Well that got under the RADAR. Stand by for Op Olympic Cordon

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2011/18/section/28/enacted

The latest armed forces act amends mobilisation requirements to include:

"urgent work of national importance" ...... not in the sense that might have been intended when the term was coined in 1939 but now to provide some cheap labour for...... the f cking olympics!

Call out of reserve forcesIn section 56 of the Reserve Forces Act 1996 (call out for certain operations), after subsection (1) insert—“(1A)Where—(a)work is approved in accordance with instructions issued by the Defence Council under the Defence (Armed Forces) Regulations 1939 as being urgent work of national importance, and(b)the Defence Council have by order under those Regulations authorised members of any forces to be temporarily employed in such work,the Secretary of State may make an order authorising the calling out of members of a reserve force for the purposes of carrying out such work.”
TAQ volume 12 page 6 said:
Background
The proposed changes originated with a request by the Olympic
Security Directorate for the MoD to supply a Contingency Force of circa
1000 personnel. The MoD will task 2nd Battalion, Princess of Wales’s
Royal Regt (2PWRR) to command and generate about 500 Regular
personnel, with the additional 500 to be generated from the Reserve.
Further Regular support will not be available without breaking predeployment
training cycles or post-deployment harmony requirements.
Why does it need a change to legislation?
Because the Reserve Forces Act 1996 (RFA 96) does not provide suitable
powers to enable Reserves’ mobilisation for the Olympics. Nor could
they be used to support further UK Operations outside of the current
provision, which is limited to ‘in time of disaster or apprehended
disaster’.
The proposed amendment via the Armed Forces Bill will allow Reserves
to be mobilised where the requirement falls under the scope of the
Emergency Powers Act 1964 (‘urgent work of national importance’).
This is currently used as one of the methods to enable a Regular Army
response to requests for Military Aid to the Civil Powers (MACA).
So is this a good or bad thing for the TA?
It’s good.
"It's good" of course it is Seb "spineless" Coe said so!

Nah. Been mooted for a considerable amount of time. Drafts were available and discussed around here somewhere.

if were mobilized, do we get a nice blingy medal ?????

It's been passed into law. Check the link.
The law also says that one can amble through the centre of Londinium with cattle and sheep...............grow up for fecks sake!!!!

if were mobilized, do we get a nice blingy medal ?????
Nope and you'd probably be expected to live at home and pay for your own travel and subsistance, of course that's only a rumour.

no medal, i will do a TOSCA insted,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Nope and you'd probably be expected to live at home and pay for your own travel and subsistance, of course that's only a rumour.
I think you're being unnecessarily negative, I'm sure they'd stump up for an Oyster card.

I do worry that high ranking staff officers, having their fingers on the pulse as always, actually believe that the TA all still live within spitting distance of their TACs. Which means that plans may be being made for London based units that won't survive contact with reality.

I think you're being unnecessarily negative, I'm sure they'd stump up for an Oyster card.

I do worry that high ranking staff officers, having their fingers on the pulse as always, actually believe that the TA all still live within spitting distance of their TACs. Which means that plans may be being made for London based units that won't survive contact with reality.
Sssshhhhh don't let on eh.

I wish I knew how to do one of those winking things.

STABS earmarked for the st pauls clean up perhaps ????????????

It's been passed into law. Check the link.
Indeed. The difference being "thus has been passed in to law and nobody has ever said anything about it" versus "if you kept your finger on the pulse, this has been discussed in numerous circles, even on previously here on ARRSE, and published drafts have been available for about 8 months."

If this was a surprise to you then you weren't paying attention.

And as I've said on another thread your employer can still say "No, I'm not going to release you to litter pick for a month."

Which means the regs are going to be fucked around from pillar to post and bump their gums about the fecking STABs. Winner.

Who comes up with this shit? ******* sack them. Now.