Welsh press support their "Boys"

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100...objectid=19688065&siteid=50082-name_page.html

Heroic Welsh troops desert victory
Aug 26 2007

by Nathan Bevan, Wales On Sunday

BRAVE Welsh troops have won a major victory in war-torn Afghanistan after seizing a key village from Taliban fighters.

As troops continue to put their lives at risk on the frontline, our lads have been hailed as heroes after waging a fierce fire fight with insurgent forces.

More than 73 British soldiers have so far been killed as part of allied operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But our boys from B Company, 1st Battalion the Royal Welsh (Royal Welch Fusiliers 23rd Foot) have secured a major victory in the Upper Gereshk Valley, known as the ‘Green Zone’ in the Helmand province.

And today, for the first time, Wales on Sunday, can show you images from their daring battle, codenamed Operation Chakush – Operation Hammer.

Thirty Welsh soldiers, normally based in Cyprus, are in Afghanistan as part of a newly-formed organisation, Regional Battle Group South.

And in their latest battle against the Taliban, our boys had to edge their way through a maze of mud walls and buildings as part of the daring offensive.

Army chiefs say the operation is part of a wider plan to clear insurgents from the areas surrounding the Kajaki Dam, a project which will provide electricity for and improve the lives of more than 1.5 million people.

It’s a project seen as vital to winning hearts and minds in one of the most hostile parts of the country.

Speaking of his troops’ brave crusade, B Company’s Operations Officer Captain Craig Gavin said: “Most of the locals had been warned that there was going to be clashes and had left their homes, so it was eerily quiet.

“Suddenly, we were attacked by the enemy in the early hours of the morning, but we managed to fight back with overwhelming firepower both on the ground and from above with our Apache attack helicopters.

“And it seems that at the moment we have driven the Taliban out of this area.”

Captain Gavin went on to praise his men’s performance.

He said: “Our soldiers are all fit and aggressive young men, they are here to do a job, they all want to be here. You just basically point them in the right direction and they go themselves.”

But the victory comes at a time when many are calling for British and Nato troops to be pulled out of the Middle East and power handed over to the Iraqis.

Last October, the head of the Army Sir Richard Dannatt said the strains of fighting in both Afghanistan and Iraq could “break” the troops, whose numbers have almost trebled in each country since their initial deployment 18 months ago.

On a recent visit to Afghanistan, General Dannatt said the Army’s key campaign now lay there and that anything lessening British involvement in Iraq could only help that happen.

“The Army is certainly stretched,” he admitted. “When I said we couldn’t deploy any more battle groups at the present moment, it’s because we are trying to get a reasonable balance of life for our people.”

Last week, US President George Bush signalled that the US will not leave Iraq on his watch (which ends in January 2009).

Three weeks before his administration presents its assessment of the Iraq war to Congress, Mr Bush argued that the US withdrawal from Vietnam led to more suffering, not less. Just as it would, he implied, in Iraq, with the added danger in Iraq, he claimed, that al-Qaeda would be emboldened.

nathan.bevan@wme.co.uk

desert fight: British Troops (above, below and inset, fighting in Afghanistan

I must admit when my old Regiment deploys to that particular theatre, 3 out of 4 times the local media, NI forces friendly obviously lol, plus evening news will visit them for 3 to 4 days and report on them in a positive way. Good for familys but also is used as a recruiting tool.

When Welsh press turns against Welsh soldiers - I shall spill blood!

I promise!

English, Scottish and Ulster press - say your piece.

Welshmen - tell the truth and before you judge -

a. take yourself out of the office;

b. think about the political direction;

and then , only then:

c. tell me ( with your name and address) if you know the name of any soldier wearing a Welsh cap-star or badge, who is not up to your exacting standards.

We may be awful at cricket and dreadful at rugby - but fighting for an 'English' crown I think we have done our bit - so get stuffed or front up!!

Anyone interested in the RWF, should read Robert Graves' book - ' Goodbye to All That '

Good to see the journalist got up to speed on 'Welch' and 'Welsh' in his piece.

lsquared said:

I promise!

and then , only then:

c. tell me ( with your name and address) if you know the name of any soldier wearing a Welsh cap-star or badge, who is not up to your exacting standards.

We may be awful at cricket and dreadful at rugby - but fighting for an 'English' crown I think we have done our bit - so get stuffed or front up!!
Has somebody had too much leek soup, me thinks? Boyo. :oops:

Moon-Monkey etc,

You are probably spot on, but Cradiff (Cardiff even!) yesterday and the bloody Oval today!!!

Good post by you nevertheless - Wales! Wales! Wales!

Isquared, I take your sentiments wholeheartedly on board [Grandad was from Pont y Gwaith], but those boys are hardly fighting for an English Crown now are they? German, you bloody pillock!

"Nother pint of Felinfoel for Mrs Williams's boy over year!"

Cymru am Byth!

Another good point well made 'Davethe Ape'.

A minor quibble -'German' possibly, but indesputably the Sovereign.

However, I bet you they are not fighting for 'The Man from the Manse' though, nor his disreputable predecessor - 'The Prince of Spivs'.

PS. Is 'feeling-foul' still obtainable?

lsquared said:

I promise!

and then , only then:

Very true isquared, the Welsh have done more than there bit, like everyone else, but it doesnt make them any better or worst soldiers than the rest :wink:

Felinfoel - the world's first brewery to think of stuffing beer in cans, God bless 'em, what would squaddies in all sorts of places do without that little bit of technical innovation - is alive and well - or was last time I went that far West - I'm a Brains man meself.

As for books on the RWF, the two by (Fus) Frank Richards DCM, MM, 2 RWF are just as good as the Graves. He was a tom who first served in India, then was a recalled reservist for WW1. He sent his WW1 experiences to Graves, who had been his boss at one stage, who got him a publisher and wrote the foreword, and who then encouraged him to write a second book on his time in India. Proper squaddy who gives credit where due, but not frightened to call a spade a bloody shovel where that's required. I defy anybody who's ever served not to recognise most of what he's about. (Unless of course you're teetotal). Just google Frank Richards and you'll get the Amazon listings for the recent(ish) reprints. (You'll also get the Billy Bunter author of the same name up with him, as though it was the same bloke, but that's life and Amazon).

Cymru am Byth

Never knew about the beer cans Jim25. Well done those Taffs! 8)

The Welsh are a damn good bunch, (as are the rest of us). Good to see some support for any of our lads and lasses even though it was a bit political in parts.

BTW Isquared, as an Englishman I can tell you that being awful at cricket is fine with me. It's a tedious sport (?) that many love but I personally detest. :x

I'll now start hiding and wait for my countrymen to hunt me down like a wild animal then hang, draw and quarter me... :cry:

Re rugby, well I played against 1 WG many moons ago and I'm STILL hurting, so can't agree there mate. :oops:

Also Isquared, "cap star"??? Do I detect a Woodentop from, dare I say it, a non-Welsh bit of the Guards??? If so, well how the hell did that happen? :p

Well, pull up a sandbag boyos. Felinfoel is alive and well, brewing in Llanelli. The idea to put beer in cans came from the fact that Llanelli is the home of the tinning industry -- tin cans -- beer -- yep that's an idea. The association with the industry is such that the west Wales RWF Battalion [can't remember the number] during WW2 had a little red saucepan badge [!] on their BD Blouse, after "Sospan Fach", the local song. Still sung at Scarlets matches I believe.

Hwyl fawr!

Latest Threads