Wells council refuse to honour Harry Patch

This came in via facebook,

I thought it may be of interest to you all.

I've been made aware of Wells Council not being prepared to fly there flags at Half Mast on the City Hall to honour Harry Patch, I would be grateful if you guys could e-mail Wells Council and let them know what Harry means to you, Tell them we would like to see them fly there flags at half mast till Harrys funeral on Thursday.....

The e-mail address for Wells council is

tc@wells.gov.uk

also would you join the group Fly The Flag For Harry Patch the address is

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=116471855985

Trotsky said:

I've been made aware of Wells Council not being prepared to fly there flags at Half Mast on the City Hall to honour Harry Patch, I would be grateful if you guys could e-mail Wells Council and let them know what Harry means to you, Tell them we would like to see them fly there flags at half mast till Harrys funeral on Thursday.....
City Hall??? How American!

Not having a go at you but I'd prefer to judge Wells City Council by what they do to celebrate Harry Patch's passing rather that what some juvenile chain letter email writer with no knowledge of how these things are done, thinks they ought to do.

Wells City Council and Harry Patch

oldbaldy

LE
Seems they are doing a fair bit for a favourtie son:

The funeral of Harry Patch will take place on Thursday 6th August 2009. There are two public elements to the day.
1. Cortege

At approximately 11:30 am Harry’s coffin will begin its journey from Fletcher House to Wells Cathedral. The coffin will be flanked by 6 private soldiers of the Rifles Regiment, the successor to Harry’s Regiment, the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry. The coffin will also be flanked by two private soldiers of each of the armies of Belgium, France and Germany. In this way, it is hoped to symbolise Harry’s desire for reconciliation and his view that “Irrespective of the uniforms we wore, we were all victims”.

Members of the public are encouraged to pay their respects to Harry by lining the route of the cortege as it travels through the centre of Wells to the Cathedral. Silence is requested.
2. Funeral Service

Harry’s funeral service will commence at Noon. The theme of the service will be “Peace and Reconciliation”.
In order to ensure the proper management and control of the service, entry will be by ticket only. Tickets will be made available to the public. You may apply for up to two tickets by one of two means:

A. In person at Wells Cathedral, Cathedral Offices, Chain Gate, Cathedral Green, Wells, BA5 2UE.

B. By post, enclosing an SAE, to the above address.

The tickets will be made available from 9:30 am on Friday 31st July. The total number of tickets available will be 1,050. Three quarters will be available to personal callers, the remainder to postal applications. It is anticipated that all of the tickets will be allocated on Friday 31st July, but if any remain free, they will be available for issue on Monday 3rd and Tuesday 4th August. Please note that some of the public seats will provide a restricted view of the service. The congregation will require to be seated by 11:40 am and will not be able to view the cortege.

Should there be sufficient interest from the public, the service will be relayed by via large screen to the Cathedral Green. The concluding part of the service will be conducted outside the Great West Door of the Cathedral.

B

Biscuits_AB

Tawahi-50 said:
Trotsky said:

City Hall??? How American!
Hardly unexpected though, it was posted by someone who refers to himself as.......'street cop'.

From what I have seen and read of Harry Patch I doubt he would want too much hassle and attension over his death. He seems to have been an incredably modest man all of his life.

RIP

The_Duke

LE
No, but a bunch of wailing fat women are going to descend on the town, stuffing Ginsters' finest in their mouths whilst mumbling "he was England's rose" and throwing flowers at the coffin.

The BFG is organising it all.

The_Duke said:
No, but a bunch of wailing fat women are going to descend on the town, stuffing Ginsters' finest in their mouths whilst mumbling "he was England's rose" and throwing flowers at the coffin.

FFS now Chubb will write a poem :evil:

rickshaw-major said:
The_Duke said:

After you with the Mess Webbly,Old chap.... 8O

oldbaldy said:
Seems they are doing a fair bit for a favourtie son:

The funeral of Harry Patch will take place on Thursday 6th August 2009. There are two public elements to the day.
1. Cortege

At approximately 11:30 am Harry’s coffin will begin its journey from Fletcher House to Wells Cathedral. The coffin will be flanked by 6 private soldiers of the Rifles Regiment, the successor to Harry’s Regiment, the Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry. The coffin will also be flanked by two private soldiers of each of the armies of Belgium, France and Germany. In this way, it is hoped to symbolise Harry’s desire for reconciliation and his view that “Irrespective of the uniforms we wore, we were all victims”.

Members of the public are encouraged to pay their respects to Harry by lining the route of the cortege as it travels through the centre of Wells to the Cathedral. Silence is requested.
2. Funeral Service

Harry’s funeral service will commence at Noon. The theme of the service will be “Peace and Reconciliation”.
In order to ensure the proper management and control of the service, entry will be by ticket only. Tickets will be made available to the public. You may apply for up to two tickets by one of two means:

A. In person at Wells Cathedral, Cathedral Offices, Chain Gate, Cathedral Green, Wells, BA5 2UE.

B. By post, enclosing an SAE, to the above address.

The tickets will be made available from 9:30 am on Friday 31st July. The total number of tickets available will be 1,050. Three quarters will be available to personal callers, the remainder to postal applications. It is anticipated that all of the tickets will be allocated on Friday 31st July, but if any remain free, they will be available for issue on Monday 3rd and Tuesday 4th August. Please note that some of the public seats will provide a restricted view of the service. The congregation will require to be seated by 11:40 am and will not be able to view the cortege.

Should there be sufficient interest from the public, the service will be relayed by via large screen to the Cathedral Green. The concluding part of the service will be conducted outside the Great West Door of the Cathedral.
Cheers indeed for posting that, Oldbaldy. Very much appreciated, I assure you!

Unfortunately, I'll be in Fribourg, Switzerland on business at the appointed hour, but I'd already passed on the details to my Swiss friends of this rare Gentleman's funeral and apparently the news went round like shite t'rough a fückin' goose!

All fückin' day, I've been fielding phone-calls and e-mails wanting to know Mr Patch's military colours, his awards, his capbadge, where he fought and all manner of details.

It seems that about thirty-three million Frogs are about descend on Fribourg to celebrate The Gentleman Mr Harry Patch and lament his very sad passing. Not to mention the Swiss military (just about every fückin' male over 18), who really are interested in giving your most admirable man a corresponding sendoff.

I'll do my very best to get a few good piccies that we can proudly add to the Harry Patch wall. A most incredible gentleman and much missed.

May you indeed rest in peace, sir, for you have more than done your part!

MsG

spike7451 said:
rickshaw-major said:
The_Duke said:

Why - do you think I'll miss her with the first shot or do you just want to empty ammo into her lifeless cadaver? :D

rickshaw-major said:
spike7451 said:
rickshaw-major said:
The_Duke said:

Why - do you think I'll miss her with the first shot or do you just want to empty ammo into her lifeless cadaver? :D
That & the ammo's nearly life ex. :twisted: