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Litotes, Oct 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The boys and I were helping a colleague move today. She kept us going with Welsh Rarebit, coffee and beer which led to a discussion on when cheese on toast ceased to be CoT and became Welsh Rarebit!

Suggestions?

Litotes

2. Welsh rarebit isn't just cheese on toast.

Educate yourself ;)

3. He beat me to it! I thought it involved Worcester sauce and suchlike.
    I expected better from you Litotes...unless the question was when did CoT with Worcester sauce stop being that and become Welsh Rarebit?

4. Welsh rarebit is more than just cheese on toast with W' sauce.

Educate yourself ;)

5. CoT becomes welsh rarebit when lea and perrins worcestershire sauce is added to it?

6. 25g Butter
    150ml Beer
    175g mature Cheddar
    25g Flour
    1/2 tsp Mustard - grain or English
    2 egg yolks
    4 slices bread

1. Put the butter, beer and cheese into a saucepan and heat slowly until all ingredients are melted and have a smooth consistency
    2. Stir in the flour, bring to the boil, stirring continually
    3. Remove from the heat, allow to cool for a few minutes and mix in the mustard and egg yolks
    4. Pre-heat the grill and toast the bread on one side
    5. Turn the bread over, divide the cheese mixture between the bread slices and then place under the grill until golden brown

Delicious served with chutney and tomatoes

edited to add: some people add Tabasco or Worcestershire Sauce as well. Variations include adding spinach to the mix and serving topped with a poached egg. I've also put ham on the bread first then topped with this mixture for a more substantial snack/meal

7. Right.....since you're all clearly not able to educate yourselves :)

Various recipes for Welsh rarebit include the addition of ale, mustard, ground cayenne pepper or ground paprika, and Worcestershire sauce. The sauce may also be made by blending cheese and mustard into a sauce béchamel (a sauce Mornay). Some recipes for Welsh rabbit have become textbook savoury dishes listed by culinary authorities including Escoffier, Saulnier, Hering and others, who tend to use the form Welsh rarebit, emphasizing that it is not a meat dish. In the United States, a frozen prepared sauce by Stouffer's can be found in supermarkets.

Acknowledging that there is more than one way to make a rarebit, some cookbooks have included two recipes: the Boston Cooking-School Cook Book of 1896 has two recipes, one béchamel-based, the other with beer, The Constance Spry Cookery Book of 1956 has two recipes, one with flour and one without, Le Guide Culinaire of 1907 has two recipes for 'Welsh Rarebit', one with ale and one without.

The term rarebit is to some extent used for variants on the dish, especially buck rarebit which has a poached egg added, either on top of or beneath the cheese sauce.

8. Add some egg yolks and other bits and you're getting there. BBC Recipe.

9. Oi Smudge, I said Worcester sauce AND SUCHLIKE!!!! I was too idle to add the rest of the ingredients...

10. Ah but now you're moving into the territory of the mighty 'Cheesy Hammy Eggy'.

11. Fair one.....but at least you've admitted to being idle :)

Edited to add - infact....no it's not a fair one?!?! For example.....say someone asked me what to put in a Sheppards pie....and I said....mashed potatoe and suchlike.....it's hardly right is it???

12. Damn.... Im starving now...