Welsh NHS patients barred as for not not paying their bills

The Welsh are foreign health tourists.;-)

English hospital says no to Wales' patients

If they can do this in Chester why cant they do this in the rest of English hospitals with foreign health tourists?
The NHS has long had a policy on whether foreign visitors need to pay for treatment.
The problem is a large percentage of Doctors and A and E staff refuse to implement it.

Nothing new.Ten years ago, when my Mum lived in Montgomery, just on the Welsh side of the border.Her Doctor could not treat her so she went to Shrewsbury.The doctors there were quite open about the problems they had with Welsh patients as NHS Wales was notorious for late payments.

But don't the Welsh pay into the same national system?? So why would it matter if they used socialized medicine in England rather than Wales?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yes, but why would it matter if they were treated in England?? Especially the folks that live on the border.
Because they are separate health authorities with different sources of funding.

The NHS is not a single UK wide system, if I were to to gave to go to England for an operation, the DNHS/Scottish Government would have to pay NHS England

Yes, but why would it matter if they were treated in England?? Especially the folks that live on the border.
Think if your state tax paid for the hospitals and your treatment in your state only, and you go for treatment in the next state which has the same system, that state will bill your home state. Your home state then doesn't pay the bill, so the other state refuses to treat others from yours until they start coughing up what they owe.

Because they are separate health authorities with different sources of funding.

The NHS is not a single UK wide system, if I were to to gave to go to England for an operation, the DNHS/Scottish Government would have to pay NHS England
Yet another learning day. You folks could be studied for years and I would still be lost half the time.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yet another learning day. You folks could be studied for years and I would still be lost half the time.
We also have several different legal systems too

The backstory is this has kicked off because the Welsh hospitals like my local one are only paying for patients at Welsh rates which are lower than the rates in England, and hence the Chester hospital thinks it's owned money

From my local rag...

North Wales outpatients will no longer be able to access services at the Countess of Chester Hospital in a row over funding.

Rates for operations in NHS England are slightly higher than those in Wales and the chairman of the Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Sir Duncan Nichol, has previously said it is "not being paid for all its work".

It stopped non-emergency admissions from Wales on April 1, despite the Welsh Government saying negotiations on payment rates were still ongoing between them and their English counterparts.

Here's another bone to chew on. We have 3 legal systems - England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Weird, and here I thought everything was the same throughout the entire UK. ******* wrong...
So are the tax and pension systems all different as well?

Weird, and here I thought everything was the same throughout the entire UK. ******* wrong...
So are the tax and pension systems all different as well?
Increasingly so, I had notice this year that part of my income tax is to go to the Welsh Government, and in future years they can vary above or below the English rate

So there is a slight divergence

Latest Threads