Welsh National Anthem at FA Cup Final

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by johno2499, Apr 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I will be at Wembley on 17th May supporting Pompey. I will proudly sing "Abide with Me" and "God Save the Queen".
    So why is the Welsh "National" Anthem being played?
    No pressure on the FA from New Labour, then?

2. A Welsh anthem....

"Men of Harlich
    Stop complaining
    Wales was made for
    Army training
    Always cold
    And always raining
    A Sh!t-house
    That's for sure!"

3. Are Welsh teams in the competition? YES - so why the fook not!?!

Is it really a national anthem? Isn't it a principality anthem? I mean - it's not a real country anyway! :)

What makes Britain Great in one way is how we all slag each other off but team up to slag everyone else off! So when you get there, please, for me, give those sheep shagging mofos the abuse they rightly deserve!

Enjoy the day.

4. not that cardiff play on being welsh when it suits them... but are now keen to come under the umbrella of "english clubs" if they win the FA cup, so that they can play in europe.

would have more respect for their welshness if they refused the offer. surely being welsh is more important to them than playing in the UEFA cup next season?

or maybe not. i hate hypocrisy.

5. A definite day to go somewhere with no T.V.
    I've fond memories of Cup day being special,
    Hharumph
    not likely with a foreign team and a welsh team contesting the game.

Mind you, i'll be knee-deep in the revolution by then

6. sharp

7. Or in Wales - harp

8. I spose the Taffs will want the Welsh anthem played at the olympics if any Sheep Sh@ggers win gold. It aint gonna happen (them winning OR their big fishes are whales anthem) so why should we have to put up with another anthem - other then the British - when they play in the FA Cup?

CR was quite correct ...Welsh when it suits them.

Oh Yeah, I'm a Pompey fan!

9. I spose the Taffs will want the Welsh anthem played at the olympics if any Sheep Sh@ggers win gold. It aint gonna happen (them winning OR their effing big fishes are whales anthem) so why should we have to put up with another anthem - other then the British - when they play in the FA Cup?

CR was quite correct ...Welsh when it suits them.

Oh Yeah, I'm a Pompey fan!

10. I think you will find that the only person who wants the Welsh National played at the FA Cup Final is the Welsh Sports Minister Rhodri Glyn Thomas. He has been roundly set upon by Cardiff City fans and most Welsh people with any common sense.

It is an English FA Final, so the British National Anthem should be played.

As for you comment about "Welsh when it suits them." How many times have we heard Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish sportsmen and women classed as British, but English are always English??!!! eg Colin Jackson, Jamie Baulch, Ewan Roberts and Andy Murray to name but a few.

As a Welshman myself, I do not expect to hear my National Anthem played at the final. It will be good enough when Cardiff take one of "your" european places.

11. Whatever next? England will be playing test cricket in Cardiff at the expense of the Rose Bowl!

12. can you give us an example of when english sportspersons competing in the GB team are referred to as english? can't remember one personally. you really do come across as a bitter person. (although i can still remember andy murray pissing on his PR chips when he proudly announced he would always cheer for anyone playing against england - then apologised a couple of days later and said he had been misquoted. not that his agent reminded him his sponsors were english or anything :roll: )

as for taking one of "our" european places - think pompey will be too much for you on the day.

besides - UEFA cup? you're welcome to it!

13. I think it's great they are singing this, it'll get the place buzzing before the final. We sang 'I'm forever Blowing Bubbles' in 2006 and no one complained.

Why the big issue with every little thing that happens in the UK?

14. As I understand it the Welsh National Anthem is being played as it always is played, its called "God Save The Queen"

Each team is allowed to play a song that identifies them, Liverpool would play "You'll never walk alone" for example. Are we not sure that "Men of Harlich" is not Cardiff's choice?