Well not take a pay cut, say our councillors

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vampireuk, Dec 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/We39ll-not-take-a-pay.4773555.jp

The glory of my local council.

2. Stop voting for them then... :D :D :D :D

3. I vote for the monster raving looney party where possible. :p

4. We vote these parasites into 'office' - we can vote them out again.

OK, I'm a thicko', but this year, 2008, aged 67, I finally understood that councilors were paid!

5. Plus the most corrupt thing about the whole scam is that many also have many local business interests with the area that they are paid councillors for.

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

42 votes to four suggests that no matter who you vote in or out, they will still serve themselves a healthy plate full - and slap the cost on your council tax - after all, aren't they all doing a great job? My local council raises 5.5 million per annum in parking fees and fines off the local people. Great job - great for local businesses, and great for the hard-pressed local people - just what's needed in these difficult times.

7. Plus the most corrupt thing about the whole scam is that many also have many local business interests with the area that they are paid councillors for.[/quote]

This is why they have to fill in the declaration of interest book which you are at liberty to view. Should they try and use their position they are likely to be dragged before the standards commitee. So vested interests must be declared.

8. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Don't why they should. Leadership comes from the top and I don't see our glorious MPs asking for a cut. Do you? Why on Earth should anyone below them do anything otherwise than follow their lead? :roll:

9. To be honest does it really bother anyone that much, they take a 10% cut and that's £51,000 a year saved, if you look at town hall and the council offices you'll find a bunch of people sitting in posts earning between £50000-150000 and doing nothing, that's the real area within councils that need trimming.

As for the councillors, i have no problem with some of them, in my old place most were just normal guys like the local postie, binman and jobs like that, doing a bit for the community, although they did used to rip the arse out of the claims. It's the guys who go for a place on the local councillors board who are in it for profits at the councils expense, those wanting planning permision or making sure that competitors are kept out and doing the usual favours for their mates, these guys are the parasites, usually very well off anyway and 10k to them is less than their golf membership.