Wellies - which are good and which arent

I haven't had a pair of wellies since I was a child, preferring to wear either walking boots or combat boots when the world got muddy. However, having left Army I now think wearing combat boots and jeans makes me look like a hunt saboteur (I'm not) and my walking boots haven't been that useful at keeping my legs and feet dry in the recent rain and snow. I'm thinking of finally relenting and buying a pair of wellies.

I'm after something that'll do for gardening and a little bit of off-road walking (maybe a couple of hours at a time max). I don't want to spend a huge amount on them, but I do want them to be warm, comfortable and reasonably hard wearing.

Any thoughts on the best brands/models and the cheapest places to get them.

Thanks,

I

Josey get a grip! For one hunters aren't expensive, Le Chameau are expensive. Hunter wellies are proper wellies, every one knows that! If you want really, really expensive wellies my uncle got a pair of Landrover wellies chucked in when he bought a £40K+ Range rover.

If you are an energetic gardener, it may be worth considering safety wellies, with a steel toe-cap and shank. the fire-fighter's wellies on Josey's site would suit, as you also want them to be warm, and the soles are thermally insulated. The loops on the side may not be to everyone's taste, but they make pulling your boots on extremely easy.

Just go to your local fishing shop

Nokian Trimmi LINK are also good. They used to be sold as "bog trotters" in the UK

If you do have some cash, then I would recommend the Le chameau veganord evolution outlast.
Vibram sole like a walking boot and nice thermal lining. coolish in summer and toasty in the winter.
they are dark green as opposed to trendy shooting light green.
(still over £130 notes though :oops: ) online such as norris or bushwear better unless you have a friendly local shop that can do a deal

Interceptor - Dunlop Suretreads. Not trendy, but have have a fantastic grippy sole and cost under £20. They cope with everything - I use mine for caving, gardening, trudging through bogs and snow, river wading, etc, etc...

blueygirl said:
Interceptor - Dunlop Suretreads. Not trendy, but have have a fantastic grippy sole and cost under £20. They cope with everything - I use mine for caving, gardening, trudging through bogs and snow, river wading, etc, etc...
Yup Dunlop Suretreads are as good as they come.
Tough as old boot's and by far the best grip on a pair of wellies, particularly on wet rock where a lot of wellies are useless.
I go through 3 or 4 pairs a year so I've probably had 15 or 20 pairs and they are by far the best.

jagman said:
blueygirl said:
Tough as old boot's and by far the best grip on a pair of wellies, particularly on wet rock where a lot of wellies are useless.
I go through 3 or 4 pairs a year so I've probably had 15 or 20 pairs and they are by far the best.
I had to buy a pair of these once in an emergency and although they do have good tread, they weigh a frickin ton and they fit funny, they are really wide on the foot, not particularly warm and really unflexable.

D0lly86 said:
jagman said:
blueygirl said:
I had to buy a pair of these once in an emergency and although they do have good tread, they weigh a frickin ton and they fit funny, they are really wide on the foot, not particularly warm and really unflexable.
Thick socks :D
The re-inforced soles make them a bit rigid, can't say I'd noticed the weight much. I often wear them with neoprene socks anyway which makes a huge difference warmth wise.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
cog_gunner Officers 2
Topper_Logan Weapons, Equipment & Rations 7
S The NAAFI Bar 7