Welsh Language Courses

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Lechies, Feb 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I thought I'd put this here rather than classifieds because I fully expect the Taffs to take another verbal assault/flooded village.

I'm after any recommendations for a good Welsh Language course for idiots. Reason? Going to South wales for a month in June and I want to watch Scrum 5 and know what they're banging on about, I'm sick of hearing a load of gibberish and then the odd English word chucked in.

Recommendations or if you've got one knocking about you want to flog PM me and please, I didn't flood any villages or do I live in Liverpool so play nice.

Nadolig Llawen
  2. Scrum 5 is broadcast in English.If you mean live rugby on S4C (Welsh channel) it usually has English subtitles option.
  3. I'm watching S4C now in England and through Sky and it's in Taff only, the place I'm staying in June has a basic portable TV channel set up so no red button to hit.

Anyway, not that I'm being paranoid, but it's always good to know how to strike a conversation with the locals/listen to what they're saying about you.
  4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

5. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I've tried a couple - linguaphone and another - neither were great as you need the interaction to get any good.

I did a 2 year night course and got enough to chat for about 30 seconds before running out of words.

There are a number online - try the BBC website they do a basic one -

BBC - Wales - Learning - Learn Welsh

Also try watching the kiddies programmes on S4C...Fireman Sam used to be a good one.

6. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Join the South and West Wales group of the Motor Caravan club, I did, and was forced to learn Welsh as most of them come from the land of careful sheep, North of the M4
  7. You'll be OK in South Wales, they speak English, its mainly in the North that they got rid of the vowels and speak with a LLysp
  8. I like your method, my little un has the entire Fireman Sam collection, I just have to watch the English version v the Welsh one, voila, I still wont have a chuffing clue.
  9. How to speak perfect welsh

1) Cough up a big gob of phlegm

2) Try to speak while do so.

You will now sound like a native welsh speaker.
  10. I just read that out loud and gobbed all over the screen.
  11. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

12. Be weary of where your teacher comes from, as they speak a strange form of the language south of Aberystwyth and will pass their disgusting habits onto you!:)

Still fantasic that you even try to learn Welsh, soon you'll be bemoaning of them "Jac Sais Dan Din"
  13. You need to learn Taffyo to watch rygbi? Why?
  14. For any language course, I always recommend Grant and Cutler in London.

They have a Welsh Section which you can see here:

If you browse what they have and see something which appeals, they will happily advise you as to whether it is suitable for the purpose you have in mind if you give them a call on 020 7734 2012.