Welsh Rarebit

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by feckemall, Jul 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I used to get a version of this in the mess and I am mouth watering thinking about it now.

Can anyone give me the technique and ingrediants to make this delicacy please?

The cheese seemed to have a solid top but was soft immediately underneath and on the toast. Would this have been regular chedder or would it have had some soft cheese underneath?

Thanks in advance . . .
  2. Usually Lea & Perrins as well..
  3. From the Manual Of Army Catering :- Welsh Rarebit -

Bread 10 slices
    Cheese 400 g
    Margarine 25 g
    Flour 25 g
    Milk 175 ml
    English mustard 5 g
    Cayenne pepper

1. Grate or finely dice the cheese.
    2. Make a white sauce with the margarine, flour and milk.
    3. Add the grated cheese and the diluted mustard. Stir over a low heat until the cheese is dissolved. Season with cayenne pepper.
    4. Toast the bread on both sides and remove the crusts.
    5. Spread the mixture on the slices of toast ensuring the whole slice is covered.
    6. Brown under the grill and serve with a slice of grilled bacon on each.

It's easier to work with the mixture once it has gone cold.
  4. recipe.

get a mixing bowl and combine the following:

grated cheddar
    wholegrain or dijon mustard - to taste
    some finely chopped onion
    small pinch cayenne pepper, salt, ground black pepper
    small pinch dried mixed herbs (fresh herbs are much better, try chives or basil)
    1 whole raw egg
    2 tablespoons of beer.

apply to bread that has been lightly toasted and bang under a medium hot grill until top is nice and brown, longer the better.

you are now the proud owner of one of the worlds finest snacks.
  5. Ah, so it's a cheese sauce, not just melted cheese, with mustard for a bit of heat.

Lazy b******d version, thick bread (thin gets too crispy) toast one side thoroughly, lightly toast the other (or the edges will blacken before the cheese is melted) cheese on the lightly toasted side, quick melt, splash of Worcester sauce.

[Not something I can have since I went health freak :( ]
  6. Will give that a try BB.

Sainstone I've got a book called "Chow" about US military food through the years up to Korea. Bloody awful.

And the recipes aren't as good as the ones we have. And we thought they were better fed than us - not if you read the muck they were given.
  7. It's a fecking extremely thick cheese sauce, thick as in viscosity, not intelligence (before we get all the ACC/RLC/Chef jokes) :wink:
  8. I've even seen it done with "cheesy egg" - scrambled nug with cheddar.

Never leave "leftovers" in a kitchen :D

That Mexican 3 bean salad on the Monday becomes Tuscan bean soup by the Wednesday - fnarr :clap:

Inventive Chefs - gimme a kitchen full of them!!!!
  9. A Welsh Rarebit with a poached egg on top becomes Buck Rarebit, FYI.
  10. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Another quick method:

Toast the bread on one side.

Turn over and spread with Gentleman's Relish.
    Sprinkle grated, or lay sliced cheese on top.
    Season to taste with salt, pepper, Lea&Perrins, balsamic vinegar, whatever takes your fancy when you open the cupboard.

Toast until melty.

Quicker than Bikini_Black's recipe, but not as genuine.

Edited to add; you could use Marmite, if you prefer it to Gentleman's Relish.
  11. Every day's a schoolday. With a poached egg on top eh? Hmmmm...

Buck rarebit - well, I never... :D

12. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

This recipe for welsh rarebit is an adaption of Keith Floyd's (former 3 RTR officer IIRC) and is an old favourite of mine:

25g butter
    25g flour
    100ml milk
    50ml Double cream
    175g cheddar cheese, grated try to use a strong, mature cheddar
    150ml beer (not lager)
    1 tsp Dijon mustard
    2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    salt and pepper
    2 egg yolks
    4 slices of toast - must be thick

1. Make a roux with the butter and flour, and leave to cool.
    2. Mix the cream and milk together, bring it to the boil, then whisk it into the roux. Bring to the boil once again, whisking to ensure that it does not burn and also that the sauce is free of lumps.
    3. Add the cheese, fold in and remove from the heat.
    4. In a seperate pan, reduce the ale, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. When thick, add this mixture to the cheese sauce. Season well with salt and pepper and beat in the egg yolks. Be careful not to cook the eggs, just mix them in.
    5. Spoon on to the slices of toast and grill until hot (bubbling).
  13. WOW, thanks very much guys. I guess I will be having the above for dinner then . . . ;-)