Welsh politics thread

Wales isn’t a country. It’s a principality. Big difference.
The Assembly is a total waste of money, money which could be spent on health, police, or even border controls. I don’t know the figures but it must be millions that go to waste running that building and paying the idiots who inhabit it.
Piss off

I love Wales and now live near the west coast, my address resembles an eye sight test and the funny thing is my nearest neighbours in the village are, like me English.
Compared to the SE of England it’s heaven, so quiet, fresh air doctors appointment when I want not in a weeks time. The nosy thing that gets me down is the weather in the winter but I blame Brexit for that and Welsh Labour so I’m fine really. Last summer a five minute drive and I was on the beach.
Lovely it is boyo. And the sheep keep to themselves.
And you wonder why people want to burn your house down?

So don’t live and work there. Get a job in England. It’s not as if the NHS is oversubscribed. They’re begging for people to work for them.

But don’t moan because you have voluntarily moved to a place you don’t like amongst a load of people that you hate.
That does seem to be a thing, at least in North Wales

Quite a few GPs emigrating to England, not sure if it's because they're overworked here or they can get better pay in England

And it seems recruitment is made worse by longer lead times if someone wants to work in England, I remember our old GP going on about the extra time to have qualifications and vetting done to move across seeming to put prospective GPs off moving to Wales

Not sure if it's similar with hospitals

you should move up here to the north, you`ld fit right in, it is a fact that all this crap about the welsh this and the welsh that is just a duplication of offices and posts, total waste of money but it takes some power from the English twats in London so that's OK, face it boyo, and this is from another Welshman, all this crap that we get shafted with is just anti-engand racism, plaid do not give a shit about the people of wales as long as they speak cymraig and vote for them, if they had their own way they would build a wall far higher than Trump wants on the Mexican border

Welsh politics can be summed up by "I vote Labour because my dad did" repeated back for 5 generations. If you live in Wales, standby for your Welsh income tax increase in a couple of years (the Assembly Government has generously said they won't make an increase in FY 19/20) just like in Scotland. Newport Council is looking to increase council tax by nearly 7% next year, according to the Argus, and the South Wales Police Commissioner has put out a survey asking how much more we would be willing to pay in council tax to pay for policing. Labour can't get enough of our money.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

So don’t live and work there. Get a job in England. It’s not as if the NHS is oversubscribed. They’re begging for people to work for them.

But don’t moan because you have voluntarily moved to a place you don’t like amongst a load of people that you hate.
Ummmm.
Born in England. Moved to Wales when I was 18 months old. Dad is Welsh, so is the vast majority of the family on my mums side.

I don't hate Welsh people, my wife is Welsh, so is the vast majority of the family.

you should move up here to the north, you`ld fit right in, it is a fact that all this crap about the welsh this and the welsh that is just a duplication of offices and posts, total waste of money but it takes some power from the English twats in London so that's OK, face it boyo, and this is from another Welshman, all this crap that we get shafted with is just anti-engand racism, plaid do not give a shit about the people of wales as long as they speak cymraig and vote for them, if they had their own way they would build a wall far higher than Trump wants on the Mexican border
As long as they start the wall around Newport, I'm cool with that.

So Lab Wales is led by a white, male, middle class, middle aged academic elected in preference to a female candidate and a young ethnic! So much for diversity, long live The Establishment

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I have no issue with anyone who is English, its the maggots in the halls of Westminster I have a problem with. Plaid also has anti-Westminster sentiment is it not to be expected? Investment in Wales falls short every year. We are second-class citizens in our own country. You mention independence and everyone looks like a scared cat in the window. The way things are going we will have independence forced upon us by the English, Labour will cling on for grim death.
For the second time Wales is not a country.
Have you anything actually bordering on the intelligent to add? Wales independent?
You’re having a laugh boyo.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
And you wonder why people want to burn your house down?
So you’re a closest arsonist then? What a strange childish immature comment.

Welsh politics can be summed up by "I vote Labour because my dad did" repeated back for 5 generations. If you live in Wales, standby for your Welsh income tax increase in a couple of years (the Assembly Government has generously said they won't make an increase in FY 19/20) just like in Scotland. Newport Council is looking to increase council tax by nearly 7% next year, according to the Argus, and the South Wales Police Commissioner has put out a survey asking how much more we would be willing to pay in council tax to pay for policing. Labour can't get enough of our money.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
I see that with people I know with their own business up in North Wales, bizarrely even there it's pretty much a even split between Labour and Tory voters even though they all seem to agree the Welsh Assembly is a waste of money

The only people I know who vote Plaid, I suspect would vote EDL/BNP if they were English.
That's an interesting observation and chimes quite well with me regarding some of the more rabid Indy/SNP "Scotland for the Scots" type Nationalists you get up here. I guess a lot of these types are cut from the same cloth and they just can't see it.

That's an interesting observation and chimes quite well with me regarding some of the more rabid Indy/SNP "Scotland for the Scots" type Nationalists you get up here. I guess a lot of these types are cut from the same cloth and they just can't see it.
Over 90% of my family are Scottish or Welsh, with a few moved to the black country in England, and my mum being the only exception having moved to London, so I don't have that sense of identity that chimes with Nationalism

And perhaps being a bit of a mongrel nation, few of us could be really considered just Welsh, Scottish or English such views used to be rare, but saying that...

With the SNP the comparison isn't helped with the NAZI connections in the early days of the SNP

And also the Frongoch prison camp was used after the Easter Uprising for Irish dissidents housing them in north Wales. So you could argue the IRA came out of interaction and help from the locals in North Wales

Latest Threads