Well worth a go- Chicken Fried Steak.

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by big ned, Feb 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here's a recipe I tried last night and it's pretty good. I used cheap frying steak, it was on offer at Morrisons so I weighed in. This steak is nearly always pretty tough when fried, so I decided to do a chicken fried steak like I've had in the States, and it was really good. The secret is giving the steak a good hiding with a tenderising mallet before you start, beat it out until it's about 1/4 to 3/8" thick and nearly twice as big as when you started, then your'e good to go.

■3 pounds frying steak
    ■1-1/2 cup Whole Milk, Plus Up To 2 Cups For Gravy
    ■2 whole Large Eggs
    ■3 cups plain Flour
    ■Seasoned Salt or sea salt
    ■1/4 teaspoon Cayenne or to taste
    ■LOTS Of Black Pepper. Lots.
    ■Vegetable/Corn Oil, For Frying
    ■Sea Salt And Coarsely ground Pepper, For Both Meat And Gravy
    Preparation Instructions
    Begin with an assembly line of dishes for the meat: milk mixed with egg in one; flour mixed with spices in one; meat in one; then have one clean plate at the end to receive the breaded meat.

Work one piece of meat at a time. Season both sides with salt and pepper, then dip in the milk/egg mixture. Next, place the meat on the plate of seasoned flour. Turn to coat thoroughly. Place the meat back into the milk/egg mixture, turning to coat. Place back in the flour and turn to coat.
    (So: wet mixture/dry mixture/wet mixture/dry mixture.) Place breaded meat on the clean plate, then repeat with remaining meat.

Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Drop in a few sprinkles of flour to make sure it's sufficiently hot. Cook meat, two pieces at a time, until edges start to look golden brown; around 2 to 2 1/2 minutes each side.

Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and keep warm. Repeat until all meat is cooked.

After all meat is fried, pour off most of the the grease, leaving about 3 tablespoons worth in the pan and return to the heat.

Sprinkle 1/3 cup flour evenly over the grease. Using a whisk, mix flour with grease, creating a golden-brown paste. Keep cooking until it reaches a deep golden brown colour. If paste seems more oily than pasty, sprinkle in another tablespoon of flour and whisk.

Whisking constantly, pour in milk. Cook to thicken the gravy. Be prepared to add more milk if it becomes overly thick. Add salt and coarsely ground pepper and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until gravy is smooth and thick. Be sure to taste to make sure gravy is sufficiently seasoned.

Serve meat next to a big side of mashed potatoes and corn on the cob or veg of your choice. Pour gravy over the whole shebang!

Total prep and cooking time was about 40 minutes.

Regards, Ned.
  2. Sounds good, ill have a go at that in the week, will make a change from the usual. While in the states did you try pulled pork, i have a pretty good recipe for that if you are in to slow cooker cooking?
  3. Get it on here then, I love pulled pork.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. HHH

HHH LE

As it's not the NAAFI Bar I'll not make any reference to the innuendo possible here ! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I understand that pulled pork makes it's own gravy...
    • Like Like x 2
  6. It does to a certain extent but you need to add some 'stuff' to make that gravy flavour the pork during the last hour or so of cooking. Basically, nothing scientific here, take a pork loin joint (I have used shoulder but it just isnt the same). You can remove the fat (Crackling) before you start if you like but i give mine to the dog so tend to cook it anyway and it will just fall off after the main cooking session.

Plonk the pork joint into your slow cooker

Mix in a jug: all USA measurements unfortunately, i lived there a while so have all their measures.

1 1/2 cups of cider vinegar, you can use balsamic but i prefer cider vinegar.

1 1/2 cups of ketchup (Heinz 57 does nicely) or you can use a BBQ sauce, best one i have used is the reggae reggae BBQ sauce.

3/4 Cup of hard packed brown sugar

Give all a damn good stir and pour over the pork.

You can also add some BBQ seasoning at this stage, just sprinkle it all over pork and 'gravy'.

Cook on low heat for 8 hours - ish. I usually scrape all the sauce off the joint at about the 2 hour point to give plenty of fluid to cook in but you dont have to.

Remove the pork, good luck with this as it just falls apart, i use a couple of big serving spoons to get it out onto a plate.

Pull it all apart with a couple of forks, it wont take long as it is so tender. If you have left the fat on just peel it off before you strip the meat.

Put the meat back into the slow cooker for at least an hour so that the gravy/juice stuff fully soaks in.

I usually serve it in one of those half cooked baguettes thingys and just wolf it down. Usually does me and the Mrs two nights on the trot (No pun intended) no probs, if you have the boys round then loads of salad is the way to make it go round.

Have fun and let me know what you think of it.
  7. You have a clean mind Crimson Hussar, I'd see somebody about that...:)
  8. Not clean at all i've been in long to have been well contaminated but its a cooking thread, no room for smut here.......................... now get yourself away and get that pork pulled!
  9. Pulled Pork is a great barbecue flavour crock pot dinner and home made barbecue sauces can be lovely. Ketchups and brown sauce, Lea and Perrins and pickels are under valued cooking sauces. Seen it done with pickles and mustard too, lovely white baps and a cold beer.
  10. OK, I'll ask the question.

It's called chicken-fried steak. Chicken is not listed as an ingredient... Er...
  11. Coated like deep fried chicken, or a wiener schnitzel, pretty tasty. Not too keen on the library paste that the Yanks call gravy though.
  12. I love chicken-fried steak, especially with twice baked potato.

The CFS recipe I have (if I can find it ) calls for the steak to be marinated first.
  13. If anyone considers buying meat from Morrison's be warned the butchery dept's first job on a morning is changing dates.
  14. you should try these ones, they are excellent- ignore the redneck, he knows how to cook though

Potato Bombs recipe by the BBQ Pit Boys - YouTube
  15. CFS is food for gods with a biscuit. First had it in Oklahoma, then again in Texas.