Welsh politics thread

Well, well-now, there's a turn up for the books:

"The Welsh Government will not build the £1.4bn M4 relief road, First Minister Mark Drakeford has decided.

He axed the scheme because of its cost and impact on the environment.

The plans would have seen a 14-mile motorway built as a gateway into south Wales in a bid to tackle the congestion faced by motorists around Newport.

Welsh Secretary Alun Cairns said it was a "dark day" but Friends of the Earth said it was "great news for Wales and the planet".

Mr Drakeford's decision to scrap the six-lane scheme follows a public inquiry overseen by planning inspector Bill Wadrup, who said the case for the road had been "compelling".

Mr Cairns added: "It appears that the first minister thinks he knows better than the independent inquiry."

£1.4bn M4 relief road scrapped over cost

There's a shock. Said no one ever.

This latest iteration has been rattling around for a few years: and, yet again, Welsh Labour have decided that it's too expensive, having spent the thick end of £40m 'consulting'.

3 years ago, I attended one of the road shows at Caerleon as a part of the 'consulting'. Very nice it was, too: lots of sexy graphics, plans, CGI moving images, etc. This was all staffed by fresh young things, the girls with a rictus smile plastered on their gobs and the blerks with suits that were too tight and with much too much product in their hair.

At the time the cost of all this vanity project was a friendly £1bn: I posed the question that, by the time all 'stakeholder' groups had been further consulted, objections raised and enquiried over, refused, challenged, EU courts, etc how much then did they believe the ticket price would be?

Answer came there none. Other than, 'Oh, look! A squirrel'.

Wales possesses neither a N/S nor fully E/W motorway. The area in question (from Newport to just East of Cardiff) does require much fettling: it is not fit for purpose.

Trouble is, a Newport crack whore could have told you that a completely new road would never be built South of the city because of the impact on the Gwent Levels and any Northern route would double the cost because of topography (bottom end of the Valleys, see?).

Plus Drakeford never liked it as it's the internal combustion engine and those things are the work of Beelzebub himself.

Up in North Wales, it's quicker to get to London or Edinburgh by train than to go to Cardiff

Driving down you have to go via England or put another 3 or 4 hours on the journey time because of Welsh roads being so slow

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Up in North Wales, it's better to get to Edinburgh by train than to go to Cardiff

Driving down you have to go via England or put another 3 or 4 hours on the journey time because of Welsh roads being so slow
Fixed that for you so that the true situation is shown! ;)

Drakeford's an utter twonk. A time-served apparatchik who has never before been put in a position where he's had to make a decision.

At least he's, albeit inadvertently, slowed the sais 'white flight' since the tolls have gone. Can't have them driving up the price of our crack whores.

Drakeford's an utter twonk. A time-served apparatchik who has never before been put in a position where he's had to make a decision.

At least he's, albeit inadvertently, slowed the sais 'white flight' since the tolls have gone.
And he doesn't have to drive the route twice a day like I do!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I drive for a living. That area is a pain in the fecking arse for congestion.
Drakeford and his Labour cronies are killing the Welsh economy.
I live just north of Cardiff and work in Filton, Bristol and it takes me between 1.25 and two hours to travel the 50 miles. It's a joke and trying to go around Newport on the Southern Distributor Road isn't much better either.

I live just north of Cardiff and work in Filton, Bristol and it takes me between 1.25 and two hours to travel the 50 miles. It's a joke and trying to go around Newport on the Southern Distributor Road isn't much better either.

I'm all over SE Wales with the NHS.
I avoid that bit at all costs.

I'm all over SE Wales with the NHS.
I avoid that bit at all costs.
No choice for me. Personally, I can't see why they don't purchase the properties on top of the Bryn Glas tunnels, turn it into a cutting and widen it at the same time. For a stretch of motorway that's only 200m long it has to be a cheaper option than the ex-relief road.

No choice for me. Personally, I can't see why they don't purchase the properties on top of the Bryn Glas tunnels, turn it into a cutting and widen it at the same time. For a stretch of motorway that's only 200m long it has to be a cheaper option than the ex-relief road.

Not a cat in hell's chance, chap: apparently it was suggested very early on and almost instantly dismissed.

Whatever was to be put in place would have to allow for the existing M4 to still carry traffic.

The Assembly has existed for over 20 years, though true legislative powers have only been in place for 12.

. . . and, in that time, various FMs have pursued vanity projects of which the majority have crashed and burned in flames.

Not a cat in hell's chance, chap: apparently it was suggested very early on and almost instantly dismissed.

Whatever was to be put in place would have to allow for the existing M4 to still carry traffic.

The Assembly has existed for over 20 years, though true legislative powers have only been in place for 12.

. . . and, in that time, various FMs have pursued vanity projects of which the majority have crashed and burned in flames.
I wonder what the solution is? Another thought that occurred to me as I was crawling along this morning, is why does the M4 also reduce to two lanes at J23A (Magor)? That's another bottleneck.

You're lucky the main 'motorway' up in North Wales only has two lanes, it's not designed for large amounts of traffic
The M4 in SE Wales might just as well be a two-lane motorway. From my RMP route recce-ing days the overall classification of a route (in military terms) is defined by it's narrowest width combined with the weight classification of any bridges or culverts it passes over. Pointless stating a route is wide enough overall to allow for the passage of an HET with armour loaded on, if - half way along - the road width reduces at a choke point to the extent that the HET cannot pass through it.

Last edited:
I wonder what the solution is? Another thought that occurred to me as I was crawling along this morning, is why does the M4 also reduce to two lanes at J23A (Magor)? That's another bottleneck.
Short answer? They've reached into the ideas bag and found it empty (IMO).

As you know, even once past the nightmare that is Newport and (to a slightly lesser extent) the Cardiff junctions, you then get whacked by the Port Talbot/Swansea stretch, particularly when SW Wales wants to go to work and then come home.

Further nonsense at Pont Abraham when the M4 ends and the A48 begins.

The can, I suspect, will be kicked down the road again.

Ford will close Bridgend Engine Plant - reports

Ford in Bridgend going. Devastating blow for area. Remainer Loons will blame it on the B word but a mate of mine who works there told me way before the vote they were expecting it to close. The fact that the average wage there is about 40k regardless of skillset had nothing to do with it at all, no siree bob.

Ford in Bridgend going. Devastating blow for area. Remainer Loons will blame it on the B word but a mate of mine who works there told me way before the vote they were expecting it to close. The fact that the average wage there is about 40k regardless of skillset had nothing to do with it at all, no siree bob.
pretty much most, if not all the doom and gloom in the auto industry is down to emission standards and the drive to electrification, very few manufacturors are not in the shit with dropping sales globally. Defo not the fault of B but certainly G(reen) has a lot to do with it.

They've been looking at shunting it down for the best part of 20 years off and on

pretty much most, if not all the doom and gloom in the auto industry is down to emission standards and the drive to electrification, very few manufacturors are not in the shit with dropping sales globally. Defo not the fault of B but certainly G(reen) has a lot to do with it.
That's exactly what my mate who works there told me about 3 years ago.