Wellies - which are good and which arent

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Interceptor, Feb 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I haven't had a pair of wellies since I was a child, preferring to wear either walking boots or combat boots when the world got muddy. However, having left Army I now think wearing combat boots and jeans makes me look like a hunt saboteur (I'm not) and my walking boots haven't been that useful at keeping my legs and feet dry in the recent rain and snow. I'm thinking of finally relenting and buying a pair of wellies.

I'm after something that'll do for gardening and a little bit of off-road walking (maybe a couple of hours at a time max). I don't want to spend a huge amount on them, but I do want them to be warm, comfortable and reasonably hard wearing.

Any thoughts on the best brands/models and the cheapest places to get them.

2. You need a pair that fit your feet and the sheeps feet in comfortably allowing forward and backward movement. :lol:
  3. Click on the Argyll boot to enlarge it.
  4. Hunter wellies all the way.
  5. Far too expensive - 'Hunter' by name - hunted by the money when you buy. :wink:
  6. Josey, the Argyll boots you recommended are made by Hunter...
  7. What he said.

Oh and theres no such thing as good AND CHEAP wellies.
  8. You can still find a cheap sheep - 8 yr old and the first four teeth missing. :D
  9. Josey get a grip! For one hunters aren't expensive, Le Chameau are expensive. Hunter wellies are proper wellies, every one knows that! If you want really, really expensive wellies my uncle got a pair of Landrover wellies chucked in when he bought a £40K+ Range rover.
  10. I see youve met my old girlfriend then. :lol: :oops: :p 8)
  11. If you are an energetic gardener, it may be worth considering safety wellies, with a steel toe-cap and shank. the fire-fighter's wellies on Josey's site would suit, as you also want them to be warm, and the soles are thermally insulated. The loops on the side may not be to everyone's taste, but they make pulling your boots on extremely easy.
  12. Just go to your local fishing shop
  13. Try Grub boots at about 50 of the Queens finest. Grub Boots
    My shooting budding wears them and rates them really highly for comfort and warmth
  14. Nokian Trimmi LINK are also good. They used to be sold as "bog trotters" in the UK