Welsh Guards

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Krek_Brizzle, Jun 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,
    I'm hoping to do AOSB later this year and I'm interested in RAC or infantry. It's difficult to know where to start with infantry regiments but having a strong Welsh background on my father's side I'm drawn to the WG. The light infantry role appeals, and I have heard the Guards praised for a particular quality of discipline and cohesion of movement. And I'm not going to lie, I watched Trooping the Colour this weekend and it's bloody amazing, the chance to be a part of something like that would be a considerable bonus.
    I'm not going to ask any dense questions about whether I have to be landed gentry to be a Guards officer because I've seen such queries shot down numerous times, but is it possible to ask what the regiment is 'like'? Do they look for any particular characteristics in prospective officers as distinct from those sought by other infantry regiments? Do I have to be a leathal rugby player? I appreciate this is a rather vague enquiry, but any advice would be much appreciated.

2. A superb Regiment that you could not go far wrong with. Start by looking at their Officer Recruiting part of their website http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/11413.aspx and if serious about your intentions arrange an interview with the Regimental Adjutant (Col Tom Bonas) in London

3. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Bloody good infantry Bn , worked with them many times, good luck

4. Thanks both for the replies. Grumpy, to pick up on what you said:

I had a good look through the WGs' website; something I've noticed there and on the sites of other regiments is that most seem very keen for prospective officers to contact them directly in the first instance. This is very much in line with informal advice I've had from other quarters, notably from a serving Guards officer.
    This contradicts the Army Jobs website and the more formal recruitment literature, which all declare that official careers advisors should be one's first port of call.
    Can you (or anyone else) account for this apparent contradiction? Is there a great deal to be gained from approaching a given regiment early on? I'm under the impression that cadets are not 'signed up' with a regiment or even an arm until at least the second term of Sandhurst.

5. KB, If you want to be a WG Officer, can I suggest that you do not in the first instance question their recruiting procedures. If their website say that stage 2 is to contact the Regimental Adjutant, then do so. Do not try to fathom out why - following orders is one of the basics. They will arrange for you to visit 1WG on a Potential Officers visit for you to assess them and, more importantly for them to assess you. This officer recruiting procedure is tried and tested and WG have some superb young officers, there is no reason why you should be recruited in any other way. If you are serious, contact the Regimental Adjutant

6. Understood. Appreciate the response.

7. As far as i'm aware I don't believe you can choose which Battalion of Foot Guards you can join. I'm pretty sure you are told who your joining at some point late in training.

I'll find out for sure on Monday if your still unsure by then.

8. Whether you are joining as an officer (as it appears this poster intends) or as a soldier, you know which regiment you will join. It's not picked out of a hat! It's personal choice along with some prodding from the recruiter in the case of soldiers and for officers it's personal choice and whether the regiment will have them that makes the decision.

9. Not as an Officer you don't, if you watch the Trooping of the Colour there were at least three sons of the Regiment on parade with the Irish Guards, you can choose but the Regiment might not accept you. The sons, before the elitist and anti nepotism brigade get wound up have got to be good to get in, I have known very senior officers sons crash and burn at RCB and in their application to join family Regiments. And RMAS is a great sorter outer!

10. Are there any particular characteristics that define Welsh Guards Officers out from others? For example I've heard that all Micks are mad, do they Welsh have an equivalent?

11. Yes they are ignorant twats if you are English and attached personnel, their families will also attempt to bully your children but only whilst they are in large groups, singly or in small groups they become surprisingly friendly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. You may want to watch the new S4C series on the WG. In Welsh but with English subtitles. Tuesdays at 2130hrs. First episode online:

http://www.s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.shtml?series_id=523606658

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Yep they all sound like poofs

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yep, you'd never fit into The Rifles with that attitude ...try not to knee yourself in the chin whilst poncing about on the drill square weirdo ;-)

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  15. No, definitely not! to fit in with the Rifles you need to completely fail to spot the OP was from 2009.

I would love to be a fly on the way during a target indication lesson ;)

• Like Like x 1